PDA

View Full Version : Hoopoe

kani
12-Apr-10, 17:56
According to my bird book, I think I've just seen a Hoopoe in Thrumster. Anyone know if these are normally seen here at this time of year.

kas
12-Apr-10, 18:48
Its not a bird you mistake for anything else and there was one in Orkney at the weekend. Never been lucky enough myself. Let us know if hangs around as I would love to see it.
Thanks for posting.

nemosia
12-Apr-10, 18:56
Hi Kani,

As Kas said one seen recently in Orkney and it's not a bad time of year for them either. Last record I have for the county was an autumn bird though on 18/09/05 at Noss Head.

Could you tell me where abouts in Thrumster as I shall have a look for it tomorrow morning.

Cheers,
Iain

Kevin Milkins
12-Apr-10, 20:08
I have seen quite a few in Gran Canaria and they are a beautiful bird, but I am surprised that they are spotted in the UK.

That must have been exciting.:Razz

kani
12-Apr-10, 20:34
It was down through the village about 3/4 mile just couple hundred yards along the right hand fork. I live along that road and was just returning home from work, if I'd thought about it I should've got my mobile out and taken a photo. If I see it again I'll add a post.

nirofo
13-Apr-10, 01:09
Here's a photo of a Hoopoe, not a bird you could confuse with any other.

Hoopoe.
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o71/nirofo/Birds/Hoopoeatnesthole.jpg

nirofo.

Ricco
13-Apr-10, 07:24
You lucky, lucky person! I have always wanted to see one for years... never had such luck.

nemosia
13-Apr-10, 13:51
It was down through the village about 3/4 mile just couple hundred yards along the right hand fork. I live along that road and was just returning home from work, if I'd thought about it I should've got my mobile out and taken a photo. If I see it again I'll add a post.

No sign of it between Thrumster, Mains of Ulbster and Sarclet this morning. Anyway, thanks.