PDA

View Full Version : no flights

katarina
18-Apr-10, 20:11
the latest news says there will be no flights on monday. anyone know the outlook for the rest of the week cos I'm suppose to be flying on Wed. Or is it a day to day thing? I would like to know so I can book the bus if not. Other transport may be busy so booking now might be essential.

Phill
18-Apr-10, 20:25
the latest news says there will be no flights on monday. anyone know the outlook for the rest of the week cos I'm suppose to be flying on Wed. Or is it a day to day thing? I would like to know so I can book the bus if not. Other transport may be busy so booking now might be essential.

Day by day I'm afraid.

starry
18-Apr-10, 20:29
I would book the bus Kat, even if they start flying it is going to be chaos for a couple of days to clear the backlog of people waiting.
I think all other public transport is really busy so booking now is a good idea.

Hope you get where you need to be x

catran
18-Apr-10, 21:18

is it from wick to where its a big problem

annemarie482
18-Apr-10, 21:29
my oh has been trying to get from here to amsterdam for his work on monday.
been no flights since thursday,
his work tried to book alternative transport and all trains and ferries were fully booked due to stranded folk.
even if flights resume, the backlog will be tremendous!
it really is a day by day thing.
i've a friend in aberdeen been trying to get offshore since thursday and still grounded, he's delighted!
aberdeen airport website are saying no flights until 7am tomorrow ,
but the time is getting extended every few hours since thursday so not holding out hope!
good luck!

Gronnuck
18-Apr-10, 21:44
Iceland’s foremost volcano expert Freysteinn Sigmundsson is stuck in Paris because he can’t get a flight home. He reckons Eyjafjallajökull could rumble on for months.
There is some speculation that Katla, barely 25 kilometers to the east might erupt as well.
IMHO you should consider making alternative overland travel arrangements where possible since there is every possibility that UK airspace could be closed for days if not weeks.

catran
18-Apr-10, 21:50
i am trying to get wick aberdeen london next week on |Wednesday reckon \i too will have to take the bus or train what a thought but needs must as cannot leave it to chance for the flights to be on the go and what happens with all the waiting passengers?????????

Absolut1
18-Apr-10, 22:45
i've a friend in aberdeen been trying to get offshore since thursday and still grounded, he's delighted!

Wish I was still grounded I was one of the unlucky 7 flights that left aberdeen on saturday they stopped any more outgoing flights 6 mins after we left!!!!!

Tugmistress
18-Apr-10, 23:01
We must have been one of the last to leave gatwick, guess it's just going to be a waiting game for us to get home! ....... i don't fancy a 4000 mile swim!

changilass
18-Apr-10, 23:05
My mum was on a cruise and should have come home the day the sky closed (my son's description).

She is now sunning herself in Crete on full board, jammy so and so.

Good luck to her I say.

18-Apr-10, 23:44
I think they have said no flights up until 7pm Monday night and then they will make the decision again whether or not to let flights continue

upolian
18-Apr-10, 23:45
Its 7am in the morning and they will see if things take off from there 'no pun intended'

bluechesse
19-Apr-10, 00:20
Iceland’s foremost volcano expert Freysteinn Sigmundsson is stuck in Paris because he can’t get a flight home. He reckons Eyjafjallajökull could rumble on for months.
There is some speculation that Katla, barely 25 kilometers to the east might erupt as well.
IMHO you should consider making alternative overland travel arrangements where possible since there is every possibility that UK airspace could be closed for days if not weeks.

WEEKS???:confused Im stuck in the middle east, due home in 2 weeks time. Hope its cleared by then, or its a flight in the wrong direction, then about a 4 day train journey across some rather undesirable parts to get to France........ Nightmare!

bigno48
19-Apr-10, 15:34
My wife is stuck in Norway. It seems to be difficult to get south so she can cross at Dover and travel back again. Does anybody know a fishing boat going from Norway in the next few days ?

bekisman
19-Apr-10, 17:11
Has there been a big over-reaction? - I can understand that flying over a spouting volcano is dodgy (watched Documentary on the BA Flight 9) but British Airways, who know the possible danger involved are saying the following..
'It (BA) also wants UK airspace restrictions eased after its test flight through the no-fly zone revealed "no variations in... normal operational performance".
On Sunday, BA ran a two-and-a-half-hour test flight over the Atlantic to assess any damage caused by the ash. Mr Walsh said: "The analysis we have done so far, alongside that from other airlines' trial flights, provides fresh evidence that the current blanket restrictions on airspace are unnecessary."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8629674.stm (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8629674.stm)

scrabster view
19-Apr-10, 17:18
Flight cancellation update
Last updated: 16:00, 19 April 2010
Flights are cancelled at all BAA airports until 07:00 on Tuesday 20 April at the earliest.
From 07:00 on Tuesday 20 April, Scottish airspace will be open and the restrictions around London airports may be lifted later in the day. However, we strongly advise passengers to check the status of their flight with their airline (http://www.heathrowairport.com/assets/Internet/Heathrow/Heathrow%20downloads/Static%20files/AirlineList.pdf) before travelling to the airport.
We will continue to update this site with the latest information available. We are sorry for the disruption and inconvenience this will cause and thank passengers for their continued patience.

Amy-Winehouse
19-Apr-10, 21:19
Wick to Aberdeen flight tomorrow at 5-45 is flying . I just checked Eastern Airways site , But theres a 5 day backlog on helicopter flights ;) Shorter trip this time for some

Sara Jevo
19-Apr-10, 21:42
Has there been a big over-reaction? - I can understand that flying over a spouting volcano is dodgy (watched Documentary on the BA Flight 9) but British Airways, who know the possible danger involved are saying the following..
'It (BA) also wants UK airspace restrictions eased after its test flight through the no-fly zone revealed "no variations in... normal operational performance".
On Sunday, BA ran a two-and-a-half-hour test flight over the Atlantic to assess any damage caused by the ash. Mr Walsh said: "The analysis we have done so far, alongside that from other airlines' trial flights, provides fresh evidence that the current blanket restrictions on airspace are unnecessary."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8629674.stm (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8629674.stm)

I heard on the radio tonight that the closure of airspace is a regulation. Apparently, there's some expert centre on volcanoes eruptions and whenever it issues a red alert there is an international regulation that requires air traffic control to close affected air space on safety grounds. Presumably, that regulation was set based on scientific and safety advice. If the alert drops below red, air traffic control people can make their own judgement.

I suspect the more money that airlines and airports lose, the louder the voices will become that it's all just mad scientists intent on destroying civilisation blah blah blah . . . Nothing to do with the share price, of course.

I cannot explain exactly why I keep thinking of "bankers" when I hear the squealing.

Tony
19-Apr-10, 22:31
Seem to be many in Europe still on the move if this is actually live as they say.

http://www.flightradar24.com/

And the U.S.

http://www4.passur.com/jfk.html

Anfield
19-Apr-10, 23:02

Also worth noting that a "test" plane from MetOffice, and a couple of Finland military jets did report that there was evidence of "ash penetration" to engines during flights.

I will fly again when MP's and Windsor family take to the skies again

brandy
19-Apr-10, 23:09
my dad is flying over in July for a visit.. and i was joking with him last night.. that he may not make it if the airways are still closed.. eeep.. what if im right!!

Phill
19-Apr-10, 23:13
Plenty of flights PLANNED for tomorrow.

Eastern are aiming for four flights between Wick & Aberdeen by the looks of things.
The three Heli operators look like their making a go of things too.

Amy-Winehouse
20-Apr-10, 10:15
All the Helicopter flights are on hold again :D

bekisman
20-Apr-10, 10:51
I know it's long, and yesterday, but gives an idea of the rest of Europe:

The Associated Press= Airlines in Europe are expected to fly between 8,000 and 9,000 of the 28,000 scheduled flights Monday because of a flying ban in major parts of Europe, the Eurocontrol air traffic control agency said.
Airspace in southern Europe — including Portugal, Spain, parts of Italy, France, the Balkans, Bulgaria, Greece and Turkey, and parts of northern Europe — is open. Upper airspace is available in some areas but difficult to access.
U.K.: All airspace closed until at least 0100 GMT Tuesday (9 p.m. EDT Monday).
Ireland: Airports will resume limited services at 0400 GMT Tuesday (midnight EDT). Irish Airline Aer Lingus hopes to resume a normal timetable after 1300 GMT (9 a.m. EDT).
France: Flights from the Paris airports to some cities in southern France — including Bordeaux, Toulouse, Marseille and Nice — are to resume starting at 0600 GMT (12 a.m. EDT) Tuesday.
Germany: Airspace closed for regular flights until Tuesday at 1200 GMT (8 a.m. EDT). However, airlines were permitted to operate a limited number of passenger flights Monday under so-called visual flight rules, meaning that they had to fly at low levels in German airspace.
Austria: Austria reopened its airspace. Permission to resume takeoffs and landings took effect at 0300 GMT Monday (11 p.m. EDT Sunday), but unclear if airspace will remain open all day. Many flights remain canceled.
Belgium: Belgian airspace remains closed until at least 0600 GMT (12 a.m. EDT) Monday.
The Netherlands: Netherlands airspace closed until further notice and at least until 1200 GMT (8 a.m. EDT).
Switzerland: Airspace closed for flights relying on instruments until at least 0600 GMT (2 a.m. EDT) Tuesday. Planes can fly over Switzerland at altitudes above 21,000 feet (6,400 meters). Federal Office of Civil Aviation expects a second ash cloud to reach the country later Monday.
Italy: Airspace in northern Italy closed until 0600 GMT (2 a.m. EDT) Tuesday, when airspace will be gradually opened, beginning with domestic north-south and south-north flights.
Spain: Reopened all its airports at 1330 GMT Sunday (10:30 a.m. EDT).
Sweden: Airspace restriction lifted over large part of country until at least 1800 GMT (2 p.m. EDT). Stockholm's Arlanda Airport and Goteborg's Landvetter airport have reopened for limited air traffic. Airspace in southeastern Sweden open at high altitudes for passing traffic, but closed for takeoff and landing.
Denmark: Danish airspace above 35,000 feet reopened, so long-haul flights can cross Denmark at high altitude. There is no landing in Denmark. Airspace under 35,000 feet remains closed until 0600 GMT Tuesday (midnight EDT Monday).
Finland: Aviation authority opened Tampere and Turku airports all Monday, and Helsinki airport opened for five hours. Finnish airspace was reclosed at midnight until at least 1100 GMT Tuesday (7 a.m. EDT).
Norway: Authorities have lifted air travel restrictions in most parts of Norway. Oslo's Gardermoen international airport reopened late Sunday night, and Ryanair's Oslo terminals, Torp and Rygge, opened Monday morning. However, authorities warned that they will have to close airspace over Norway's west coast Monday evening if current weather forecasts hold.
Iceland: Flights to UK and mainland Europe suspended indefinitely; flights to U.S. operating normally.
Bulgaria: Reopened airspace for flights above 26,000 feet (8,000 meters). Airports in Sofia, the capital, and southern city of Plovdiv temporarily reopened Sunday afternoon, but flights to all European destinations except Cyprus, Greece and Moscow remained closed.
Poland: Air space remained closed indefinitely, for landings and takeoffs of passenger jets. Planes can fly above 21,000 feet, or 6,400 meters.
Hungary: Fully reopened its air space Monday at 1000 GMT (6 a.m. EDT). Unclear when airlines would start using Budapest's Ferihegy airport after airlines canceled most Monday flights.
Czech Republic: Air space reopened at noon Monday noon (1000 GMT), and all airports across country reopening. Can be reevaluated within 48 hours.
Slovenia: Airspace open until 8 p.m. (1800 GMT). The national airline, Adria Airways, flying to the Balkans, Istanbul and Moscow; not flying north due to closure of most Western Europe airports.
Slovakia: Reopened the country's air space over the eastern part of the country and international airports in Poprad and Kosice. The airport in the capital, Bratislava, remains closed.
Russia: Russian airlines cancel flights to various European points, but Russian airspace remains open.
Croatia: Airspace and all airports opened, though many flights still canceled due to closures at destination airports. Croatian Airlines flying internationally to Rome, Italy, Skopje, Macedonia and Sarajevo, Bosnia, on Monday.
Turkey: Black Sea cities of Zonguldak, Sinop and Samsun were closed until 0900 GMT (5 a.m. EDT) Monday. Istanbul Ataturk, Turkey's main airport, could be affected Monday.
Romania: Airports in western cities of Timisoara and Arad reopened at 0600 GMT (2 a.m. EDT), and airports in the capital Bucharest in southeast reopens at 1200 GMT (8 a.m. EDT). Serbia and Montenegro: Airspace and all airports reopened.

Phill
20-Apr-10, 11:03
Latest version, all change again and long again. (decode linky thing at bottom).

EB Belgium - open as of 0600z 50% reduced rates
EDGG - 20-1800 closed below FL200 seeNotams
EDUU open
EDWW 20-1800 closed below FL245 see Notams
EDMM 20-1800 closed below FL200 see Notams
ED Germany all airports - see relevant Notams
EDYY Maastricht - OPEN
EE Estonia - btw 0800z-1200z airspace open above FL355
btw 1200z-0000z airspace open above FL200
arrivals and departures EETN VFR available
EF Finland - closed 20-2000z for flights above FL 355 contact the FMP
EG London FIR closed below FL 200, 20-1800z
EG Scottish FIR/UIR closed below FL 200, 20-1800z
FLIGHTS INTENDING TO OPERATE IN THE LONDON AND SCOTTISH UIR'S ABOVE FL200 THAT ARE STILL CAUGHT IN ZERO RATES SHOULD CONTACT UKFMP TO BE EXCLUDED
EH Netherlands - open , Operators must refer to NOTAMs
EISN - closed below FL205 until 20-0000z
EIDW - closed until 1200z
EK Denmark - closed below F210, until 20-1200z
EN Bodo - open
EN Oslo - open
EN Stavanger - closed below FL200 until 20-1200z

ESMM Malmo - open above FL205, except sector 7Y, see AIM
ESGG TMA closed 20-0800
ESOS open north of 60n until 20 2000
ESOS closed south of 60n until 20 2000
EV Latvia - closed below FL200 until 20-0600- notam A0109/10
EP Poland - see latest notam A2338/10
LB Bulgaria - open new notam A0506/10 refer
LD Croatia - open
LE Spain - open
LFMM Marseille- open
LFEE Reims - closed up to FL205 until 20-1200, open FL210 and above
LFFF Paris - closed up to FL205 until 20-1800z, for available routes refer to Notam A2325/10
LFRR Brest- closed up to FL205 until 20-1600, open FL210 and above
LFBB Bordeaux- open, except LFBLM sectors FL145-195 closed until 20-1200z
LH Hungary - open see notams
LI Italy Milan - closed up to FL195 21-0000z, except for domestic flights please see notam A2178/10
LI Italy Padova - closed up to FL195 21-0000z
LIRP, LIRQ aerodromes closed until 20-0000z
LJ Slovenia - open Notam A0287/10 refers
LK Czech Republic - open, Notam A0452/10 refers
LO Austria - open over the entire FIR see notam
LR Romania - open Notam A0756/10 refers
LS Zurich - open
LS Geneva - open
LY Serbia - open
LZBB Bratislava - open Notam A0642/10 refers
E-part open (Vamog-Supak) notam C0631/10
UKLV - open
UKOV - open
UKFV - open
UKDV - open

Wikipedia decode (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ICAO_airport_code) of country codes.