PDA

View Full Version : Hamnavoe rough seas

Dog-eared
14-Apr-10, 00:08
Has this been posted before? Rough!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhsBfNxWILg&playnext_from=TL&videos=zWq2Hpc5r30

DOC ROCK
14-Apr-10, 00:28
It was just like that on a return trip once before It was wild, but fun.

David Banks
14-Apr-10, 01:13
It looks like many of the summer trips I took on the St Ola. The fish were well fed.

When the weather was particularly bad, the Ola (during summer school holidays) used to take the long route to Stromness through Scapa Flow - avoiding the roughest seas near the Old Man.
Does Hamnavoe still have to do that, or can it "take anything" ?

Dog-eared
14-Apr-10, 01:26
It still does the Scapa route depending on sea state.

Heres one of the "Suilven" - wasn't she the Ullapool to Stornoway ferry once ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7NB-bN-ns4

David Banks
14-Apr-10, 01:44
It still does the Scapa route depending on sea state.

Heres one of the "Suilven" - wasn't she the Ullapool to Stornoway ferry once ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7NB-bN-ns4

This thread brings up so many memories.
I do remember standing at the rail of the Ola on one such occasion to overhear "Hueghy, ma false teeth, Hueghy."
Hueghy never came to help.
I imagined a cod later trying them on for size.

sandyr1
14-Apr-10, 03:29
Remember going over on the St Ola, and it being suggested that Whisky was the only remedy. Was in my teens......Tried it and then some of the tables and chairs were not tied down....landed in a corner!
The St. Ola didn't go up and down so much, it went from side to side...........Yuck!

ducati
14-Apr-10, 07:24
Have you seen this one? same youtube page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5mE3vXd-y8&feature=related

Kevin Milkins
14-Apr-10, 08:50
I could get sea sick by just looking at those video clips.:eek::eek:

I think I will keep my feet on dry land.

laguna2
14-Apr-10, 09:24
Best cure for sea sickness?

Sit under a tree!

... think about it ;)

achingale
14-Apr-10, 10:30
Eeeeek! Think I would have just not bothered that day. Now that is what you call rough!

Sarah
14-Apr-10, 20:17
Lots of memories! I remember being on the Oban - Lochboisdale one, its was very rough, so much so even the crew were saying to me they had never seen it so bad and it shouldn't have sailed. However we were too far and it was too bad to turn back, we just had to keep going. A 6.5 hour journey turned into an 11 hour journey, and we didn't even make it to Barra! It was like being on a rollercoaster :D good fun! I loved it, but it would have been better if there weren't people throwing up everywhere (spoiling my fun LOL).

Best place to be is in the front (most of the calmac boats the cafe is at the front, so I just sit there). You get the most movement and fun there!

Anfield
14-Apr-10, 20:28
Have you seen this one? same youtube page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5mE3vXd-y8&feature=related

I like the way that Google place an ad. for Northlink during video.

I assume that the Hamnavoe video was taken on a busy weekend. Northlink would never send her out in that midweek with the usual number of passengers that midweek sailings attract

Dog-eared
14-Apr-10, 23:16
Chill out man. Its just some videos made by some people.
We just watch them for fun. :)

Aaldtimer
15-Apr-10, 03:16
Lots of memories! I remember being on the Oban - Lochboisdale one, its was very rough, so much so even the crew were saying to me they had never seen it so bad and it shouldn't have sailed. However we were too far and it was too bad to turn back, we just had to keep going. A 6.5 hour journey turned into an 11 hour journey, and we didn't even make it to Barra! It was like being on a rollercoaster :D good fun! I loved it, but it would have been better if there weren't people throwing up everywhere (spoiling my fun LOL).

Best place to be is in the front (most of the calmac boats the cafe is at the front, so I just sit there). You get the most movement and fun there!

So where did you make it to then?:confused

Errogie
15-Apr-10, 09:23
I used to make regular trips to Rhum and the Small Isles on the Loch Arkaig a converted minesweeper, wooden hull and an additional iron superstructure which made it notoriously rolly. Once when we had to stay below decks on account of the storm the captain decided to cancel the drop off at Eigg and did a u turn and headed back to the mainland.

I remember all the pots and pans leaving their shelves and hooks and crashing to the other side of the galley and as the mail bags slithered across the cabin I just managed to catch my son's carry cot as it followed them across the floor. Thought we were never going to come back from that roll! My other memory of those times is that the Cal Mac crew were always well set up large fellows who seemed to be continually tucking into steak and onoins down stairs and that with the occaisional wiff of diesel was not the best combination for a sensitive stomach.

However I latterly found that a seasick pill plus a large Talisker whisky from the Marine Bar in Mallaig helped the voyage to pass. Those video clips bring it all back! The Loch Arkaig eventually sank in Mallaig harbour was raised and sold to the Greeks and is no doubt spending its twilightl years pottering about the Med.