PDA

View Full Version : Anyone had the same experience?

Lassie
10-Apr-10, 04:20
Having recently turned 18 I expect to be asked for ID when purchasing restricted items such as alcohol and have absolutely no objection to this. I do however object to being asked to provide a second form of identification because the cashier does not believe the photo is myself. I understand that over time my looks have changed slightly but the only major difference in the photo is that my hair is straight whereas now I usually have my hair curly. This has happened on several occaisions in the same shop and on every occurance the manager is called to check both forms of ID. Just curious to know whether this happens to anyone else as I now have to carry 2 forms of ID.

BillyEspie
10-Apr-10, 04:27
hey i have seen me going into tesco's before and i am 27 yrs old and the cashier asking me for id to buy stuff so hope that eases your mind lassie lol

dragonfly
10-Apr-10, 06:23
maybe you take after your mother and look way younger than your years but posting at 4am will soon make you look more haggard and therefore older so no need to carry 2 forms of ID

but for now the easy answer is don't buy alcohol or fags............both are bad for you! xxx

northener
10-Apr-10, 07:54
Lassie, I have some bad news for you.

It's very much an 'in' joke amongst checkout staff.
They have a set-up where if they find a really dodgy or funny photo of someone, they'll call over their supervisor to check how bad it really is. At the end of the week the supervisor gives out a small prize in the staffroom for the person who found the ugliest or scariest photo.

Sorry about that, but it's only right that you know.:(

dragonfly
10-Apr-10, 08:00

They have a set-up where if they find a really dodgy or funny photo of someone, they'll call over their supervisor to check how bad it really is. At the end of the week the supervisor gives out a small prize in the staffroom for the person who found the ugliest or scariest photo.

Oh you have just gone way up in my estimations Northerner, that will not be well received :lol:

ducati
10-Apr-10, 09:28

You really should be locked up you know :eek:

northener
10-Apr-10, 11:42
You really should be locked up you know :eek:

Thats the best compliment i've had in a long time.....

...in fact, it's the only compliment I've had in a long time.:Razz

richardson.laura
17-May-10, 01:43
if it cheers you up, im 23 and have a baby, was trying to purchase a film for those over 15 and was still asked for id. had car keys in my hand and everything. however im 5 foot nothing and built like a 9 year old so it could be that ;)

have had the 2 id thing as well, was meeting some friends at a bar in edinburgh and the bouncer thought id "borrowed" an id because i didnt look like i was 21 or 22 (whatever age i was), finally got in after a driver's license, student id, 2 credit cards and a debit card.

Boozeburglar
17-May-10, 01:47
Did you get them back?

richardson.laura
17-May-10, 02:22
haha yeha after he shined them under the uv light torch things.

Boozeburglar
17-May-10, 02:38
when i was clubbin i carried £20 and a condom, how things change! :)

richardson.laura
17-May-10, 02:52
im a girl, i only carried a fiver ;) lol

Invisible
17-May-10, 11:14
I was ID'd for non-alcoholic lager once and on another occasion was refused Champagne truffles for an anniversary gift as my mate who was with me didn't have any ID.

richardson.laura
17-May-10, 11:16
haha i did get id'd for shloer once!

Dadie
17-May-10, 11:21
I have been I.D1'd for a tattie peeler!

bish667
17-May-10, 11:59
I once got asked for alternative ID but that was nothing to do with buying drink, it was by the police.
Fair enough the picture on my driving license was taken when i was 16 and i was 26 when this happened, and I have changed a fair bit since it was taken.
Couldnt help but laugh tho.

Phill
17-May-10, 12:13
I've only ever been asked for ID once, and that was shortly after my 18th birthday in a pub I'd been boozin' in since I was 15!

celtic1888
17-May-10, 12:18
I've only ever been asked for ID once, and that was shortly after my 18th birthday in a pub I'd been boozin' in since I was 15!

same haha!

Kodiak
17-May-10, 12:36
Having recently turned 18 I expect to be asked for ID when purchasing restricted items such as alcohol and have absolutely no objection to this. I do however object to being asked to provide a second form of identification because the cashier does not believe the photo is myself. I understand that over time my looks have changed slightly but the only major difference in the photo is that my hair is straight whereas now I usually have my hair curly. This has happened on several occaisions in the same shop and on every occurance the manager is called to check both forms of ID. Just curious to know whether this happens to anyone else as I now have to carry 2 forms of ID.

Just because you have ID it does not mean that the shop you are in have to accept it. If for any reason, and I do mean ANY REASON, they are not sure about the ID you provide, they are perfectly in their rights to ask for further ID or refuse to sell to you.

Also I am sure that last time I was in Tesco I heard an announcement that shoppers must be or provide ID that they are at least 25 Years Old before they will sell Alcohol. So if this is true even with your ID proving you are 18 they just might not sell to you.

LMS
17-May-10, 12:40
I was trying to buy some booze (along with the week's shopping) the other day and was asked for ID. As I am fast approaching 35 and have three children, I haven't felt the need to carry any ID. The jobsworth behind the till refused to give it to me and gave me a lecture about carrying ID. I think she was expecting a bit of a set-to, but I just told her that I had no intention of standing pleading so asked her to just remove the offending articles from my shopping. I never had a grilling like it when I was under-age.

Now, I am a firm believer in cracking down but crack down on the youngsters and leave the rest of us to enjoy a glass of plonk whilst watching Corrie without the rigmarole.

Phill
17-May-10, 12:42
I was trying to buy some booze (along with the week's shopping) the other day and was asked for ID. As I am fast approaching 35 and have three children, I haven't felt the need to carry any ID. The jobsworth behind the till refused to give it to me and gave me a lecture about carrying ID. I think she was expecting a bit of a set-to, but I just told her that I had no intention of standing pleading so asked her to just remove the offending articles from my shopping. I never had a grilling like it when I was under-age.

Drunk on power!

Invisible
17-May-10, 13:24
Just had a thought. If you get turned away for not having ID or buying alcohol with someone under-age, can the supermarkets turn you away for buying booze with your shopping if you have your children with you?

riggerboy
17-May-10, 14:20
im a girl, i only carried a fiver ;) lol

hence the child ,,,,,

bekisman
17-May-10, 14:57
Mrs Beks went into Inverness B & Q and asked the service counter for an over 60's Diamond card. "You're too young" says the girl.. Mrs Beks produces her Citizen Card and spends the rest of the day grinning...

katarina
17-May-10, 15:37
I widna worry aboot it. It'll be soon enough that no one will ask for ID. They wouldn't serve me in a bar when I was 27. Oh how I long for those days!

richardson.laura
17-May-10, 16:48
hence the child ,,,,,

actually that was when I was about 18 or 19 and a student, I didnt have my daughter until I was 23 but the assumption is superb and not at all inappropriate.

riggerboy
17-May-10, 16:59
actually that was when I was about 18 or 19 and a student, I didnt have my daughter until I was 23 but the assumption is superb and not at all inappropriate.

glad no offence was taken,

pottheed
17-May-10, 22:47
Just because you have ID it does not mean that the shop you are in have to accept it. If for any reason, and I do mean ANY REASON, they are not sure about the ID you provide, they are perfectly in their rights to ask for further ID or refuse to sell to you.

Also I am sure that last time I was in Tesco I heard an announcement that shoppers must be or provide ID that they are at least 25 Years Old before they will sell Alcohol. So if this is true even with your ID proving you are 18 they just might not sell to you.

It is actually if the cashier thinks you are under 25 they will ask you for ID to prove you are under 18 :)

Julia
17-May-10, 23:32
The last time I was asked for ID I was 26, to say I was delighted was an understatement ;)

onecalledk
18-May-10, 12:02

Now, I am a firm believer in cracking down but crack down on the youngsters and leave the rest of us to enjoy a glass of plonk whilst watching Corrie without the rigmarole.

YOu werent in tesco in Inverness at all were you? there it appears that even if you are over 18yrs old they refuse to serve alcohol if you have a minor with you, and by minor I mean minor, mothers with toddlers beware if shopping in inverness tesco !

seems it is some tesco over zealous policy!

K

Scarybiscuits03
18-May-10, 13:04
I often get asked for id if Im in the co-op and im 30.........needless to say if Im buying booze I head there for a nice little compliment!!