PDA

View Full Version : Forgotten men

John Little
18-Apr-10, 21:49
I am slightly subdued over the matter of Portgower at the moment. The vampires thread is enjoyable but I just came across something about a man from Portgower who died a hero far from home.

When I retire I have a small ambition to fill my time. I want to write a paragraph in a small book about each of the men whose names appear on the local war memorial. That would make them more than just names for people who want to buy it from the local post office. It's not an original idea but I would find it interesting.

On December 23 1926 Winnipeg Theatre, Canada, was struck by a disastrous fire. One of the firemen in attendance was from Portgower; Donald Melville.

"All four of the men who died were First World War veterans and were long-time firemen. Smith had lived in Winnipeg for 16 years and was born in Aberdeen, Scotland. Stewart had been born in Perth, Scotland, and had resided in Canada for 20 years, seven of them in Winnipeg. Shearer was a native of Banff, Scotland, and had been in Winnipeg for 15 years. Melville, the brother of Winnipeg police detective-sergeant James Melville, was born in Port Gower, Scotland. Although there is no report on how long he had been in Winnipeg, Melville had served on the city’s fire department for 14 years and five months.
It was reported at the inquest by Roy Turner of No. 2 firehall that Melville’s last words were a warning to run for safety. “Come on Roy, the gallery is giving way!”

A soldier, and at the last, giving warning to another. All honour to a brave man.

http://www.winnipegrealestatenews.com/Editorials.aspx?id=1038

And it made me wonder if there are any more out there. And if you know of any.

ducati
18-Apr-10, 21:54
A very brave man. It does beg the question and forgive me for this, but, does he still live in Portgower? :eek:

John Little
18-Apr-10, 22:34
Portgower has done its bit...

DAVIDSON, Alexander Military Medal
Regimental Number: 446853
Unit: 85th (Nova Scotia Highlanders) Battalion, Canadian Expeditionary Force
Died: Killed in Action 30.10.17.
Parents: James Davidson and Catherine MacKay Davidson of Portgower.
Home: Nova Scotia
Enlisted: Canada
Medals: Military Medal.
Buried: Tyne Cot Cemetery, Belgium.
Memorials: Listed on the Loth War Memorial, as Sergeant.
Commemorated on the family headstone, Loth Churchyard
Recorded on page 225 of the Canadian First World War Book of Remembrance, Ottawa.

I was in Tyne Cot 2 weeks ago.

Sage
18-Apr-10, 22:47
In all seriousness there are a lot of forgotten men (and women) out there.

This Portgower resident was indeed a hero, giving his life in this way.

Bet you could trace the residents to some extent and see what happened to them. Start with the census and move forward.