PDA

View Full Version : Honest Repair People.

cuddlepop
16-Apr-10, 15:58
A while ago my daughters laptop wouldnt connect to the internet.
We tried all sorts of things but couldnt get it to connect.

As she was home for a few days we took it to our local pc repair guy who said he'd probably fix it that day as its more than likely something simple.

A few hours later she went back and was informed the switch at the side had jammed itself off so wouldnt connect to wireless,after a clean and a systems update he only charged her a £5.:D

One very happy student went back home fully connected.:D

Well was that a one off,or have others met similar "honest" repair people.?

ShelleyCowie
16-Apr-10, 16:05
Our very own Bobinovich, have never required his service but he comes highly recommended :D

He is an honest man, funny, generous and a knight in shining armour to me many times over :Razz

cuddlepop
16-Apr-10, 16:24
Our very own Bobinovich, have never required his service but he comes highly recommended :D

He is an honest man, funny, generous and a knight in shining armour to me many times over :Razz

Now I know he's highly recommend but it was a wee bit too far for us to travel for an "honest" repair.:D

ShelleyCowie
16-Apr-10, 16:28
Now I know he's highly recommend but it was a wee bit too far for us to travel for an "honest" repair.:D

Lol yes thats true! He is just a few short steps away from me :D

Invisible
16-Apr-10, 16:38
I can repair folks sense of humour:lol:.........................well some folks

RecQuery
16-Apr-10, 20:54
With regards to IT repair, one of the reason you have dodgy dishonest people is that every man and his dog fancies himself as an IT guy. So to use a medical analogy you have the equivalent of hospital cleaners, porters and janitors (not that there is anything wrong with those careers just using them as an example) acting like the head of thoracic surgery.

Also without knowing specifics I'd say £5 for that is rather low; compare what a plumber would charge for repairing a tap or what a mechanic would charge for repairing a car door. I find that people are reluctant to pay anything approaching market value for either home or business computer stuff. So going for the cheapest guy is usually a bad idea.

I've seen various unethical practices:

People searching hard drives for stuff, recovering deleted files even
Outsourced IT support and services reading company e-mail
Guys claiming the motherboard had failed when there was only a loose connection

The list could goes on.