PDA

View Full Version : Morags Cafe

Mopsy8385
16-Apr-10, 19:00
Is it just me or has the quality of the food gone downhill since she opened?

wicker8
16-Apr-10, 19:06
Is it just me or has the quality of the food gone downhill since she opened?hi no its not just you it used to be lovely now its poor

grandma
16-Apr-10, 20:38
Sorry, can't agree with you on that one. I eat there most lunch times and the food is still as good as ever. Much better than anywhere else on the street.

bagpuss
16-Apr-10, 22:04
her baking- especially her sponge cakes is lovely- as good as anywhere in the Uk

Dadie
16-Apr-10, 22:06
baking is fine .... cooking not so great...

catran
16-Apr-10, 22:28
Whatever next, best cafe in town, hardworkers do not deserve to be put down on Caithness.Org. I know fussy workmen who recently had their breakfast there, no complaints about anything , highly delighted with the breakfast, service and price.

Just you go by at lunchtime the place is heaving..............

floyed
16-Apr-10, 22:28
Food has definetly gone down hill not great:(

Anfield
16-Apr-10, 22:35
I wonder if any of the people who are not happy with the cafe have expressed their displeasure direct to the proprietors, rather than sound off here behind the mask of anonymity.

I have seen in many a business a sign saying "If you are happy with our service, tell your friends. If not, tell us"

Andrew C
16-Apr-10, 22:43
used to love Morags...miss it

telfordstar
16-Apr-10, 22:50
I havnt eaten lunch, breakfast or hot snack in morags so i cannot comment on that part, I will say that her baking is yummy and she mkes a mean cuppa milky coffee. Id say the only downfall is that its a bit crammed now, to much in a small space. I really dont like the pic n mix right in about all the chairs just a bit away from the bouncy castle thats just torturing parents with kids desp for a sweetie. Oh and also to many glass cabinets not very safe in an obvious kids part of the cafe.

NLP
16-Apr-10, 22:53
Food not as good as it was, I stopped going.

im behind you
16-Apr-10, 22:57
I wonder if any of the people who are not happy with the cafe have expressed their displeasure direct to the proprietors, rather than sound off here behind the mask of anonymity.

I have seen in many a business a sign saying "If you are happy with our service, tell your friends. If not, tell us"
concur. just a shame they dont have the balls to do that.

bagpuss
16-Apr-10, 22:59
I'll stick up for Morags. I like the place and love the baking.

However on a recent visit north I counted more food places than shops in the town centre.

If I were to take an elderly friend out for lunch where would you recommend?

sjr014
16-Apr-10, 23:13
I havnt eaten lunch, breakfast or hot snack in morags so i cannot comment on that part, I will say that her baking is yummy and she mkes a mean cuppa milky coffee. Id say the only downfall is that its a bit crammed now, to much in a small space. I really dont like the pic n mix right in about all the chairs just a bit away from the bouncy castle thats just torturing parents with kids desp for a sweetie. Oh and also to many glass cabinets not very safe in an obvious kids part of the cafe.

Telfordstar have to agree with you there about the pick n mix its just temptation for little ones as a mother of a 2 year old trust me i know they are at their level and they can't resist. Infact had a bit of a run in with a fellow customer who decided that she would hold my childs wrist and verbally scold her for helping herself to sweets i mean come on she is 2 and i paid for the sweets!

But as for the food its always been fine anytime we have eaten there little one always has macaroni which is homemade and always plenty of it and definatly can't fault the baking and the selection of it and the prices are more reasonable compared to say the harbour cafe. Personally like the bouncy castle as the kids play quite happily while you can enjoy a conversation if in company however haven't been back since the victorian lady decided my child should have her hands chopped off and be stoned in the market square for helping herself to a few penny sweets!

Mrs Bucket
17-Apr-10, 08:48
It used to be ok but I would rather do without anything than go there. There is a good variety of places to eat in Wick. If it is value for money your after cant do better than Bridge St Cafe. Houstons has more variety and it is quite good and there are lots more to choose from

Creme_Egg
17-Apr-10, 09:04
Me thinks this should go in recomendations?....

northener
17-Apr-10, 09:10

Good God, Anfield. You can't have people discussing their concerns directly with those involved. That might involve actually getting off your arse and doing something about it.

Just think of the damage it would do to the .Orgs viewing figures.;)

BTW: They do a good breakfast.

ducati
17-Apr-10, 09:16
You would think with so few businesses serving the area, people would be a bit more reluctant to attempt to assassinate the ones that are left :roll:

Creme_Egg
17-Apr-10, 09:18
You would think with so few businesses serving the area, people would be a bit more reluctant to attempt to assassinate the ones that are left :roll:

But even though people are slagging them off we dont need more places to eat?..... Surely there is more than 10 in wick?

ducati
17-Apr-10, 09:24
But even though people are slagging them off we dont need more places to eat?..... Surely there is more than 10 in wick?

I just think more choice is better that less. I appreciate what you are saying, but we are in a unique position here. Either business from outside the area needs to be attracted in, or our homegrown citizenry needs to start new businesses. With such a small population in a remote area, both are rare and fragile. :eek:

Mopsy8385
17-Apr-10, 09:36
I didn't say the quality of everything has gone downhill but some of it has. Her baking is as good as ever and the drinks selection has something for everyone.
As for the layout of it now maybe she has a method behind it!

Creme_Egg
17-Apr-10, 09:38
Surely people would prefer little choice but good food? Quality not quantity?

starry
17-Apr-10, 10:36
Surely it would be fairer to discuss these complaints with the owner rather than on here ?

telfordstar
17-Apr-10, 11:16
Surely it would be fairer to discuss these complaints with the owner rather than on here ?

Good point but it is also a forum where we can discuss things like this and i always like to read folks opinions on places.

EDDIE
17-Apr-10, 11:20
Is it just me or has the quality of the food gone downhill since she opened?

Im not being rude but comments like that could effect her lively hood you shouldnt come on a forum nameing and shaming a local business because your not happy.
If eating out and im not happy with the meal i tell them there and then so they can correct problem you cant fix something unless you no whats wrong?

Mr Z
17-Apr-10, 12:28
I agree with EDDIE speak up at the time to the owner if you not happy and if there is a problem they can fix it.
I walked past there today and it was busy so must still be good/popular.
On the rare occasion 'her indoors' drags me out for lunch Morags is our first choice.

telfordstar
17-Apr-10, 12:41
[quote=EDDIE;692546]Im not being rude but comments like that could effect her lively hood you shouldnt come on a forum nameing and shaming a local business because your not happy.
If eating out and im not happy with the meal i tell them there and then so they can correct problem you cant fix something unless you no whats wrong

I hope you have said that in all the other threads that folk have written about local premises. There are quite a few on this forum.

Mopsy8385
17-Apr-10, 12:43
I was only wanting other peoples opinions and if you read all replies she has also had positive feedback!

floyed
17-Apr-10, 12:44

I am just giving my opinion on what i think of Morags, not assassinating anyone. If someone doesn't like it they have every right to say so, so do the people that do like it.

Life would be very boring if we all liked the same things:eek:

telfordstar
17-Apr-10, 12:52
I am just giving my opinion on what i think of Morags, not assassinating anyone. If someone doesn't like it they have every right to say so, so do the people that do like it.

Finally someone who speaks some sense on here!!!!!!

wicker8
17-Apr-10, 12:52

Life would be very boring if we all liked the same things:eek: hi floyed i agree fully

Ajax
17-Apr-10, 12:56
i must say it was really nice to begin with now its not so good baking still as good as ever the cooking side no had a toasty and it was flat as if someone sat on it then had a salad another day and it was ok but i have had better and thats my opinion i did how ever tell the girls this and the just laughed

ducati
17-Apr-10, 14:45

And I was making an observation

floyed
18-Apr-10, 13:36
And I was making an observation

Thats fine you have the right to make your observation:-) Like i have the right to say that i dont like the food:)

Anfield
18-Apr-10, 19:23
I do wonder if any of the negative posters on this thread have a vested interest in other food establishments in area.

Dadie
18-Apr-10, 19:51
The only vested interest I have in any food establishments is to get good food at a reasonable price with decent service and for them to have a decent kids menu or offer 1/2 portions!

lynne duncan
20-Apr-10, 13:46
well we had a fantastic afternoon in here on saturday, my pal took 11 bairns and another 3 adults myself included in for lunch and a play on the bouncy. and we couldn't fault the service,nor the food. we had a prawn salad 2 tuna melt paninis and a cheese bacon and tomoto panini and the kids all had kids meals and there wasna anything left on the plates. and then we all tried the scrummy milkshakes.
so for this establishment i'd give it a big thumbs up
well morag for your service
will be back

molly16
20-Apr-10, 19:27
I eat there now and again and never had a bad thing from it yet .personally i think its ace ,well done morag .
thumbs down to weatherspoons cold rubberey grub

catran
24-Apr-10, 14:55
I eat there now and again and never had a bad thing from it yet .personally i think its ace ,well done morag .
thumbs down to weatherspoons cold rubberey grub

Well said, I have eaten there on several occasions and it is brilliant value for money. Pleasant hard working staff. Lot of hard work put in by Morag to make what is a lovely cosy friendly cafe.