PDA

View Full Version : Laser teeth whitening

bagpuss
16-Apr-10, 22:53
anyone had this done? was it painful?

Metalattakk
16-Apr-10, 23:00
I've never had it done, but I'm considering it seriously.

All my laser teeth are decidedly grey.

16-Apr-10, 23:42
My mate had it done, he said it was sore for a few days after, all he could eat was ice cream. Think it cost him about £100

brandy
17-Apr-10, 08:36
i had it done. wasnt sore.. you should only eat white food for 24 hours, and did cost 100 pounds, but well worth it.. just remember you have to cut back on things that stain your teeth or they are just going to get dingy again.. tea, coffee, cola, smoking...

sharona
17-Apr-10, 08:41
should brush them

riggerboy
17-Apr-10, 08:44
i had it done what a difference no pain at all i just left ma false teeth and went for a pint went back and they looked lovely lol never cost me a penny

b3n
17-Apr-10, 08:49
I had it done, it was only a little sore for the first day, i would get shooting pains in my teeth now and then but after the first day it was fine!

Phill
17-Apr-10, 08:57
I've got a mental picture of Stormtroopers from star wars blatting away at yer gob!!

:eek:

Creme_Egg
17-Apr-10, 09:00
Who does it?....

sharona
17-Apr-10, 10:34
my tooth brush whitens mine wat whiten yours

starry
17-Apr-10, 10:49
Can anyone let me know where you can get this done ?

thanks

smee
17-Apr-10, 11:19
Skin & Tonic, 58 Henrietta Street, Wick have a laser technician about once a month, cost £100. Tel 01955 608808
It can be tender for first 24hrs and as posted you need to avoid hot/cold drinks and any food or drink which has a dye or stain but they explain all this to you and you get an after care leaflet. Looks brill after....bling ;-)

bekisman
17-Apr-10, 11:20
I know the subject of Dentists come up regularly, but just finished a series of Dental procedures in The Dental Practice, main Street, Golspie. Had: Examination, 2 X-Rays, scrape, polish, 7 fillings all done for under £100..

Out of interest just checked Smile Solutions in Thurso. Of course I could join their 'plan' for a sum of £175.84 annually, but if not, the above would have cost me from £660. I am really pleased that we are getting good Polish Dentists coming over and setting up business, and are willing to take NHS patients.. My opinion is that the Dental surgeries that do not take NHS, but continue to charge high tariffs, out of reach by many, will wither on the vine..

Years ago, Mrs Beks and I were on the dental plan at Bridgend, but dropped out when the combination of fees and 'plan' became ridiculous.. :~(

ducati
17-Apr-10, 14:59
I can just imagine in a year or so after everyone in Caithness has had it.

If we all turned to the west and smiled we could blind everyone in Sutherland :lol:

starry
17-Apr-10, 19:20
Thanks Smee

Can I ask some more questions,
how does she do it ?
are the results immediate ?

Cheers x

sharona
17-Apr-10, 20:13
u can get them done in your bathroom like any other normal person

Sarah
17-Apr-10, 20:26
£100 seems quite reasonable! I'd like to have it done, but I'm too afraid of pain!

brandy
17-Apr-10, 20:36
its not painful.. all they do is put a guard in your mouth to hold it open, put gel on and set the light on the teeth.. she checks it about every 15 min. and takes about an hour. at most i had a bit of sensitivity for a few hours. you do get a bib, as its not very dignified and you drool a good bit *grins* but not a big deal.

brandy
17-Apr-10, 20:47
to give you an idea.. this is me before and after laser whitning.. the after is several months after as the pic was taken yesterday and i had it done about nov.
the first pic is a crap pic but shows the teeth well *laughs*
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e346/brandy28655/20091124_35.jpg
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e346/brandy28655/20100415_5.jpg

Dadie
17-Apr-10, 20:48
How long does it take for the bright white teeth to go back to discoloured?
Even if you brush 2 times a day ....You cant really avoid tea, coffee, curry etc for ever!

bekisman
17-Apr-10, 21:20
Seems an interesting thread, just a bit surprised that Sharona keeps putting one-liner posts: "should brush them".. "my tooth brush whitens mine wat whiten yours".. "u can get them done in your bathroom like any other normal person"
Well believe it or not but I brush mine twice a day, with recommended whitener toothpaste. I do not smoke, I do not eat curry, I do not drink black coffee, but my teeth are not white, so your comments are, shall we say rather unnecessary.

PS I'm 'normal' too.

brandy
17-Apr-10, 22:27
welll... dont know how normal i am.. but i too brush my teeth every day.. but i use to drink a lot of diet coke.. and theat just killed my teeth. have now stopped after getting my teeth whitened to get rid of said stains from all the stains and sugars ect.. and has worked, so yup can reccomend it.

Dadie
17-Apr-10, 22:35
I need my tea/coffee fixes throughout the day to keep me going!
So I was wondering if it would be worth me getting my teeth done...
1 day without tea would be hell!

brandy
17-Apr-10, 22:58
well, you would need to go 24 hours without any tea or colored foods or drinks *G* just white food or drink..

babybunt
17-Apr-10, 23:02
I whitened my teeth using custom made trays by the dentist and used bleach in them overnight for 2 weeks. It worked well, the results aren't instant but are defo more long lasting. My teeth were pretty sensitive but bearable, you should always use a high fluoride/sensitive toothpaste before and during the bleaching.

Always bear in mind if you have fillings/crowns on your front teeth they do not bleach and these will need replaced after your whitening treatment.

sharona
18-Apr-10, 13:05
they r still yellow u been sun bathin with your mouth open

Penelope Pitstop
18-Apr-10, 14:03
I know the subject of Dentists come up regularly, but just finished a series of Dental procedures in The Dental Practice, main Street, Golspie. Had: Examination, 2 X-Rays, scrape, polish, 7 fillings all done for under £100..

Out of interest just checked Smile Solutions in Thurso. Of course I could join their 'plan' for a sum of £175.84 annually, but if not, the above would have cost me from £660. I am really pleased that we are getting good Polish Dentists coming over and setting up business, and are willing to take NHS patients.. My opinion is that the Dental surgeries that do not take NHS, but continue to charge high tariffs, out of reach by many, will wither on the vine..

Years ago, Mrs Beks and I were on the dental plan at Bridgend, but dropped out when the combination of fees and 'plan' became ridiculous.. :~(

I was delighted that our family had been taken on the books (so to speak) of the Golspie dental surgery. Unfortunately after we all had our check ups, x-rays we were all gobsmacked to hear that we needed on average 5 fillings each! Couldn't believe it as we are all regular attenders to the dentist.

Anyway wasn't convinced by the dentist that we got so we have all been for a second opinion check up with a private dentist (this dentist didn't know that we had had a check up with the NHS dentist). Was not at all surprised when we were all told that our teeth were fine and didn't need anything done. Seems the private dentist didn't see fit to make any money out of us...but the NHS one did!

From what I've heard about the Golspie dentist no one seems to come out of there needing less than 4 or 5 fillings. :(

On the point about teeth whitening my daughter's friend (dental student) said to her not to have the laser whitening because it's "hard" on your teeth...but the whitening method that uses the trays and the daily whitening solution was less harsh and gave better long term results. I've not had it done so I can't comment. :)

JoSu
18-Apr-10, 14:16
This is Jo from Skin & Tonic Treatment Lounge, Wick.

Our Laser teeth whitening is conducted on a monthly basis by our Smile Therapist, Carly. The system used is ‘Smile Quest’ who are pioneers in the cosmetic teeth whitening industry. The treatment takes 1hr 15mins and costs £99 and lasts up to 2 years.

The next date for the event is Thursday 22nd April, with only limited spaces left.

Your treatment consists of a thorough consultation to establish whether the treatment is suitable or not for the individual plus an explanation of exactly what is involved. Thereafter, a mouth shield is applied to secure the mouth and an oxidising gel is painted onto the teeth. The laser is applied for 10 minutes to intensify the gel and the teeth are then checked. The entire process is repeated up to 3 times in order to achieve maximum results.

Carly is attentive to your needs and ensures the whole process is as effective as possible.

Following treatment you may experience some sensitivity in the teeth and gums however this seems to vary from person to person and will only last 24 hours. Smile Quest have recently launched an alternative gel which you may opt for if you tend to have sensitive teeth. This gel eliminates any possible discomfort afterwards and costs an extra £20.

As for the aftercare, yes I’m afraid you will have to avoid tea/coffee/red wine for 24 hrs as well as any dark foods such as chocolate, tomato based sauces, curry, etc. Also no smoking for 24hrs.

You do not have to eliminate these foods & drinks forever more however obviously the more of these food types you consume, the more likely your teeth will stain.

For more information check out www.smile-quest.com

bekisman
18-Apr-10, 16:15
From what I've heard about the Golspie dentist no one seems to come out of there needing less than 4 or 5 fillings. :(

Mrs Beks did ;)

Penelope Pitstop
18-Apr-10, 19:29
Mrs Beks did ;)

Wot, she got away scot free...I'm amazed !!![lol]

bekisman
18-Apr-10, 19:31
Wot, she got away scot free...I'm amazed !!![lol]

why are you amazed!:confused

Errogie
18-Apr-10, 22:16
Folks in the U.S of A. have been getting their teeth whitened for years. My (private) dentist's receptionist has given up asking "Can we do anything for your smile today sir?" I'm afraid she probably saw my imagination was drifting towards other possibilities.

Anyway a few years ago I spent some days in the company of an American lady whose teeth had not just been whitened but seemed to glow with a startling luminosity particularly when she opened her mouth in poor light so she quickly earned the nickname of Whitefang.
So take care not to overdo it.

Liz
18-Apr-10, 22:47
It makes me think of the' Friends' episode when Ross had his teeth whitened and they glowed in the dark!:lol:

Creme_Egg
19-Apr-10, 09:47
Hmmm...I think i might get it done, what happens with a crown?...Obviously it doesnt whiten aswell if at all

Penelope Pitstop
20-Apr-10, 15:16
why are you amazed!:confused

Seems she managed to escape with nothing needing done at all. That's what I'm amazed at!

bekisman
20-Apr-10, 23:00
Seems she managed to escape with nothing needing done at all. That's what I'm amazed at!

Hmm.. Quite some time ago Mrs Beks was with the Wick Dental Clinic, The Bridges. Told she needed two fillings @£80 each. Told em to politely stuff it and after a couple of days, joined the Dental Surgery by the Bridge in Thurso, got examined, and told did not need any fillings..
Seems depends on the Dentist and their own professional opinion.. seem to think the one in Golspie will not make too much by doing fillings at NHS prices? All I have heard are good reports from there..
Swings and roundabouts.. All I know is that 35 years ago I was savaged by an Army Dentist for a week of intense treatments (going onto a 12 hour notice) this put the fear of Christ into me, and it was not until 35 years later I saw my first Dentist (Golspie) and have nothing but praise for her..;)

Penelope Pitstop
21-Apr-10, 10:44
Hmm.. Quite some time ago Mrs Beks was with the Wick Dental Clinic, The Bridges. Told she needed two fillings @£80 each. Told em to politely stuff it and after a couple of days, joined the Dental Surgery by the Bridge in Thurso, got examined, and told did not need any fillings..
Seems depends on the Dentist and their own professional opinion.. seem to think the one in Golspie will not make too much by doing fillings at NHS prices? All I have heard are good reports from there..
Swings and roundabouts.. All I know is that 35 years ago I was savaged by an Army Dentist for a week of intense treatments (going onto a 12 hour notice) this put the fear of Christ into me, and it was not until 35 years later I saw my first Dentist (Golspie) and have nothing but praise for her..;)

Totally agree, it is swings and roundabouts and very dependent on the dentist that you see...and their ideas of what you need.

I too had my teeth "butchered" by a school dentist 30 odd years ago. That's why I'm so very cautious when I'm told I need something done. And for this very reason that we took second opinions when we were all told we needed so much done...that image of the school dentist just popped right back again. I don't want my kids to have their mouths filled with ununecssary fillings. (They're both 17+ now and never had a filling.)

There are 2 dentists in the Golspie practice now, we saw the new one. We weren't impressed by her opinion as a dentist or her ability to communicate with us (done through the dental assistant). We left unsure of what teeth need filling, extracing and why... Anyway I'm glad it worked out for you, but in our case it certainly paid off to have the second opinion.

bekisman
21-Apr-10, 12:26
There are 2 dentists in the Golspie practice now, we saw the new one. We weren't impressed by her opinion as a dentist or her ability to communicate with us (done through the dental assistant). We left unsure of what teeth need filling, extracing and why... Anyway I'm glad it worked out for you, but in our case it certainly paid off to have the second opinion.

I was under the impression they have three dentist; Jacek Dziamecki, Agnieszka Dziamecki, and Jolanta Januszewska-Zwolinska, And are now in their new premises. sorry to hear that you had problems with communication, we've not found that. Mrs Beks has had many dentists over the moving years and was impressed with the professionalism.
But then we are all entitled to our own views and opinions, which may clash at times..;)

Penelope Pitstop
23-Apr-10, 13:37
I was under the impression they have three dentist; Jacek Dziamecki, Agnieszka Dziamecki, and Jolanta Januszewska-Zwolinska, And are now in their new premises. sorry to hear that you had problems with communication, we've not found that. Mrs Beks has had many dentists over the moving years and was impressed with the professionalism.
But then we are all entitled to our own views and opinions, which may clash at times..;)

Yes, your right what works out good for one may not be for another !

I'm pretty sure that Jacek (Jack) is not a dentist. He's one of the dentist's husbands (Aga, the lady who owns the practice) and takes to do with the admin, bookings, etc, etc,etc. (I found him great at arranging our appointments - but it wasn't him working on my teeth. lol). The practice has the 2 lady dentists.

bekisman
23-Apr-10, 13:48
Yes, your right what works out good for one may not be for another !

I'm pretty sure that Jacek (Jack) is not a dentist. He's one of the dentist's husbands (Aga, the lady who owns the practice) and takes to do with the admin, bookings, etc, etc,etc. (I found him great at arranging our appointments - but it wasn't him working on my teeth. lol). The practice has the 2 lady dentists.

Think you might be right (says me with big cheesy smile) ;)