PDA

View Full Version : Safety V Economics

ducati
18-Apr-10, 19:15
Just watching BBC News interviews. Reading the tone rather than listening to the words, it would appear that as Airports and Airlines lose more and more money, it will become safer and safer to fly through ash clouds :eek:

lasher
18-Apr-10, 19:30
Yeah was waiting for that to happen

John Little
18-Apr-10, 19:31
"it will become safer and safer to fly through ash clouds :eek:"

not with me on board it won't! Nor anyone with an ounce of sense.

ducati
18-Apr-10, 19:34
"it will become safer and safer to fly through ash clouds :eek:"

not with me on board it won't! Nor anyone with an ounce of sense.

D'accord, will be the Frogs what start it :lol:

John Little
18-Apr-10, 19:40
Probably - Froggies ain't got any sense anyway. Fancy eating snails...

Phill
18-Apr-10, 19:43
Just watching BBC News interviews. Reading the tone rather than listening to the words, it would appear that as Airports and Airlines lose more and more money, it will become safer and safer to fly through ash clouds :eek:

'tis an interesting one this, and I have been following closely.

One question is how much of this 'ash' is safe?
It is in the atmosphere generally but what seems to be the issue is at what density does it become dangerous.

There are mixed opinions within the industry about this and I do not believe the question is weather it is safe or not to fly through an ash cloud but more of is it in the atmosphere as opposed to a cloud of any description and if so at what density is safe?

My opinion is that the immediate reaction was a bit too much and too soon by 12 to 18 hours and a more managed approach should have been made rather than a blanket ban on huge swathes of airspace.

Don't forget this in the larger part has applied to passenger flights. There have been many VFR flights by jet aircraft at a range of levels during the 'ban' and very few have reported any issues.

Clearly lobbing into a known cloud containing a large density of this ash is going to begger ones engine up somewhat, but when we've spent a lot of time looking at largely blue and clear skies it does beg the question, is it just a large portion of arse covering rather than a sensible, measured response to the risk.

Anfield
18-Apr-10, 19:46
Both Luthansa & KLM have carried out test flights, and stated that they found no damage to engines. Wonder how much they paid test pilots to do that sortie?

Phill
18-Apr-10, 20:31
Both Luthansa & KLM have carried out test flights, and stated that they found no damage to engines. Wonder how much they paid test pilots to do that sortie?

There's quite a few that'd be jumping for the opportunity, I'd give it a shot.

ducati
19-Apr-10, 19:21
There's quite a few that'd be jumping for the opportunity, I'd give it a shot.

BA were saying they noticed no adverse effects on a 747 they had up for a couple of hours this morning.

They, like all the other Airlines, are now saying it was an over reaction to close the Airspace.

They also want compensation off the Gov. or us, as we like to call ourselves :lol:. I think a lot of the Travel Insurance won't pay. So some people will be in the position of not getting compensation for cancelled flights and lost trips but will be paying compensation to the Airlines.

Funny old world:confused

John Little
19-Apr-10, 19:24
It's a massive conspiracy by the Green Party to reduce aircraft pollution....

ducati
19-Apr-10, 19:27
It's a massive conspiracy by the Green Party to reduce aircraft pollution....

It would be very interesting to see if the lack of European flights over 5 or so days has had any reducing effect on CO2 in the atmos. locally. ;)

Anfield
19-Apr-10, 21:45
BA were saying they noticed no adverse effects on a 747 they had up for a couple of hours this morning.

They, like all the other Airlines, are now saying it was an over reaction to close the Airspace.

They also want compensation off the Gov. or us, as we like to call ourselves :lol:. I think a lot of the Travel Insurance won't pay. So some people will be in the position of not getting compensation for cancelled flights and lost trips but will be paying compensation to the Airlines.

Funny old world:confused

Also worth noting that "test" plane from MetOffice, and a couple of Finland military jets did report that there was evidence of "ash penetration" to engines during flights.

I will fly again when MP's and Windsor family take to the skies again

ducati
19-Apr-10, 23:56
Also worth noting that "test" plane from MetOffice, and a couple of Finland military jets did report that there was evidence of "ash penetration" to engines during flights.

I will fly again when MP's and Windsor family take to the skies again

Yep, sound's like a plan :cool: