PDA

View Full Version : Dr Who - Science Fiction or just pure Fiction?

Flashman
12-Apr-10, 12:27
Watched the latest episode of Dr Who and must admit I was not really impressed by it.

Seems to me there is less and less actual Science Fiction and more just pure fantasy. I remember the DR Who's of old would have Science based explanations for things and try to give reasons for things being like they were in the furture or reasons why the dinosaurs went extinct ect

But Saturdays episode was a pure fantasy based scribble. I could not take that scenario seriously.

I would assume sadly that todays modern target audiance for DR Who are not really the types who like to be mentally stimulated while watching saturday night TV :roll:

Kodiak
12-Apr-10, 12:49
For the past 55 + Years I have been a Fan of Science Fiction and Science Fantasy. So quite naturally when Dr Who was first Screened I watched it and have done so ever since.

All through the Years I have never thought that Dr Who was Science Fiction. To me it has always been Science Fantasy.

I find that most people get Science Fiction and Science Fantasy mixed up and by what you stated, you have done exactly this. The reason why Dr Who was based on Fantasy was that is exactly what it is, Science Fantasy.

bobbyrussell09
12-Apr-10, 18:22
For the past 55 + Years I have been a Fan of Science Fiction and Science Fantasy. So quite naturally when Dr Who was first Screened I watched it and have done so ever since.

All through the Years I have never thought that Dr Who was Science Fiction. To me it has always been Science Fantasy.

I find that most people get Science Fiction and Science Fantasy mixed up and by what you stated, you have done exactly this. The reason why Dr Who was based on Fantasy was that is exactly what it is, Science Fantasy.
totally agree with u

Flashman
13-Apr-10, 12:19

But whats the difference between Science Fiction and Science Fantasy?

Cloaks and Blasters as apposed to Cloaks and Light Swords :cool:

Dr Who was written back in the day by a small pool of script writers from a Science Fiction background, hence the initial Time Travel idea is rooted firmly in Science Fiction. The writers would apply science they were familiar with into the plots and recycle many ideas.

However the modern version like many TV programmes today seem to have more guest writers and many of these are from Soap and drama backgrounds.