PDA

View Full Version : Horse in a sulk

Commore
17-Apr-10, 19:43
Hi guys, hoping you can offer some advice here,
we have two horses, and one of them is sulking.

Briefly, we put them on another area of our farm and they have not moved (at all) from the spot!

The younger horse is happy to explore but the other is sulking, I think because he misses our constant company,
which was what they both got during the really hard winter we just had, when they were indoors and being generally pampered.

Any ideas on how to get this stubborn horse interested in outdoor life again?
All and any suggestions would be most humbly appreciated.

teenybash
17-Apr-10, 21:53
Maybe a few hand fed treats each day, slowly reducing.....just a few special moments with you so he doesn't feel abandoned......think nyou have a big softy....:)

cameroncara
18-Apr-10, 19:30
Hi guys, hoping you can offer some advice here,
we have two horses, and one of them is sulking.

Briefly, we put them on another area of our farm and they have not moved (at all) from the spot!

The younger horse is happy to explore but the other is sulking, I think because he misses our constant company,
which was what they both got during the really hard winter we just had, when they were indoors and being generally pampered.

Any ideas on how to get this stubborn horse interested in outdoor life again?
All and any suggestions would be most humbly appreciated.

I would be quite concerned that he is not moving at all, they can sulk but not normally for to long, so keep an eye just in case its something more serious. Try placing small piles of hay in several areas so that if he wants to eat he has to move around, i personally would not encourage treats as this could cause more problems in the long term.

Goodluck.

Commore
18-Apr-10, 21:46
I would be quite concerned that he is not moving at all, they can sulk but not normally for to long, so keep an eye just in case its something more serious. Try placing small piles of hay in several areas so that if he wants to eat he has to move around, i personally would not encourage treats as this could cause more problems in the long term.

Goodluck.

Hi, thank you for your comment.
There is nothing wrong with him, he is just sulking.
He has several areas from where he can access hay, barley etc, however, he is choosing not to move around, he is bouncing around when we go near him,
his sparring partner, however, is now moving around ok.

I think, teenybash's idea, might be just what this horse needs, a few hand held treats, a day and I think I may try that first.

I do however, appreciate your post.

Commore
20-Apr-10, 10:36
Thank you both,
the horse is once again a happy horse.
:)