PDA

View Full Version : Large old building in Brown Place?

rambo1978
13-Apr-10, 14:44
Can anybody tell me what this building was used for in the past? It is currently used as storage space for Mackenzies of Brown Place.

Just curious

Thanks

veritas
13-Apr-10, 14:56
It was the top of a rope works that stretched all the way down to Richards Garage

rambo1978
13-Apr-10, 15:03
thanks for the info Veritas, any further information available?

ciderally
13-Apr-10, 15:07
thats good feedback..learn something new every day thanks veritas xx

plutonio
13-Apr-10, 15:12
It was a coopers.

Stack Rock
13-Apr-10, 16:08
The manufacture of furniture

Metalattakk
13-Apr-10, 17:26
It was the top of a rope works that stretched all the way down to Richards Garage

Eh? Did they not know that you can coil up the rope as you go? No need for a big long thin building then, silly!

Honestly, Weekers? :roll:

*gets coat*
*runs*

DeHaviLand
13-Apr-10, 18:25
It was a coopers.

Thought the cooperage was in Albert St?

bonami
13-Apr-10, 20:25
There would have been a few cooperages in Wick in the herring days. Sure I read somewhere there are plans to turn this building into flats.

Angel
13-Apr-10, 22:49
Traditionally... Mr Know it all...

Rope is is made from twisted fibres which form threads... These threads, often 3, are then tied to a 'bobbin' which is mounted on a frame which is mounted on a track at one end of a 'long building' and then twisted counter-clockwise. The track length relates to the size of the 'bobbin' and draws the 'bobbin' towards the thread feeder. Often bicycles are used within the mill/factory's as they are that 'LONG'.

Some people just need to get out of Caithness...

Angel...

veritas
14-Apr-10, 07:51
It was a coopers.

Not as far as the 1868 OS maps are concerned they have it listed as a rope works though no doubt cooppering went on in area possibly ws used for that as well

Metalattakk
14-Apr-10, 10:05
Traditionally... Mr Know it all...

Rope is is made from twisted fibres which form threads... These threads, often 3, are then tied to a 'bobbin' which is mounted on a frame which is mounted on a track at one end of a 'long building' and then twisted counter-clockwise. The track length relates to the size of the 'bobbin' and draws the 'bobbin' towards the thread feeder. Often bicycles are used within the mill/factory's as they are that 'LONG'.

Some people just need to get out of Caithness...

Angel...

Well done.

Next question: Can you get a humour bypass operation reversed on the NHS?

Amy-Winehouse
14-Apr-10, 17:46
Well done.

Next question: Can you get a humour bypass operation reversed on the NHS?

Are you Trolling ?

ducati
14-Apr-10, 19:14
Are you Trolling ?

Special today BOGOF

domino
14-Apr-10, 19:33
It used to be a fish curing yard. I forget who owned it

Metalattakk
14-Apr-10, 21:44
Are you Trolling ?

Nah. It was a serious question. The answer would explain much.

ducati
14-Apr-10, 21:50
It used to be a fish curing yard. I forget who owned it

Is that like a vet? [lol]

Angel
14-Apr-10, 22:05
I will look into it for you. But I think I can get you into a private practice if you wish...

Angel...

Amy-Winehouse
14-Apr-10, 22:10
Special today BOGOF

Hope your referring to Metalattak mate. Anything to do with Wick & Pulteneys history then Im always interested. There would need to be lots of space for making rope,, especially for the amount the men would have needed back in them days.

fred
14-Apr-10, 22:19
Hope your referring to Metalattak mate. Anything to do with Wick & Pulteneys history then Im always interested. There would need to be lots of space for making rope,, especially for the amount the men would have needed back in them days.

He was saying two two Trolls for the price of one.

So if the rope was made at Pultney was the hemp used to make it grown at Hemprigs?

Metalattakk
14-Apr-10, 23:08
I will look into it for you. But I think I can get you into a private practice if you wish...

Angel...

Hehe! Well deflected... :D