PDA

View Full Version : domestic appliances!

Dadie
09-Apr-10, 14:40
Dont you hate it when they are not working!
I keep wondering what they did before we had all these time saving devices like washing machines, tumble dryers, hoovers and steam cleaners!
When my tumble dryer clapped out before christmas and the weather was awful and nothing was drying the whole house looked like a chinese laundry with damp clothes and bedding everywhere.
Now the hoover has packed in we have had the rice crispies over the floor and my plant on the stairs uprooted (usually a 5 min job with the hoover to tidy the mess up) and its taking ages to do with a brush!
And when the fidge freezer died (we were on holiday....yuck)I was going demented with having to go shopping everyday for essentials like milk and meat for tea.
I also dont enjoy looking and comparing prices and delivery times for new domestic appliances.... it just isnt the same as clothes or shoe shopping!
Especially as you dont really think about replacing them until they die!
I just assume they will live forever and dont think about them too much as long as they keep doing what they are suposed to do:lol:

wicker8
09-Apr-10, 14:44
you know dadie to true i left all my ironing until sunday late on my oh was away with the car my iron packed in half way through my ironing the only place open was tescos but i had no car it always seems to happen that way

Dadie
09-Apr-10, 14:47
Oh I wouldnt care if the iron packed in!
Hubby doesnt wear shirts to work now so I dont use it much and probably wouldnt miss it for months!
Now the kettle......That would have to be replaced immediately as its in constant use:lol:

ShelleyCowie
09-Apr-10, 14:47
My washing machine is on its last shakes. :( I love my washing machine, its not an old one. But it seems that something is definetely wrong, it shakes its way across the kitchen quite alot.

the only thing thats broken in the last 3 years was our TV. We were due to buy a new one anyways so was glad when the old one died :lol:

And i have my reliable henry hoover who never does me wrong. And i dont iron so that saves money on them too :D

John Little
09-Apr-10, 14:50
"I keep wondering what they did before we had all these time saving devices like washing machines, tumble dryers, hoovers and steam cleaners!"

Married women gave up work and stayed at home - and did everything. All of Monday was for washing and daughters took the day off school to help - which was accepted generally. They got up at 5-6am to do breakfast and the entire rest of the day was washing, skivvying, cleaning, cooking and pure drudge. In between they had to bear children, rear them and look after a man who came home, after a 12 hour day at often hard physical jobs, exhausted. 75% of people were working class on a budget of about £1.20 a week which had no slack in it, so she had to be very canny wi the siller.
One third of women died of child-birth complications, and average age of death was 52. People of 40 looked 70.

"washing machines, tumble dryers, hoovers, gas cookers and electric irons did far more to liberate women than ever did their getting the vote.

Dadie
09-Apr-10, 14:56
Im off to make my 3 yo sweep the stairs by hand to remove the compost from my uprooted plant!
Hopefully she will think its fun if not I think it will be a suitable punishment for uprooting it in the first place!

kriklah
09-Apr-10, 17:11
a number of years back, my tumble dryer died, courtesy of the neighbours tom cat, who did what tom cats do best, inside the drum!!! the stench was horrible, and no amount of bleach/disinfectant would shift it, so off to the white goods morgue it went, and blew the weeks budget on a new one. 2 weeks later the washing machine packed up!!! this time couldnt aford to buy outright so out came the catalogue, ordered up a new one, to be delivered within 2 weeks. i figured 2 weeks is ok, OH worked away with the car and was too far to the laundrette but i can hand wash the smalls and just save the rest for the machine. no such luck, delays from the manufactures ment another 8 weeks!! and when it did arrive, the delivery came duing the 5 minute slot of time as i popped out on a school run!! so another week before they came back with it. needless to say nearly 3 months without a washing machine was no fun. id ended up taxi-ing to the laundrette a fair few times. but the worst of the washing involved my 3 month old baby's terry nappies, which after the first 2 weeks were put aside in favour of disposables for a while!! i now rent a larger drum washing machine, and i only use the dryer for towels and urgently needed stuff, otherwise its all on racks and hangers around the solid fuel boiler in my utiltity room/chinese laundry!!

joxville
10-Apr-10, 00:06
This thread reminds me of an email I received of genuine but funny adverts, which included one for domestic appliances back in the 40's/50's. The tagline was 'Gentlemen, don't let hard work kill your wife, let electricity do it'. [lol]

achingale
10-Apr-10, 16:14
This thread reminds me of an email I received of genuine but funny adverts, which included one for domestic appliances back in the 40's/50's. The tagline was 'Gentlemen, don't let hard work kill your wife, let electricity do it'. [lol]

This made me laugh. Very good.