PDA

View Full Version : No planes in Britain today

Fran
15-Apr-10, 14:47
No planes in Briatain at all today..when i heard this on the radio today i thought it was a late april fool joke. Apparently there is a cloud of some kind of dust from Iceland floating about in our skies which would clog up the plane engines. I did wonder why i hadn't heard any today.

sweetpea
15-Apr-10, 15:09
OH is in due to fly home tommorrow. Hope that it's ok by then:)

Bazeye
15-Apr-10, 15:15
Its not from Iceland at all, Man City opened their trophy cabinet.

Cattach
15-Apr-10, 17:18

No idea what this post means.

However, sorry for all those poor folk stranded today and tomorrow and maybe longer. Lots of families waiting for loved ones and lots of families struggling at airports or trying to find accommodation for themselves and kids.

highland red
15-Apr-10, 17:34

Well I get it and it's a very cheeky but true one. Very quick Bazeye:D:D

sweetpea
15-Apr-10, 18:38
Looks like hire car now. Flights have been cancelled tommorrow from Manchester then Aberdeen-Wick:(

ducati
15-Apr-10, 20:57
1982 a BA 747 flew through a cloud of Volcanic ash after taking off from Jakarta on the last leg to Perth Australia.

All 4 engines stopped. After a the crew battled to restart them for 20 minutes or so while they descended at a rate that would not get them back to Jakata and the crew were making preparations to ditch in the open sea, they finally restarted and they landed safely back at Jakarta.

On stripping the engines they were found to be very badly damaged and full of melted slag from the ash. All the leading surfaces of the plane were badly damaged and the windscreen was almost opaque with the sandblasting effect.

This was on telly today as part of the series Air Crash Investigation. I don't know whether they put it on specially or just coincidence.

young_fishin_neep
15-Apr-10, 21:00
Tugmistress (aka mum) was due to fly to barbados today to get married, thankfully her flight was not cancled, guess she was one of the lucky ones :) xx

upolian
15-Apr-10, 21:03
Tugmistress (aka mum) was due to fly to barbados today to get married, thankfully her flight was not cancled, guess she was one of the lucky ones :) xx

How did she manage that [lol]x

Phill
15-Apr-10, 21:24
I don't know whether they put it on specially or just coincidence.

Definitely a conspiracy.

horseman
15-Apr-10, 21:29
Nice one neep,an all the best to tugs' an as an aside my b/inlaw was on that poxy 747 that was zapped by the 4 engine flame out. He reckoned it was pretty scarey to.:)

Kodiak
15-Apr-10, 22:31
Just been on the news that there will be no flights into or from the UK until 12 noon tomorrow. That is the soonest but if the ash stays the same or gets worse it could very well be longer.

nightowl
15-Apr-10, 23:31
Are there any planes flying tonight? I'm sure I heard one over Wick just after the "big Debate" so must have been the back of ten. Anyone else hear it?

Bobbin
15-Apr-10, 23:33
Are there any planes flying tonight? I'm sure I heard one over Wick just after the "big Debate" so must have been the back of ten. Anyone else hear it?Yes, I heard it too nightowl.

upolian
15-Apr-10, 23:42
Are there any planes flying tonight? I'm sure I heard one over Wick just after the "big Debate" so must have been the back of ten. Anyone else hear it?

That was my TV turned up very loud,sorry:(

Hen Broon
16-Apr-10, 00:58

That was a helicopter.

ducati
16-Apr-10, 08:02
Nice one neep,an all the best to tugs' an as an aside my b/inlaw was on that poxy 747 that was zapped by the 4 engine flame out. He reckoned it was pretty scarey to.:)

I'll bet it was :eek: I wonder how accurate the dramatisations are?

Even Chance
16-Apr-10, 08:07
That was a helicopter.

I heard a twin engine turbo-prop aircraft last night. A very distinctive noise. Must have been a met aircraft/ scientific flight.

Phill
16-Apr-10, 10:16
Here's an animation from yesterdays close down, time-lapsed it shows the last flight into Glasgow and then as they dwindle down it shows a mass exodus from Heathrow before the airspace closes to IFR / Schedule traffic.

http://i42.tinypic.com/2valeuw.gif

The Drunken Duck
16-Apr-10, 20:58
Some pics here of the effects of the vocanic ash on the engine fan blades of a Finnish Air Force F/A-18 jet, damage like this could cause overheating and engine flame outs. Not good.

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2010/04/16/340727/pictures-finnish-f-18-engine-check-reveals-effects-of-volcanic.html

Amy-Winehouse
17-Apr-10, 10:16

I got sent that yesterday but it was about Aberdeen & Celtc, good tho

Tugmistress
17-Apr-10, 12:19
it seems we were lucky to get out of gatwick on thursday :) we should have left at 11.20am but because of the extra traffic being routed in to gatwick as scotland, manchester and newcastle had already been closed down, our captain put in a slightly different flight plan to go over northern france instead of devon/cornwall but we did eventually take off at 12.15 ish

Venture
17-Apr-10, 12:30
So when is the big day then Tugs.:D

Tugmistress
17-Apr-10, 12:32
We get married on tuesday :D , 10am barbados time which is 5 hours behind the uk at the moment, it's a saturday morning, i don't have work and i'm up at 07.30am!

golach
17-Apr-10, 12:39
We get married on tuesday :D , 10am barbados time which is 5 hours behind the uk at the moment, it's a saturday morning, i don't have work and i'm up at 07.30am!

Congratulation Tugss, are you wearing your white boilersuit and pink rigger boots [lol]

Iffy
17-Apr-10, 12:40
Just to wish you all the very best Tugs for a beautiful wedding on Tuesday !!!
Hope the sun shines for you both !!!:D

Congratulations In Advance !!!
XX

cherokee
17-Apr-10, 12:43
Hope you have a lovely day on Tuesday Tugmistress, best wishes to you ;)

Venture
17-Apr-10, 13:08

That's what being in love does to you plus Im sure the climate and surroundings are more appealing than at home. I hope you both have a wonderful day on Tuesday and don't forget and let us see the pics. Take care and enjoy.:)

Tugmistress
17-Apr-10, 18:19
Congratulation Tugss, were you wearing your white boilersuit and pink rigger boots [lol]

hahaha no G, no pink riggers and white boiler suit, getting married in bikini and sarong lol - apparently it's a first for the hotel :lol:

Kodiak
17-Apr-10, 22:39
hahaha no G, no pink riggers and white boiler suit, getting married in bikini and sarong lol - apparently it's a first for the hotel :lol:

Congratulations Tugs, you should have told us sooner :D

http://i40.tinypic.com/wxgj.jpg