heres one for a bit of fun....

what was your first ever paid job?
how old were you?
and how much did you get paid?

lets see how they vary.....

upolian
08-Apr-10, 23:05
15 years old, washing cars for people for like a fiver a shot[lol]

First employment was trainee window fitter averaging £190 a week after tax! i was 16 then

John Little
08-Apr-10, 23:09
15 years old and bumping bales up 7 courses onto a trailer for a local farmer for 50p an hour!

The Drunken Duck
08-Apr-10, 23:14
15 years old.

Worked for a local Newsagent doing two paper rounds, one Mon-Sat mornings and a Sunday round.

The exact amount escapes me but it was pretty good cash for a 15 year old. Never had a problem financing a date.

annemarie482
08-Apr-10, 23:21
i was fourteen, working in the local hotel
waitressing, kitchen prep, cleaning, anything went! lol
was on 5 quid an hour.
was rich among my pals lol

piratelassie
08-Apr-10, 23:31
My first job was with Caithness Glass,back in 1965 and my weeks wage was £4./9/6d that was good money them days.....:Razz

trix
08-Apr-10, 23:31
i worked in beelie-mochs when i wis in 'e high school, 2.50£ an oer.

also in berties chip shop for even less, 1.50£ :roll:

then when i left high school i worked in 'e flooer shop in dempster street. four seasons.
loved it ayre. wis all right paid, didna hev til go til school an got til listen til 'e radio all day :cool:
'e guy used til leave me on ma own all day, felt lek a proper little grown up!!

i can still fair rattle a bunchy o' flooers tilgither an make it all bonny...

joxville
08-Apr-10, 23:35
I was thirteen before my mother allowed me to get a job. I took over a paper round from a friend, then asked local businesses if they wanted advertising leaflets delivered so was able to combine the two, and at weekends I worked in a petrol station, before they changed to self-service. Occassionally I worked in a scrapyard too, helping rip out salvageable parts from old cars.

My first full time employment was as an apprentice fitter, shockingly, I earned more when I was at school!

Rictina
08-Apr-10, 23:38
I was 16 & working as an apprentice Hairdresser for £25 p/week ... :eek:[lol]

trix
08-Apr-10, 23:47
I was 16 & working as an apprentice Hairdresser for £25 p/week ... :eek:[lol]

prity shabby eh?
but then, how much wis a bottle o' wine at 'e time...packet o' fags....loaf o' bried, pint o' milk??

couple o' shillin's? :Razz

DeHaviLand
09-Apr-10, 00:03
I had a paper round for 4 years from aged 11. 7 days a week, 3 bags on a sunday, all for the princely sum of £1.50 a week, and never a rise in all that time.

First real job was as a trainee site engineer, salary of £1210 per year! :eek:

Rictina
09-Apr-10, 00:08
prity shabby eh?
but then, how much wis a bottle o' wine at 'e time...packet o' fags....loaf o' bried, pint o' milk??

couple o' shillin's? :Razz

Excatley, its all relavant really. [lol]:lol:

George Brims
09-Apr-10, 00:13
First 40-hours-a-week job was at Caithness Glass, summer of '72. I was 18. General gopher, sometimes van driver, sometimes packing stuff for dispatch in the stores, sometimes in the batch house mixing up the stuff that was melted to make the glass (very heavy work that part), cutting the grass out the front. Even swept the car park with a broom once. Yes, the whole car park. All for 11 pounds 75 a week!

I did love watching the guys at work actually blowing the glass. A fascinating craft. I wonder what they're all doing now?

Bazeye
09-Apr-10, 02:11
Apprentice 1976. £20 pick up for a 40 hour week.

sandyr1
09-Apr-10, 03:41
[quote=trix;688368]i worked in beelie-mochs when i wis in 'e high school, 2.50£ an oer.

Pray tell me where the above/ who the above was??? Kinda rings a bell!

Mine was filling tatties into bags in the COOP on Francis St., with Robbie Geddes the boss, telling me I was too slow!! A couple of Moons ago!

The Pepsi Challenge
09-Apr-10, 04:40
Selling drugs to middle-class teenagers. Oh, right, you meant first job.

jock leith
09-Apr-10, 06:29
13 years old,butcher boy with Donny Angus(great boss).cant remember what the wagws were but free cinema passes each week was a great bonus.
J Leith

tonkatojo
09-Apr-10, 08:53
£1.10s6d or thirty two shillings and sixpence as an apprentice motor mechanic back in 1965 this is £1.12.5 p per week, then they took 2/6d or 12.5p a week to clean my overalls.:(

trix
09-Apr-10, 09:11
Pray tell me where the above/ who the above was??? Kinda rings a bell!

i cana mind 'e guys name. alec somethin...banks maybe?
it wis 'e shop next til 'e fish shop on 'e street. is it now some lawyer buildin? invisible wid ken.

it selt mostly manies clothes....crap basically. vests an pants an wellie boots. shop wis in a wild mess, clothes ivrywhere. could niver find what ye wis lookin for.
wis niver very busy.

brandy
09-Apr-10, 09:14
15 years old.. working in a grocery store... called ingles. cant remember how much i was paid an hour. but i do remember my first pay check.. i recived just about75 dollars and i thought i was so rich!! went a bought a tent!!

ShelleyCowie
09-Apr-10, 09:26
When i was 13 i done a paper round over the summer holidays. Mon-Sat and got £15 a week :lol:

Then my first actual job was working in Sandras hostel, changing the beds and cleaning rooms for £2.50 an hour. I found changing the beds quite relaxing....when i never slept in for work! [lol]

riggerboy
09-Apr-10, 10:43
first job wiz cleenin oot a bakery van and washing it on a saturday, £2.50p wiz about 13

second job cartin tatties on knoxx larry £ 7.00 a day wiz about 14

then of to the real world and wiz kertin concrete block for years, wage never enough

mrlennie
09-Apr-10, 10:56
My first job was working in the back of K2 washing dishes. What happened to that place?

I was 15 and I got £5/hr

northener
09-Apr-10, 11:26
Don't really remember what came first, but I had a morning and evening paper round both together. I'd also tidy up peoples gardens after my evening paper round in the Summer (50p an hour).

August the 12th onwards would see me and a few of my mates beating for the local syndicate on the grouse moors around our village. £10 perday (an absolute fortune to a 14 year old in the '70's) and all the Party Seven you could drink at lunchtime.:Razz I were pretty minted. Wish I still was......

School was something that interfered with me making money as far as I was concerned.

wicker8
09-Apr-10, 11:42
my first job was working in the station hotel in wick helping in the kitchens i got 2.50per hour 50p extra for anyover time i did

ducati
09-Apr-10, 12:03
Did the paper rounds n car washing, but first proper job (left school at 15) was Apprentice Diamond Mounter in a workshop in Wilmslow.

Paid £12.50 a week then went up to £13 then I got fired :eek:

Bought my first motorbike on HP with that!

Hibeechick
09-Apr-10, 12:09
i worked in beelie-mochs when i wis in 'e high school, 2.50£ an oer.

also in berties chip shop for even less, 1.50£ :roll:

then when i left high school i worked in 'e flooer shop in dempster street. four seasons.
loved it ayre. wis all right paid, didna hev til go til school an got til listen til 'e radio all day :cool:
'e guy used til leave me on ma own all day, felt lek a proper little grown up!!

i can still fair rattle a bunchy o' flooers tilgither an make it all bonny...

Four seasons was my first job too 12 years ago! As a saturday lass. Was good money for a 13b year old!

Kodiak
09-Apr-10, 12:33
I was 15 Years old when I started my first full time job as a "Apprentice Ladies Hairstylist" and my Weekly Wage was £2-1s-6d for a 45 hour week. This is = to being paid 1/- (5p) per hour

I thought I was rich when 6 months later I was given a payrise of 5/- PW. which is equal to 25p :D

spaceddaisy
09-Apr-10, 12:51
I was thirteen and took a seasonal job in a local plant nursery. I was on £2.30 per hour!

Haven't been out of some form of work since then :P

veekay
09-Apr-10, 13:32
15, working saturdays in Woolies. Had really horrid green nylon uniform

Beat Bug
09-Apr-10, 13:33
Back in the mid 1950's I had a holiday job in an office which paid £2 per week. My first job on leaving school 3 years later paid £3 a week, and after 2 weeks the boss announced a 10/- (50p) a week pay rise for everyone! Out of that I gave my mum £2 a week for my keep, and from the rest I paid my bus fare to work, bought my lunch and fags, and still managed to go dancing every week-end and save for my holidays! How times have changed!

shamrock2007
09-Apr-10, 13:36
My first job was at Hempriggs home at the weekends when i was 14 got paid £1.75ph!

trix
09-Apr-10, 16:43
Four seasons was my first job too 12 years ago! As a saturday lass. Was good money for a 13b year old!

i worked ayre from when i wis 16 til 18, am 30 now so maybe it wis ma job ye got :cool:

we could hev a rite yarn aboot 'at place ;)

Breeches
09-Apr-10, 16:57
Delivered rolls in the mornings for the pie shop in Thurso in the early sixties for one pound ten a week. I always got blown off the bike up in Springpark when we had gales!

dollycat
10-Apr-10, 14:15
worked in the harbour cafe for george and margaret mowat, lovely bosses,and the wages were really good for the time:)

Twiggy
10-Apr-10, 21:46
I worked for Cardosis,40 hour week £1-10,which to-day is £1-50,:~(

bekisman
10-Apr-10, 21:49
Trainee Head Gardener (bored brainless for a couple of years)
£7 a week

NLP
10-Apr-10, 22:21
Leather factory,on a training scheme got £17.50 per week I was17.

twiglet
10-Apr-10, 22:38
Worked as a Saturday/holiday cover person for £10 a day in a florist when I was 18 and at college. It paid for my weekly travel pass with 50p to spare.

My first proper job was as a part time playworker on £300-£400 a month and I topped up my earnings with agency babysitting and private nannying. Never had a moment to myself but it paid the bills. It meant I could leave home and stand on my own two feet.

pat
11-Apr-10, 14:13
Cutting grass of a a local teacher - paid more than my pocket money!

Saturday and holidays in Woolies - yes the horrid green nylon overalls, high brown counters with everything underneath.

Left school and started full time work, worked at something or other every since.

Commore
11-Apr-10, 17:59
Cook, in the diet kitchen of a Glasgow hospital. Wages were rubbish but I loved the work and meeting those of whom I was responsible for cooking for.

StacNKel
11-Apr-10, 20:54
My first job was in a travelling grocery van in dumfries and the odd shift in the little shops the guy owned when i was 13... £1.75 an hour, was hard work making up bags of potatoes in a van that went flying around corners quite fast lol