PDA

View Full Version : Need some driving help

Sarah
14-Apr-10, 20:28
I've decided its about time I learnt to drive. I never wanted to, but now I feel I do need to. I've left it a while (I'm 22), because I have no confidence, and I am scared I won't be able to do it! But I've got to try. So I found these guys, £833 for 40 hours, does this sound OK?

http://www.bsm.co.uk/

that's them coming to Kinlochbervie I assume.

Now my problem is, I have no experience at all, other than what I have read in books and CDroms. So would they take me even though I am a complete beginner? I don't have anyone I can learn with, so I am a blank canvass of sorts. Would they take me if I explained that?

It's the actual driving I am worried about, I have really read up on the driving bit, and think I could do the theory easy enough. So yeah, any advice would be much appreciated. :)

EDDIE
14-Apr-10, 20:48
I've decided its about time I learnt to drive. I never wanted to, but now I feel I do need to. I've left it a while (I'm 22), because I have no confidence, and I am scared I won't be able to do it! But I've got to try. So I found these guys, £833 for 40 hours, does this sound OK?

Now my problem is, I have no experience at all, other than what I have read in books and CDroms. So would they take me even though I am a complete beginner? I don't have anyone I can learn with, so I am a blank canvass of sorts. Would they take me if I explained that?

It's the actual driving I am worried about, I have really read up on the driving bit, and think I could do the theory easy enough. So yeah, any advice would be much appreciated. :)

Well i would say to pass your theory test first then worry about the rest later your driving lesson are working out at about £20.82 an hour what make you think you will need 40 hrs to learn to drive?
Only advice i would give you is pick up the phone and book the lessons i dont think i would pay the full whack up front to start with i would book a couple of lessons to start there is nothing worse if u get an instructer that has a short fuse and u might not like because once you pay the whole lot up front your commited.
A lot of instructers like taking people from scratch there is no bad habits?
When you first start learning to drive a car its hard to start with but about 15 hours driving experience later you will wonder what your problem is its just something that just comes to

upolian
14-Apr-10, 20:48
My advice to you would be find somebody with a private road and practice on it? i learnt to drive on a track road,got confident bought some field cars then i turned 17 [lol] i wasnt so confident about it,as soon as i got in the swing of it i was delighted[lol]From what i have seen some people going straight into driving lessons on a public road can get nervous and be put off by it! I duno you though so you may take to driving very well even though you feel like you wont,good luck with it and happy motoring:D

mrlennie
14-Apr-10, 21:55
Yeah it can be abit nerve wrecking going onto the road. As long as your instructor knows that and your happy with him then it should be alright (the idea about booking a couple of lessons first is good - it generally never goes well paying that amount up front)

Boozeburglar
14-Apr-10, 23:24
I was driving the car home from the pub at 9, and doing all the tractor driving.

My advice is to do the Theory test first.

Then get some driving done, preferably on forestry tracks or similar, and once you have the basic feel for shifting and steering take the money to the mannie for the finesse.

:)

Ash87
14-Apr-10, 23:33
I would say leave the theory test untill you have done a bit of driving.... You have to pay for the theory test and after that you only have limited time (2years I think) to pass your actual test. I know that this sounds a lot but if for any reason you want or need to take a break from lessons and your theory runs out then you have to pay again. I know a few people who this has happened to and after 2 years you'd need to practice your theory and hazard perception all over again. I booked my theory a few weeks before I booked my test when I knew that I was really going to stick at it :)

(not trying to imply that you might not stick at it btw!! Just in case :) )

Good Luck and Enjoy!! :)

ywindythesecond
15-Apr-10, 00:09

. :)

I don't think BSM will come to Kinlochbervie. I expect they will want you to go to them. Looking at https://www.bsm.co.uk/centres your nearest BSM is in Inverness.
If I was 16 now and wanting to learn to drive , I would book a test for one week after my 17th birthday, and book intensive training for the week before the test.

joxville
15-Apr-10, 00:13
The best advice I can give you is send a pm to Northener, he's a registered driving instructor and will be able to best advise and allay any fears you have; when you've passed your test you'll wish you had done it sooner, the freedom it gives you as well as job opportunities. Good luck. :)

ducati
15-Apr-10, 00:23
Sarah, They will let any idiot drive, witness some of the threads on here :lol:

So don't worry about it.

Anyway, as the new Minister for Transport (assuming Phill is successful in rig.. ahem, winning the election) Just send me £500 (PM Me) and I will arrange for you to receive a driving licence by return. :eek:

horseman
15-Apr-10, 01:23
Take it easy sweety,one step at a time.It's no big deal,really.
Any competent instructor will talk you thru' the process, an if you can collar one like northener-well all he needs is a slap an he is all yours.
Good luck to you.:)

Aaldtimer
15-Apr-10, 03:58
I don't know how old you are Sarah.
My wife tried to learn how to drive in her younger years, with a former husband, and an instructor, and just gave up.
Since we got together, I've become mobility limited, and very bravely, she started to take lessons again.
It took her a while, and a few attempts at her test , but she finally passed her test 5 years ago, at the age of 46...and hasn't looked back since!
What a wee belter she is!
Think positively lass!
Go for it.:)

riggerboy
15-Apr-10, 07:45
Sarah, They will let any idiot drive, witness some of the threads on here :lol:

So don't worry about it. :eek:

o well thats you in a class and you never knew it,

apart from the slanderous remark above lol,

you should stick with the proffesionals, dont go driving up and down country lanes and such like, you as you put it a blank canvas therefore no bad habitats, the perfect beginner so to speak, go for it

BishBashBosh
15-Apr-10, 08:07

i passed my test a year ago and did it thro kwik pass! i did hav some experiance but that just meant that i payed for less hours. I got on really well with the instructor i had and even though others told me he wasnt very good it worked 4 me!
I had an assesment lesson 1st where i could speak to my instructor and then go away and decide if it was going to work! it does seem like alot of money but sit and work out how many hours you would get with another instructor most of the time it is actully cheaper!

most of all dont worry about it! all you have to get is half an hour of perfect driving that they want to see! After you pass is when u actully learn how to drive!

Have fun

celtic1888
15-Apr-10, 08:26
Everyone has to start sometime.
when i first started, i had never driven a car before and was bricking it!
the driving instructors have to be patient with new drivers, its part of their professional job.
As soon as you get lessons, after a few you'll start to feel more confident.
I would wait to do your theory test after a few, just so you can see how driving works, it'll help you on your test.

Good luck and happy driving!

northener
15-Apr-10, 09:35
You rang, M'lady?:Razz

Although BSM have their regional office in Snecky, that's an administrative centre and not necessarily where all the instructors are based, for example we have one here in Wick. I started out with BSM in Northampton, but even though they're competition for me now, I've found the majority of their instructors are OK.

Last year i was talking to a BSM instructor in Ullapool, so seeing as KLB ain't that far away you may be able to get him. Do they still test in Gairloch?

As for prices - you pays your money and takes your choices. I'd see who you've got reasonably locally and compare prices. The going rate around here is £25 per hour, I'd guess it's very similar on the West Coast.
But remember, cost is not necessarily a good indicator of how good the ADI actually is. getting a discount is only worthwhile if you're getting quality tuition. Personal recommendation counts for a lot.

22? No age at all. Not a problem. I'd be tempted to book a trial lesson with BSM before comitting yourelf to a large amount of dosh. See how you get on.

Regarding theory test, you could certainly do the TT and Hazard Perception test before you start to drive, but as someone said erlier the pass is only valid for two years - so think carefully about timing and when you're actually planning on beginning your lessons. My personal experiences tell me that many people benefit more if they dot he TT alongside lessons - as they compliment each other and you can get expert guidance immediately if you have a 'problem area'.

If you want any more info, i'd be happy to help. Just let me know.

N.

Bobinovich
15-Apr-10, 11:29
I had no experience behind a wheel before starting to drive so booked 10 lessons (2 per day for 5 consecutive days). This worked great for me as everything I learned remained fresh in my mind. By the end of the 10 lessons my instructor said I was ready to take my test. I got booked and took a single session each week until the big day, with another lesson the hour before the test. Wham bam & passed first time - never looked back!

As Jox says it is the single most liberating thing you can do, with getting your own house a close second :D.

Good luck.

Vistravi
15-Apr-10, 13:46
I had alot of lessons as soon i turned 17. i couldn't wait to drive so you can imagine how it seemed to drag til my 17th birthday! Unfortuantly i had to give it up and then i couldn't afford it when i was ready for it again. Now i'm back on the road learning as i'm determined to get my license for myself and my baby's. I want to take my bairn out and about to different places and i want to be completly independent and not have to rely on anyone else to get anywhere. I passed my theory test then but stupidly let it run out.
I've got my theory next week and i know i'm going to pass it as i'm getting between 48 to 50 out of 50 for the theory questions and i've always find the hazard easy and pasing by 80 to 90 percent all the time.
It's scary at first but take it slow. Don't rush into things untill you feel ready. I've been out and about with my step dad as my co driver for a couple of times since i got the insurance sorted last week and its only now i can confidently say i'm ready to go into fifth gear. It is my lack of confidence that is holding me back and by each time i'm in the driver seat its slowly coming back. I was scared the first time i got into the car and could only do half an hour of driving before i had to stop. I allowed myself two days to come round it again and pushed myself back into the driver seat and the second time i felt so much better.
As other people have said, wait and do your theory alongside your lessons. Driving at the same time helps you to understand the theory questions alot better. I've found the second time round doing it so much easier as i know alot of why you do something from driving and from my partner over the last 2 years as he's into his cars.
When it does come time to do your theory test give yourself a couple of months before your booking date to prepare. It is worthwhile using the driving disks and the theory question books. Anything you get wrong, find out why you got it wrong and if you need to write a note about it. Write it in a way that allows you to understand and remember.
Good luck and enjoy!

sharona
15-Apr-10, 16:48
it is not that hard to do ,, up ere there is only 1 round about thats in wick and theres is no dual carriage ways so really not hard at all we call it caithness licence lol