PDA

View Full Version : What I want from a government

John Little
15-Apr-10, 15:13
Not that any of it will happen. Our politicians seem so out of touch with ordinary people that we get ignored. What follows is highly personal but what I would like to see if they did listen; you do not have to agree and I don't suppose you will. I'm not setting up Aunt Sallys, just saying what I would like.

A reform of the benefits system so that it delivers to those in genuine need, and delivers those who will not work onto state run workschemes on the infrastructure that we need.

A foreign policy of our own that is not tied to Washington

Abolition of targets, performance management, form filling and PC ness for Police, Firemen, nurses, social workers so that they can actually do the job. If these things have to be done then employ administrators.

Adjustment of the European convention on Human rights to suit the common laws of this country which has perfectly good safeguards built in through centuries of interpretation.

No more elf and safety

Ask the people of this country if they want capital punishment for first degree murder and life to mean life for second degree murder.

Robust immigration policies - there's too many people here already.

One law for all - no exceptions to planning laws and use of land regulations for travellers.

Councillors to be held personally accountable for misuse of public funds- eg in fiddling expenses or providing interest free mortgages to travellers to buy land to settle on illegally.

Closer regulation of the banks

Abolish Trident and use the cash to benefit the people of this country instead of buying something we will never never use and is out of date.

Set up a standing committee of the Commons to call to account companies charging profits way above world market prices.

Renationalise the railways, invest in freight carrying capacity and expand the network - Beeching was an idiot.

Elect local police chiefs and hold them accountable for the stupidities committed by their officers - like nicking my wife's car and stopping me on the motorway under the prevention of terrorism act just because they were nosy to see what I was carrying.

That will do for now though I think more may occur later.

Do I tick any boxes on your wishlists?

Flashman
15-Apr-10, 15:32
More Apprentiships made avalible within Industry and Business, provide real opportunitys for young people who want to work and start a career rather than go through University and into debt... Scrap higher education targets and help young people focus on how to progress in a career and what is the best route to thier goals.

John Little
15-Apr-10, 15:33
Good idea!

Oh and Tax breaks for manufacturing industry.

ducati
15-Apr-10, 15:37
Fluffy Bunnys for everyone (Except: Phill, Northener and Boozey and Davie)

And a Pony :)

wicker8
15-Apr-10, 15:38
hi john theres a good few on your list that i would like to see being done

riggerboy
15-Apr-10, 16:27
you can have all that if you vote for phil, and you get me to carry out the hangings

John Little
15-Apr-10, 16:30
Oh well that's it then;

Phill for president!

Oyay oyay
Phill for president! :)

Phill
15-Apr-10, 16:48
I think my Trebuchet Party has a future yet!

DeHaviLand
15-Apr-10, 19:29
I'd go with your list John, but I'd also like to see a reduction in fuel duty for essential usage, if not a reduction across the board. See, I can compromise.

joxville
15-Apr-10, 19:53
Right, where do I start?

Sort out the immigration problem, only genuine asylum seekers and those willing to work allowed into the country.

Get rid of all those 'managers' within the NHS.

Give armed services, nurses, firemen, police and ambulance staff a generous salary. Those permanently disabled in the line of duty get automatic £100,000 compensation plus generous pension.

Cap MP's wages at £50,000, they should be proud to serve their country, not use it as a gravy train, and if kicked out of office they aren't allowed back into Government/public office nor collect a golden payoff or generous taxpayer funded pension, nor hold a company directorship.

Get rid of the House of Lords, it's just an expensive talking shop for the yah-yah classes.

Genuine claimants only to recieve benefits, too many workshy layabouts draining the system so make them earn their benefits by cleaning the streets.

Every worker pays a standard rate of income tax at 15p in the £, N.I. at 10p in the £.

Stop the 'gay marriage' rubbish, if people of any gender want to live together and bequeath their pension rights to their partner then let them, what business is it of anyone elses what they do?

Free prescriptions for those earning less than £35,000

Free tv licence for those over 65, no taxes for those over 65 if they have been in gainful employment for most of their lives.

Build more nuclear power stations, cheaper electricity for all and get rid of those windmills destroying the landscape of Britain.

Cut fuel duty and end the vehicle tax duty, the more you drive the more the Government will earn anyway.

Every insured vehicle to display a valid disc, no disc then the car gets crushed. No excuses.

Life sentence means life, all other sentences to be served full term withno parole, bad behaviour put them in there, why should good behaviour let them out early?

No tv's, dvd's, game consoles etc. for prisoners. 4 prisoners per cell, locked up for 22hrs per day. A harsh regime will stop them re-offending

Leave the E.U.

Every worker to be given minimum 20 days holiday, statutory holidays not to be included in the allowance.

And that's just for starters. :)

nirofo
15-Apr-10, 20:30
I'll go along with most of that, pity we have little chance of it ever happening with our overbearing nannie state watching our every move. I'll go even further and say kick the Nationalist party into touch, they'll totally ruin Scotland before they've done.

Ban all new windfarms, they're nothing but a land grabbing, money making red herring for the landowners and speculators to get rich on. They add very little if anything to the national grid and cost us the taxpayers an absolute fortune to build, erect and maintain. The loss of amenity, the damage to the environment and the ruination of the visible landscape don't help the tourist industry one bit, a factor that our gullible councillors seem only too willing to overlook.

nirofo.

DeHaviLand
15-Apr-10, 21:21
Nearly forgot this one, compulsory birth control, until you can prove that you're fit, able and willing to support your own children.

And a state funeral for Maggie Thatcher, on the site of the former Ravenscraig Steelworks, or Polkemmet Colliery. Whether she's dead or not isnt particularly important.

Abolition of TV licences.

Free bones for rescued dogs.

And someone to fix the bloody potholes!

flash
15-Apr-10, 21:25
You sir, have my vote, don't agree with everything, but not far off it

Anfield
15-Apr-10, 21:28
Nearly forgot this one, compulsory birth control, until you can prove that you're fit, able and willing to support your own children.

And a state funeral for Maggie Thatcher, on the site of the former Ravenscraig Steelworks, or Polkemmet Colliery. Whether she's dead or not isnt particularly important.

Abolition of TV licences.

Free bones for rescued dogs.

And someone to fix the bloody potholes!

Agree with all of the above, and would also add all expense scandal MP's to Thatchers funeral pyre

horseman
15-Apr-10, 21:54
I don't give a toss what happens, as long as we don't have to put up with another session of the present tossers,cos' there are tossers an there are tossers', an then there is this present crowd/heap.GOD above us all in Heaven,we are in the worst scrape in living memory,think the last time we got hit this bad was when the dinosaurs were zapped. An there are still people thinking it will be a good idea to put all those tossers back in power!!!!!

Fly
15-Apr-10, 22:31
Abolish all the NHS Trusts and make it a truly national service under one head of department. That would get rid of all the duplication of useless bureaucrats and free up a lot of money which could be spent on doctors, nurses and essential drugs for all, no more post code lottery.

I think we need to keep the replacement for "Trident". I don't trust the North Koreans or the Iranians.

Get rid of all the quangos.

I agree with the previous posts. If we can see all this, why can't the powers that be??http://forum.caithness.org/images/icons/icon8.gif

Blarney
15-Apr-10, 23:25
Not that any of it will happen. Our politicians seem so out of touch with ordinary people that we get ignored. What follows is highly personal but what I would like to see if they did listen; you do not have to agree and I don't suppose you will. I'm not setting up Aunt Sallys, just saying what I would like.

A reform of the benefits system so that it delivers to those in genuine need, and delivers those who will not work onto state run workschemes on the infrastructure that we need.

A foreign policy of our own that is not tied to Washington

Abolition of targets, performance management, form filling and PC ness for Police, Firemen, nurses, social workers so that they can actually do the job. If these things have to be done then employ administrators.

Adjustment of the European convention on Human rights to suit the common laws of this country which has perfectly good safeguards built in through centuries of interpretation.

No more elf and safety

Ask the people of this country if they want capital punishment for first degree murder and life to mean life for second degree murder.

Robust immigration policies - there's too many people here already.

One law for all - no exceptions to planning laws and use of land regulations for travellers.

Councillors to be held personally accountable for misuse of public funds- eg in fiddling expenses or providing interest free mortgages to travellers to buy land to settle on illegally.

Closer regulation of the banks

Abolish Trident and use the cash to benefit the people of this country instead of buying something we will never never use and is out of date.

Set up a standing committee of the Commons to call to account companies charging profits way above world market prices.

Renationalise the railways, invest in freight carrying capacity and expand the network - Beeching was an idiot.

Elect local police chiefs and hold them accountable for the stupidities committed by their officers - like nicking my wife's car and stopping me on the motorway under the prevention of terrorism act just because they were nosy to see what I was carrying.

That will do for now though I think more may occur later.

Do I tick any boxes on your wishlists?
I agree with mostly all of this and looking at subsequent posts, I am not the only one. Now why, if we are all singing off the same hymn sheet, can't the government get it right and stop pussyfooting about the real issues. As I've said before, the first party who addresses the very real problems of the economy, immigration, crime and the benefit culture by taking a firm stand and showing they mean business is on to a winner. The folk who are paying into the system and keeping the country afloat (just) are sick of the PC brigade squandering their resources.

Anfield
15-Apr-10, 23:36
I agree with mostly all of this and looking at subsequent posts, I am not the only one. Now why, if we are all singing off the same hymn sheet, can't the government get it right and stop

The fact that we are all "singing off the same hymm sheet" does not mean that we all agree on the all the issues raised.

Catholics/Protestants and all the other faiths of the Christian religion, believe in the same God, but does that stop the differences of opinion between the faiths?

Nacho
15-Apr-10, 23:42
I think we need to keep the replacement for "Trident". I don't trust the North Koreans or the Iranians.

surely it creates the cold war stale mate that we've grown out of, it's expensive and imho unnecessary,

i think the countries that are developing nuclear weapons aren't going on the offensive, but are trying to keep up with their western 'enemies'.

if we get rid of trident then maybe they'll chill out a bit ;)

everything else in these posts i wholeheartedly agree with

Kenn
16-Apr-10, 10:10
I would like the politicians to recognise that the electorate are not a group of morons with an IQ of 60.
I would like for existing legislation to be used instead of a constant stream of new acts that waste time and money and merely duplicate what is already on the statute book.
I would like "Super State Nannny," to be sent to the naughty step for an indefinite period.
I would like the Politically Correct Brigade to be retrained by the military and sent on indefinite service to some very remote place.
I would like that rare commodity, common sense to be sprinkled on MPs in very lavish amounts.

Better stop dreaming now!

ducati
16-Apr-10, 11:33
What I want from Government-Leave me the hell alone!

lynne duncan
16-Apr-10, 13:20
how about all our soldiers to be brought back to our country and to be stationed at every port or airport to halt the influx of drugs or immigrants unless they can porvide skilled services which this country needs, use the islands as prisons/work camps for any offenders and also as areas for drug addicts to get clean.
any immigrant who has entered the country in the last five years and is still on benefits to be returned to the country they came from.
for the schools to be allowed to teach the children and any child who isn't willing to learn must take a parent to school with them and make the parent ensure that the child even if they don't want to learn is at least civil and polite.
any school leaver who doesn't have a job or further education to go to must enroll for national service
no rights for prisoners, no tvs make them slop out. make them work whilst in jail, the majority of items in the US is produced in jails.
take public transport back to government run and make it up to a decent standard, sort out the state of the roads, provide enough dentists that everyone can have nhs
anyone who is ill and has contributed to the illness make them pay for their treatments.
ban smoking outright
have nulcear power stations as said wind power is not sufficient or else make it government owned on the large tracts of land which aren't visible to one and all
every new house must install solar panels which feed directly into the national grid
death penalties to be reintroduced and televised
playgrounds to be kept in a decent state, provide areas for children to play in,
if the schools are rated below a b then knock them down and provide new schools immediately
write off council debts and allow them to operate on correct budgets which won't see the state of the country deterioate any further
do not allow people to sue the public sector, if a mistake has been made then fix it.
do not pander to religion it has no place in running a government
and i also agree with the rest of the previos statements

ducati
16-Apr-10, 14:58
how about all our soldiers to be brought back to our country and to be stationed at every port or airport to halt the influx of drugs or immigrants unless they can porvide skilled services which this country needs, use the islands as prisons/work camps for any offenders and also as areas for drug addicts to get clean.
any immigrant who has entered the country in the last five years and is still on benefits to be returned to the country they came from.
for the schools to be allowed to teach the children and any child who isn't willing to learn must take a parent to school with them and make the parent ensure that the child even if they don't want to learn is at least civil and polite.
any school leaver who doesn't have a job or further education to go to must enroll for national service
no rights for prisoners, no tvs make them slop out. make them work whilst in jail, the majority of items in the US is produced in jails.
take public transport back to government run and make it up to a decent standard, sort out the state of the roads, provide enough dentists that everyone can have nhs
anyone who is ill and has contributed to the illness make them pay for their treatments.
ban smoking outright
have nulcear power stations as said wind power is not sufficient or else make it government owned on the large tracts of land which aren't visible to one and all
every new house must install solar panels which feed directly into the national grid
death penalties to be reintroduced and televised
playgrounds to be kept in a decent state, provide areas for children to play in,
if the schools are rated below a b then knock them down and provide new schools immediately
write off council debts and allow them to operate on correct budgets which won't see the state of the country deterioate any further
do not allow people to sue the public sector, if a mistake has been made then fix it.
do not pander to religion it has no place in running a government
and i also agree with the rest of the previos statements

Couple of observations: I am not sure the people already living on the islands would be too happy.

Have you costed any of this?