PDA

View Full Version : unfair policing

Tom Cornwall
19-Apr-10, 11:32
we have been getting affected by some quite active anti-social behavior in our area for about a month...it goes on well into the night...we call the police to try to get the perpetrators moved..the police arrive and go off...a few minutes later it's as bad as ever...the police say 'we are ticking the boxes so that if someone comes up a few times they can do something to them'....we say ' it's not working and can we have some zero-tolerance policing' ....they say 'no way' ...then we say if we go out and remonstrate with these yoofs what'll happen...the police say we'd be arrested... becaues we're older and should know better...so is it one law for one and another law for others.. seems unfair, to me

Lavenderblue2
19-Apr-10, 15:38
What a nightmare for you but it's the same all over Tom, you can't do right , for doing wrong.... :confused

Best leave them and the police to it, there has been worse happen than to the complainant then getting arrested in the past.

Better be safe than sorry.

Tom Cornwall
19-Apr-10, 16:14
What a nightmare for you but it's the same all over Tom, you can't do right , for doing wrong.... :confused

Best leave them and the police to it, there has been worse happen than to the complainant then getting arrested in the past.

Better be safe than sorry.
that's easy for you to say, marg..but the police seem very complacent and in no hurry

The Drunken Duck
19-Apr-10, 16:20
Have a read of the Inspector Gadget blog, its written by a serving Inspector and it highlights the ludicrous target driven environment the Police have to deal with. Most Coppers feel the same way as the rest of us but they are quite literally powerless.

That said I got some hassle from a group of guys in Wick one time over a trivial issue, two of them turned up outside my house brandishing baseball bats and wearing balaclava's. I took two photos of them and went to the Police station where I was told that I could be done for taking photo's of them without their permission !!, I then pointed out that to do that they would have to admit it was them (I recognised their voices and could identify them) and wouldn't that basically seal the case for a prosecution against them ??, I was told that "it didnt change this issue sir"

Being diplomatic .. she isnt CID material.

Gronnuck
19-Apr-10, 16:23
Unfortunately you don’t give enough details to be able to give you any constructive advice. How old are the people and how many of them are there?

I noticed your location is Norfolk so I doubt if my advice will be of any use given that my experience is with Scottish Law. However if you do the research you might find the equivalent in English law.
A Breach of the Peace is a crime in common law and is constituted by one or more persons conducting himself, or themselves, in a riotous or disorderly manner to the alarm, annoyance or disturbance of the public.
The essential elements are that it is a common law crime and can take place anywhere; it can be committed by one or a number of people; the conduct of the person or persons must be riotous or disorderly; the general public must be alarmed, annoyed or disturbed OR likely to be by the behaviour.

In Scotland the legislation in more detail is in the Civic Government (Scotland) Act 1982 or in the more recent Crime and Disorder Act 1998. There probably is comparable legislation in English law.

You could of course ask to see the officer in charge of your local Police Station and discuss your concerns with him or her.

horseman
19-Apr-10, 17:25
Yes Tom happens, an it sure as hell 'aint registered to the the N.O S.
This numptie attitude is now well spread in the uk!!!
No need to expand on it, simply try reading most any of the local papers- might try inviting you to the Corby Evening Telegraph! Load of laughs-not.--
Apart from this weeks highlight--All those kids who were zapped an suffered deformities of their limbs--due to poxy council control of rancid waste from the steel works.
At last the families,have acquiried some justice,pigging late for the bairns-few ££££'s will no doubt help out --but where the hell was it many years ago???
An why in the name of creation are us council tax payers now being denied knowledge of how much---yes- probably millions--that they are now being legaly 'forced' to pay out (of our money) an all of account of not fessing up all those years ago. Would have been a hell of a lot less ,an a damm sight more use to the families than.
Ask me if I am voting Labour this time?? An this is a real marginal!
So what do I do ?go Tory or Lib-Dem?I 'aint got a clue!But I know where I aint going-an that to the Phil Hope cross. Bloody sad affair all round.;An I am not reffering to the mp's forty odd grands worth of repayal earlyier on this year!!Worthy thou' it was!!! Far to many years too late.!

ducati
19-Apr-10, 18:36
Have a read of the Inspector Gadget blog, its written by a serving Inspector and it highlights the ludicrous target driven environment the Police have to deal with. Most Coppers feel the same way as the rest of us but they are quite literally powerless.

That said I got some hassle from a group of guys in Wick one time over a trivial issue, two of them turned up outside my house brandishing baseball bats and wearing balaclava's. I took two photos of them and went to the Police station where I was told that I could be done for taking photo's of them without their permission !!, I then pointed out that to do that they would have to admit it was them (I recognised their voices and could identify them) and wouldn't that basically seal the case for a prosecution against them ??, I was told that "it didnt change this issue sir"

Being diplomatic .. she isnt CID material.

If you tell them to come quick or you will be forced to shoot, they turn up right away :eek:

Lavenderblue2
19-Apr-10, 18:44
that's easy for you to say, marg..but the police seem very complacent and in no hurry

I know exactly what you mean Tom, it is sooo exasperating when the police seem to do very little in response to your complaint. We had it 40+ years ago when we lived in the south - kids putting bangers through our letterbox night after night - in the end my husband ran out and caught the little ....whatsits; he gave them a right good telling off, that was all and guess what - yes, we had the police on our door - they gave hubby a right roasting... these days he would have been arrested. But the worrying thing these days these yobbo's are not afraid to retaliate with violence, that is what I meant about leaving them to it, I didn't mean to treat it lightly.

dx100uk
20-Apr-10, 01:56
flash camera works nicely
or even a video camera

they'll soon get the msg

dx

The Drunken Duck
20-Apr-10, 07:30
Hows this for unfair Policing ?? .. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1267136/Father-banned-driving-getting-wheel-toy-Barbie-car-drunk.html

:D:D .. Brilliant.

ducati
20-Apr-10, 08:19
Hows this for unfair Policing ?? .. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1267136/Father-banned-driving-getting-wheel-toy-Barbie-car-drunk.html

:D:D .. Brilliant.

You'll never catch me rozzer! Oh :lol:

Leanne
20-Apr-10, 13:18
I think the key is to keep a diary of everything that goes on and report every incident to the police, but whatever you do don't retaliate. Don't even acknowledge the thugs existence - as soon as you do you actually encourage them to target you more. They then know they can wind you up and will make it their lifes' goal. Be clever!

Pastychomper
20-Apr-10, 13:29
...I took two photos of them and went to the Police station where I was told that I could be done for taking photo's of them without their permission !!...

If you need permission to take pictures of people outside your house, how do so many businesses get away with having CCTV cameras pointed at their entrances? Any innocent passer-by could be photographed to within an inch of their lives!

Maybe you should have a little sign on the door saying "By knocking on, or otherwise using, this door you agree to be photographed for any purpose."

Tom Cornwall
21-Apr-10, 13:57
Unfortunately you don’t give enough details to be able to give you any constructive advice. How old are the people and how many of them are there?

I noticed your location is Norfolk so I doubt if my advice will be of any use given that my experience is with Scottish Law. However if you do the research you might find the equivalent in English law.
A Breach of the Peace is a crime in common law and is constituted by one or more persons conducting himself, or themselves, in a riotous or disorderly manner to the alarm, annoyance or disturbance of the public.
The essential elements are that it is a common law crime and can take place anywhere; it can be committed by one or a number of people; the conduct of the person or persons must be riotous or disorderly; the general public must be alarmed, annoyed or disturbed OR likely to be by the behaviour.

In Scotland the legislation in more detail is in the Civic Government (Scotland) Act 1982 or in the more recent Crime and Disorder Act 1998. There probably is comparable legislation in English law.

You could of course ask to see the officer in charge of your local Police Station and discuss your concerns with him or her.

thanks for your input...these are between the ages of 12 and 20 years old..can't tell most of the time because they have their hoods up...the arrive on the green area early evening and it goes on into the night,...we've had the police up trying to clear them off at 3.30 in the morning...under-age drinking, shouting, cursing and swearing and the girls screaming..we're not sleeping properly and the authorities seem very complacent