PDA

View Full Version : Iceland Volcano

colingel
15-Apr-10, 08:15
Will we be aware of this cloud of ash passing overhead??

riggerboy
15-Apr-10, 08:56
dont know if you will see it or not but i do know all our flights from here a cancelled unti lfurther notice????

DeHaviLand
15-Apr-10, 09:01
I doubt you'll be able to recognise it from normal cloud cover, but it has to come down somewhere. All airports in Scotland are closed as a precaution, and there was some suggestion this morning that anyone who is asthmatic should think about wearing a mask with air-filter.

riggerboy
15-Apr-10, 09:07
I doubt you'll be able to recognise it from normal cloud cover, but it has to come down somewhere. All airports in Scotland are closed as a precaution, and there was some suggestion this morning that anyone who is asthmatic should think about wearing a mask with air-filter.

i`m already wearing a mask but it does not have a air filter mmmmm och i`ll be fine dinna worry folks o wait a meenit i hevna got ashma, so i dont supposh he ash will hurt me

DeHaviLand
15-Apr-10, 09:09
i`m already wearing a mask but it does not have a air filter mmmmm och i`ll be fine dinna worry folks o wait a meenit i hevna got ashma, so i dont supposh he ash will hurt me

I doubt if that gimp mask is going to help much :lol:

fred
15-Apr-10, 09:11
Will we be aware of this cloud of ash passing overhead??

We could see some spectacular sunsets.

riggerboy
15-Apr-10, 09:12
I doubt if that gimp mask is going to help much :lol:

here i hope you meant chimp mask, are you watching me through the window or what, thats it i`m going to shut the blinds, bloody peepin toms

riggerboy
15-Apr-10, 09:14
We could see some spectacular sunsets.

DeHaviLand wont if he keeps peepin through ma windows, he`ll end up looking like cheechee the panda and seeing nothing through his 2 black eyes,,,,,,

Phill
15-Apr-10, 09:31
I don't know if were in the clear now but it seems bright enough here.

Gonna be lots of fund darn sarf with the airyplanes later though.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/aviation/vaac/data/VAG_1271309704.png

John Little
15-Apr-10, 09:49
Damned Icelanders - getting their own back for us making them pay the cash back....

Send a gunboat!

Kenn
15-Apr-10, 09:51
Any one know how quickly the cloud is moving?
Looking northwest from here on the north coast the sky has gone very grey over the last hour.

Phill
15-Apr-10, 09:58
Damned Icelanders - getting their own back for us making them pay the cash back....

Send a gunboat!

We would but we're not allowed to send one in case it gets dirty with ash falling on it!

chocolatechip
15-Apr-10, 11:17
All airports in the U.K are closed even right to Newquay in the South West of England. And the Danish airspace closes at 5pm and the British Airspace closes midday until at least 6pm this info is from SKY NEWS and the Irish Airspace closes 12pm until 8pm

Invisible
15-Apr-10, 11:40
Surely it wont be a CastASHtrophe!:lol:

Phill
15-Apr-10, 13:27
All airports in the U.K are closed even right to Newquay in the South West of England. And the Danish airspace closes at 5pm and the British Airspace closes midday until at least 6pm this info is from SKY NEWS and the Irish Airspace closes 12pm until 8pm

All UK airspace is now closed, this is what the radar looks like:

http://i805.photobucket.com/albums/yy337/Phill_Rawlins/screenshot1200.jpg

Even Chance
15-Apr-10, 13:55
No very often you see it lek at Phill!!:eek:

northener
15-Apr-10, 14:20
All UK airspace is now closed, this is what the radar looks like:

http://i805.photobucket.com/albums/yy337/Phill_Rawlins/screenshot1200.jpg

Is that a Ryanair flight i see over Eire? If anyone was going to keep running.......:Razz

northener
15-Apr-10, 14:22
Anyway, I'm not taking any chances. I'm sloping off to Italy until it literally blows over.

Got a nice little villa in some coastal place called Pompeii, never heard of it before, but there's a nice looking mountain nearby. I may walk to the top of it......

Boozeburglar
15-Apr-10, 14:33
I am surprised some here have not seen the reports that this is a cover up for a huge air strike on Iran.

John Little
15-Apr-10, 14:43
SHHHHHH!

If THEY find out you've spilled the beans you'll be for the high jump!

dafi
15-Apr-10, 15:06
I am looking forwards to some spectacular sunset photography later tho!!

Phill
15-Apr-10, 15:30
No very often you see it lek at Phill!!
Aye, I don't know when there has been a complete closure of UK airspace before.

Is that a Ryanair flight i see over Eire? If anyone was going to keep running.......
There are rules and emergency measures, then there is Ryanair! To be fair it was the last departure and I think he just squeezed through the still remaining open airspace.

The rest of Western Europe is going now:
http://i805.photobucket.com/albums/yy337/Phill_Rawlins/screensho1400.jpg
The three that you can see in the UK are on the ground (it appears there is a 747 driving round Heathrow for quite some time, typical bliddy parking!).

This is what the closed airspace covers:
http://i805.photobucket.com/albums/yy337/Phill_Rawlins/Status_Map_4_24551.gif

ducati
15-Apr-10, 15:40

Send a gunboat!

They haven't :mad:

Phill
15-Apr-10, 16:44
The grey streaky bit is the ash:
http://www.esa.int/images/large_with_text.jpg

Even Chance
15-Apr-10, 16:54
Thats what I wanted to see. Thanks Phill.
What was the given time for that image?

Phill
15-Apr-10, 17:05
Thats what I wanted to see. Thanks Phill.
What was the given time for that image?

1325 CEST
full article here:http://www.esa.int/esaEO/SEMFYR9MT7G_planet_0.html

Stack Rock
15-Apr-10, 21:44
Does anyone think the grounding of all UK aircraft OTT. I base this on the regular yearly occurrance of fine sand particles blown in from the sahara deposited on my car and also it appears the main concentration of dust is high level to the north of us.

DeHaviLand
15-Apr-10, 22:00
Would you think it was OTT if just one plane was brought crashing to earth by this ash cloud? The problem would appear to be that once ash is sucked into a jet engine, it solidifies. I think they're better off on the ground.

Phill
15-Apr-10, 22:09
A scientific plane from the Natural Environment Research Council has been flying round, headed up this way before heading South again.

No ash detected.

peedie
15-Apr-10, 22:24
guess iceland misheard when we said send cash...

arite, arite.. hat. coat. door. [lol]

purplelady
15-Apr-10, 22:50
i went outside in wick about 30 mins and there was deff a strange smell in the air hard to discribe what it smelt like bit like rotten eggs lol

ducati
15-Apr-10, 22:53
i went outside in wick about 30 mins and there was deff a strange smell in the air hard to discribe what it smelt like bit like rotten eggs lol

Yes, Dunnet beach about teatime, very strong sulpher smell.

Unless it was brimstone coming north from Portgower!!

purplelady
15-Apr-10, 23:00
hehehehe am glad it was not just me but 2 other poeple smelt it too x