PDA

View Full Version : Dog urine killing grass

christina
15-Apr-10, 07:34
We have a small garden at the back of the house which Rufus uses for his business. But it is now quiet a big patch with no grass on it. As Rufus has killed it all with his urine. Was going to put some grass seeds down but dont think it will work as I have tried this before. We need to do something with it now the weather is getting better we were going to concreate it, even that way you have to power wash it with his urine and presents:D. Any ideas as our wee boy would love to go out and play in it once its cleaned and looking nice.

skinnydog
15-Apr-10, 08:03
My dog must have a different type of pee!! His seems to encourage the grass to grow so I have dark green, very lush patches where he has been. Can't think of what would help you - sorry!

Leanne
15-Apr-10, 11:50
I've decided you can have a nice lawn or a dog, not both...

If you have a big enough lawn can you not section of an area for the dog to toilet so that the rest doesn't get ruined?

highlandglen
15-Apr-10, 11:50
Dont know if this will help but we used to have a male Great Dane and he destroyed the back garden in the same way (just probably quicker than your dog !!) and we had the same problem with grass seed.
Now, I saw an advert for a grass that was designed for play areas I think.
It was not a native grass I am not sure but maybe Canadian???
I only have distant meneory of it, but maybe google for suppliers of seed to the councils or grden contractors, you may find it.
We did ours by fencing off half and letting it establish and then swapping over for the other side.
It did solve the problem and needed cutting from time to time as it seemed to like the urine!
Sorry could not be more specific.
Hope this helps
Geoff

aburns2409
15-Apr-10, 12:06
Sorry have to agree with a previous post - dog or grass - we had to dig it up and put bark down... it just looked awlful xx

donnick
15-Apr-10, 12:18
Both my dogs pee in the same spot and the grass grows faster there much longer than the rest of our grass :confused our 2 are only feed on dry feed if that makes any difference not sure but no scort marks :D

mrlennie
15-Apr-10, 12:33
Would getting a cat to wee in the same place sort it out....?[lol]

Dadie
15-Apr-10, 15:05
Mine has turned to mud as when Poppy dog has a pee she then scrapes the grass kicking it up with her back legs.....that and the moss problem if I got rid of the moss I wont have any grass at all!

Liz
15-Apr-10, 15:08
There is a product called Green Um by Mark and Chappell which could be worth a try.:D

Miss Dizzy
15-Apr-10, 16:37
There are also special stones called Dog Rocks which you put in the dog's water bowl. This alters the pee so it doesn't scorch the grass so much. Available at Pets at Home!:)

Liz
16-Apr-10, 12:04
There are also special stones called Dog Rocks which you put in the dog's water bowl. This alters the pee so it doesn't scorch the grass so much. Available at Pets at Home!:)

I was going to get this for Benjy but I knew he would just pick out the stones as he has a thing about picking up little stones and trying to chew them!:eek:

GruesomeTwosome
16-Apr-10, 12:21
I have strange dogs anyway but my girl's pee kills the grass but my boy's acts as a super fertiliser. There seems to be no trend reading back the posts :confused

Sarah
16-Apr-10, 22:57
I heard ketchup in it would make a difference :)

christina
17-Apr-10, 08:28
Thanks for the replies :D. Will go to pets at home and get stuff.

dragonfly
17-Apr-10, 09:10
I have the same problem with Brodie (other 2 either do it in different places all the time or it just doesn't harm grass). Brodie always uses my whirlygig post as a pee post and I have a lovely burnt bald circle all the way around it! but that could also be to do with throwing disinfectant over it before hanging out my washing :confused

Miss Mack
24-Apr-10, 22:43
We have 2 dogs, one pees on the grass...... its fine. The other pees on the grass...... it dies ! I dont get it cos they have the same diet:confused.

laguna2
27-Apr-10, 09:19
My mother swears by a few drops of vinegar in her little "girls" drinking water. She also maintains that it is worst from girl dogs!

bullielove
28-Apr-10, 18:55
I bought some dog rocks today from pets at home. £10 so they had better be good. I will let you know how we go with them - I am putting my faith in a couple of stones

Thumper
28-Apr-10, 19:31
I have the same problem and the dog rocks do help-during the summer especially,but I dont use them in winter and this year my garden is a total mess,so I poured tomato juice on al the patches and it actually helped! It did look like there had been a massacre but at least it made the patches look a bit better x

Liz
28-Apr-10, 19:49
I bought some dog rocks today from pets at home. £10 so they had better be good. I will let you know how we go with them - I am putting my faith in a couple of stones

I bought a bottle of Green-Um tablets which costs £5 for a month's supply. Shall we compare notes in a month's time?

Thumper thanks for the info re tomato juice. Will get some to put on the burnt patches.:D

bullielove
28-Apr-10, 22:46
I have the same problem and the dog rocks do help-during the summer especially,but I dont use them in winter and this year my garden is a total mess,so I poured tomato juice on al the patches and it actually helped! It did look like there had been a massacre but at least it made the patches look a bit better x

tomato juice on the patches - well that is worth a try! Good to hear the rocks worked for you

Also Liz - yes lets compare I did swither between the rocks and the green um tablets but i would have had to have given my girl 3 a day so it worked out the same (plus i would probably forgotten to give them regularly