PDA

View Full Version : Roderick Ross

flora
16-Apr-10, 10:45
Hi now I have got a bit further with the Mowats I wondered if anyone has any information on the Ross family Donald married Donaldina Mowat and his father was Roderick Mother Margaret Bain his parents married at Wick in 1854 they are on the 1861 census living in Wick but by '71 they are in Halkirk Roderick is a Gamekeeper born Brora or Clyne Sutherland thats when I hit the wall there are so many Margaret Bains born Wick and lots of Roderick Ross's born Sutherland and Ross & cromarty. Has anyone got these people in their tree? I would appreciate any information no matter how small, as they say from small acorns etc' regards Flora

flora
29-Apr-10, 09:13
Hi further to my original posting these are the children of Roderick & Margaret found on the '61/'71 census(freecen)William born abt 1851 John abt '56 Isabella abt '58 Donald '61 these children born Wick Roderick jnr born abt '63 James abt '65 & Catherine abt '67 these children born Halkirk I have their dates of birth from S.P, When they moved to Halkirk I think they probably lived at Westerdale, please can anyone help regards Flora

phyllis ferguson
01-May-10, 01:28
Hi Flora,
I too have hit a dead end with various members of my family in Moray. 1 in particular just disappears in 1866. I presume they left for another country. Keep persevering with your post as i did find a half blood line by doing just that.

flora
01-May-10, 08:52
Hi Phyllis thanks for that encouragement, however I may have found a daughter as just yesterday I had contact from a genes reunited member and you may well be right looks like this one has emigrated,regards flora

flora
05-Jul-10, 15:41
HI everyone,I have now got Roderick Ross and Margaret Bains's marriage certificate from S/P but there is not much to go on,except they were both said to be of Stirkoke and Roderick was a gamekeeper, his parents names are not mentioned but Margaret's Father is deceased, Donald Bain,they married 1854 Witnessed by Benjamin Sutherland and Adam Gordon. I know Roderick was born Clyne Brora and Margaret, Wick from the census,is it possible they were both working at Stirkoke house and if so will there be any information kept anywhere that I could easily access?Any help will be much appreciated. Kind regards Flora:)