PDA

View Full Version : Britain's first ever prime ministerial TV debate.

Gronnuck
15-Apr-10, 17:16
:eek: Tonight 8.30 PM on STV.

I don’t want to detract from John Little’s thread ‘what I want from a government’ so my question is simple – will you be watching and why/why not?

My own view is that the 'debate' has been so tightly managed, with over 70 rules, that it will be very bland and of little real worth. :~(
I'll probably record it and 'dip' into it over the next week or so.

Fluff
15-Apr-10, 21:01
I'm watching it as it is on now. It's slightly amusing, Brown keeps interrupting Cameron but has come out with a couple of funny quips. It's all rubbish anyway though

Kodiak
15-Apr-10, 22:34
Finished and what a Bore it was. Nothing new and just the same old smarm from all three. I do not know why I expected anything else.

Fly
15-Apr-10, 22:35
It was better than I thought it would be.

Flashman
15-Apr-10, 22:43
That was better than I thought it would be too

My thoughts -

Nick Clegg - Won out by a mile, confident and slick and honest but escaped some tougher questions on his policies as the other two concentrated on each other.... when they did hit him on trident he had to go on the backfoot. Thing is if can he tranfer support from a after debate poll to the ballot box?

David Cameron - Totally underperfomed for what was expected of him, looked a little uncomfortable at times but did make some good points on Crime, Immigration and Education. Has to do alot better in the next two debates.

Gordon Brown - Defended himself well, started poor but grew in confidence... always an uphill battle for him but I thought it was a good solid perfomrmance but defintly the least popular of the three.

Boozeburglar
15-Apr-10, 22:48
I thought it was funny.

Brown smiling at the wrong times.

Cameron trying to keep a straight face all the time to avoid looking smarmy.

Easy for Clegg to keep his cool, he has nothing to lose.

:)

Flashman
15-Apr-10, 23:08
I thought it was funny.

Also not scrutinized as well, it's clear that if we are going to have these kind of debates then Cons and Lab have to take the Lib Dems a little more seriously than they take them in parliment.

Anfield
15-Apr-10, 23:24
I thought it was funny.

Having had to endure the past week with never ending news reports about who/what/where on the Election, the last thing I wanted to watch was the main three protagonists discussing it.

Instead I watched "Outnumbered" which, as usual, was brilliant.
This programme is, to TV comedy, what Sgt Peppers and Dark Side of the Moon was to music. Pure brilliance from everyone concerned, from writers to actors.
Plus it made me laugh

Boozeburglar
16-Apr-10, 09:10
Having had to endure the past week with never ending news reports about who/what/where on the Election, the last thing I wanted to watch was the main three protagonists discussing it.

Instead I watched "Outnumbered" which, as usual, was brilliant.
This programme is, to TV comedy, what Sgt Peppers and Dark Side of the Moon was to music. Pure brilliance from everyone concerned, from writers to actors.
Plus it made me laugh

Yeah, a whole WEEK of election stuff. My goodness, and it is every three months we have an election. Darn it there is going to be another three weeks of this stuff too. I wish they would only have one every few years, it is taking over our lives.

riggerboy
16-Apr-10, 09:35
i doesnt matter who gets in they are going to screw us over anyway, what you need to think of is

which 1 will pull yer troosers up and tuck yer shirt in after,

Phill
16-Apr-10, 09:49
The three of 'em needed to wipe their mouths afterwards, they had BS dribbling down the sides.

John Little
16-Apr-10, 13:46
Cameron - CGI skin, related to HM, old ruling class, smooth, plausible and all froth - he looked uncomfortable.

Broon - old stager, chunky, lots of gravitas - did as well as he could be for the fact that he's already had 13 years to make a mark.

Clegg - young, voice needs to be heavier and came over like a university lecturer. Which of course he is and he's obviously seriously smart. Inexperienced - but so is Cameron.

But Clegg had a shadow standing at his shoulder. If there's any chance that Cable will be Chancellor he'll get my vote.

But he won last night hands down.

THEY will be oot to get him now.

I wonder what skeleton in the closet the red tops will dig up...

bekisman
16-Apr-10, 14:04
Floating voter? lady who was in the audience who's hand was shaken by all three, said that Brown 'did not look at her', Cameron 'had a bit of an overdone smile' Cleg 'looked at her, said a few words' so she's voting for him..policies? sod 'em.. hmm 'nuff said? :confused

The Drunken Duck
16-Apr-10, 17:39
Didnt watch it, wont be voting for any of the major three parties so I didnt see the point. Broon is a waste of space and a downright liar, Cameron comes across as a slimeball and Nick Clegg is the leader of a useless party.

I find it hilarious, but not surprising, in this media driven age that people would vote for someone purely because of how they performed on TV.

Sara Jevo
16-Apr-10, 17:54
Clegg always had the most to gain from the exposure because very few people knew who he was. That said, he performed best of the three. Cameron had the most to lose, and he did.

The trick for Clegg now will be whether he can maintain the bounce in the polls he'll get from it.

It'll be fascinating to see the attitude of Cameron and Brown towards him in the next one, once they've had a chance to reflect on the outcome.

ducati
16-Apr-10, 20:20
Clegg always had the most to gain from the exposure because very few people knew who he was. That said, he performed best of the three. Cameron had the most to lose, and he did.

The trick for Clegg now will be whether he can maintain the bounce in the polls he'll get from it.

It'll be fascinating to see the attitude of Cameron and Brown towards him in the next one, once they've had a chance to reflect on the outcome.

Immediate poll of a sizeable sample puts LD second by one point to Con with Lab trailing by a huge margin. Others are only 5% in total

That would be something, LD the HM Opposition :eek:

rambo1978
16-Apr-10, 20:59
Not being politically orientated I watched the entire debate and was surprised to get drawn into it, I found it an interested piece of television and imo Nick Clegg was on top by a long shot.

Sara Jevo
16-Apr-10, 22:03
Immediate poll of a sizeable sample puts LD second by one point to Con with Lab trailing by a huge margin. Others are only 5% in total

That would be something, LD the HM Opposition :eek:

If you believe the Lib Dems have gone from rank outsiders to realistic runners in this election, I wonder if John Thurso is terrified or electrified by the possibilty of finding himself in charge of the Department of whatever it's called that Mandleson presided over?

bekisman
16-Apr-10, 22:29
Oh well have to wait til 65 to get the winter fuel payment if Lib dems get in (not likely though) :(
'Reforming Winter Fuel Payments to extend them to all severely disabled people, paid for by delaying age-related Winter Fuel Payments until people reach 65.'

Anfield
16-Apr-10, 23:36
I find it hilarious, but not surprising, in this media driven age that people would vote for someone purely because of how they performed on TV.

Another example of a concept we have borrowed from America.
Mind you they voted Bush back in, will we get Brown again?
But in view of current politicians and policies, I am definitely a floating voter.

One person who wont be getting my vote though is John Thurso who votes on crucial issues without consulting his constituents.
I set out below a reply I received from His Lordship on the matter of his views on whether or not he would support Hilary Benn on repealing any attempt at re-introducing foxhunting:

“..No. This is a matter for me of my own convictions and I therefore voted as I felt right..”

John Thurso

I just wonder whether his role as a director of Ulbster Estate (Sporting) Ltd http://www.hotfroguk.co.uk/Companies/Ulbster-Estate-Sportinghttp://
helped him come to this decision.
Or maybe it was his friendship with Lord Kirkham who in the 2001 election contributed 25% of Thurso's election expenses which merited this mention on BBC website:
"..Lib Dem MP John Thurso's extensive entry in the register includes a donation of 25% of his election expenses from Lord Kirkham, who just happened to vote against an amendment of the Hunting ban which would have widened its scope.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/1719010.stm

http://www.publicwhip.org.uk/division.php?date=2001-03-13&number=1&mpn=Lord_Kirkham&mpc=Lords&house=lords&house=lords
(http://www.publicwhip.org.uk/division.php?date=2001-03-13&number=1&mpn=Lord_Kirkham&mpc=Lords&house=lords&house=lords)
He did however repay the money in which he was overpaid (£548.21) in the recent MP's expenses scandal.

So, if you are against foxhunting, and any other forms of killing wild animals for sport do not vote for John Thurso

ducati
17-Apr-10, 00:17
Another example of a concept we have borrowed from America.
Mind you they voted Bush back in, will we get Brown again?
But in view of current politicians and policies, I am definitely a floating voter.

One person who wont be getting my vote though is John Thurso who votes on crucial issues without consulting his constituents.
I set out below a reply I received from His Lordship on the matter of his views on whether or not he would support Hilary Benn on repealing any attempt at re-introducing foxhunting:

“..No. This is a matter for me of my own convictions and I therefore voted as I felt right..”

John Thurso

I just wonder whether his role as a director of Ulbster Estate (Sporting) Ltd http://www.hotfroguk.co.uk/Companies/Ulbster-Estate-Sportinghttp://
helped him come to this decision.
Or maybe it was his friendship with Lord Kirkham who in the 2001 election contributed 25% of Thurso's election expenses which merited this mention on BBC website:
"..Lib Dem MP John Thurso's extensive entry in the register includes a donation of 25% of his election expenses from Lord Kirkham, who just happened to vote against an amendment of the Hunting ban which would have widened its scope.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/1719010.stm

http://www.publicwhip.org.uk/division.php?date=2001-03-13&number=1&mpn=Lord_Kirkham&mpc=Lords&house=lords&house=lords
(http://www.publicwhip.org.uk/division.php?date=2001-03-13&number=1&mpn=Lord_Kirkham&mpc=Lords&house=lords&house=lords)
He did however repay the money in which he was overpaid (£548.21) in the recent MP's expenses scandal.

So, if you are against foxhunting, and any other forms of killing wild animals for sport do not vote for John Thurso

I wouldn't anyway, but that's another good reason :(

Anfield
17-Apr-10, 00:47
I doubt if John Thurso's majority will be affected in the slightest by the rubbish produced by a scally arsonist

Four things:
(1) As far as I am aware I have never been convicted for the offence you mention so your post is defamatory. As it has been pointed out before on this site, hiding behind a username does not make you immune to the legal process, so do yourself a favour and remove post

(2) Once again I must correct you on your grammar: i.e a noun before an adjective?

(3) You are calling me a Scallie?

Anfield
17-Apr-10, 01:00
I doubt if John Thurso's majority will be affected in the slightest by the rubbish produced by a scally arsonist

Just noticed that you have moved from Kinbrace.

I hate to point this out to you but the village of Vilamoura only has one "l" in it's name.

Don't forget that they drive on the right over there

Anfield
17-Apr-10, 01:52
Well,well, a scally who knows how to spell Vilamoura. Wonders will never cease.

And a scally teaching me about grammar , nah, must be a mistook.
I can not speak Portugese so had to rely on a friend to do their best, but I am sure your mates will help you. I apologise in advance for this translation, and trust my friend does not get words mixed and calls you a Portugese Village Idiot.

"..Morou em Albefeiria por um par de anos

"Confundiu" Certamente você quer dizer erro, você poderia fazer um nome para si mesmo ali. Você poderia juntar uma aula de Inglês e achar que a sua compreensão do idioma Inglês, está a par com a de um Português 5 / 6 anos

Só para esfregar o nariz na nele (outra vez) Eu costumava ter um barco em Albefeira, um 26ft Colvic motor Watson / marinheiro, poderia ainda estar lá .""

Lived in Albefeiria for a couple of years
"Mistook" surely you mean mistake, You could make a name for yourself over there. You could join an English class and find that your comprehension of the English Language, is on par with that of a Portugese 5/6 year old

Just to rub your nose in in it (again) I used to have a boat in Albefeira, a 26ft Colvic Watson motor/sailor, might still be there

ducati
17-Apr-10, 09:34
Had a very funny week in Albefeira a good few years ago on a incentive prize holiday with a bunch of Irish insurance salesmen. Got very confusing when we went shark fishing :lol: