PDA

View Full Version : Malcolm mclaren dies

Green_not_greed
08-Apr-10, 21:02
What a shame. A truly unique individual who really pushed the boundaries. I had a lot of time for Malcolm.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8610423.stm

GNG

Liz
08-Apr-10, 22:23
That is sad news.

He was a very intelligent man who spoke his mind. RIP Malcolm.

The Pepsi Challenge
08-Apr-10, 22:52
I await John Lydon's eulogy. Oh, wait...

http://thequietus.com/articles/04053-lydon-i-ll-miss-mclaren

Rictina
08-Apr-10, 22:57
Sorry, its a bit before my time, but still very sad.

George Brims
09-Apr-10, 00:05
Wasn't he the bloke who said "Never trust a Christian or a junkie. They have different agendas"? Other than that piece of wisdom I thought he was a prat actually.

Blarney
09-Apr-10, 00:14
Wasn't he the bloke who said "Never trust a Christian or a junkie. They have different agendas"? Other than that piece of wisdom I thought he was a prat actually.
Ditto! Shame that he suffered but don't believe in praising the newly deceased for the sake of it.

Boozeburglar
09-Apr-10, 00:38

Well he died, so you can breathe easy now.

Personally, I think he was hugely significant and damn witty with it.

Boozeburglar
09-Apr-10, 00:40
Ditto! Shame that he suffered but don't believe in praising the newly deceased for the sake of it.

Well what a sad person you are that you cannot observe the human trait of saying something good about the passing.

Bazeye
09-Apr-10, 02:02
Thanks Malcolm for leading me astray in 1976, loved every minute of it. RIP :D

Bazeye
09-Apr-10, 02:04
Thanks Malcolm for leading me astray in 1976, loved every minute of it. RIP :D

Btw Most people who know me, know me by my nickname of Punk, even after 34 years.

George Brims
09-Apr-10, 17:10
Well what a sad person you are that you cannot observe the human trait of saying something good about the passing.
Personally, if I was in a room with a relative of his who was upset at his passing, I would make every effort to say something nice and/or comforting. Seeing as this is a different situation, I feel free to express my opinion that the man was a bit of a prat. I also think the man himself would not have argued with me if I had said it to his face. That's the kind of prat he was, and why he was so successful. At least he brought us the Sex Pistols, not some sham version of punk like the Ramones. See, I said something good about him now.

Bazeye
09-Apr-10, 18:03
Personally, if I was in a room with a relative of his who was upset at his passing, I would make every effort to say something nice and/or comforting. Seeing as this is a different situation, I feel free to express my opinion that the man was a bit of a prat. I also think the man himself would not have argued with me if I had said it to his face. That's the kind of prat he was, and why he was so successful. At least he brought us the Sex Pistols, not some sham version of punk like the Ramones. See, I said something good about him now.

Except that The Ramones were out a long time before the Pistols even formed. In fact the punk scene in NY was going strong before it even kicked off in the UK and the ripped clothing, safety pins and razor blade fashion adorned by punks in the UK was copied from Richard Hell.

northener
09-Apr-10, 18:10
Mr Hell and his Voidoids...eee, happy days.

McLaren was supremely cynical, I liked him. He saw the popular music industry for what it was and wasn't frightened to say so.

Boozeburglar
09-Apr-10, 19:35
It has always been The Velvet Underground for me, love New York Dolls too.

I was being somewhat tongue in cheek about saying something nice.

I don't have anything nice to say about Diana, nothing at all.

;)

Green_not_greed
09-Apr-10, 22:30

Well everyone is entitled to their opinion. Regarding a few points since I started this thread, I thought the guy was a true trendsetter - not a follower. So a lot or respect from me, particularly musically, but also in what he achieved with Vivienne Westwood.

Regarding points about Punk and NYC well McLaren brought their situation/status to the UK then made such a statement of it that UK punk led the world and that "punk" is still considered a UK thing despite NYC originally being ahead of the game. I am very proud of that - and like Bayeye have my punk credentials well preserved somewhere in the past!

Incidentally I believe that he brought Richard Hell (from the Voidoids) and Tom Verlaine together to form Television - a truly inspirational band even today IMO.

GNG

Boozeburglar
09-Apr-10, 23:49
Television are simply the greatest band to eminate from the West.

George Brims
10-Apr-10, 00:25
The punk thing may have started in NY, but the only true punks to me were the UK ones. As far as I am concerned the Ramones were just a hair band who dressed in black. They were just so confoundedly cheerful, which is so un-punk.

I'm away now before someone throws stuff.

northener
10-Apr-10, 07:49
Well, every day is a school day on the .Org.

I never realised Richard Hell was in Television. 'Marquee Moon' is one of my favourite songs from that era - along with 'I am the Fly' by Wire, that is.

Bazeye
10-Apr-10, 13:12
Well, every day is a school day on the .Org.

I never realised Richard Hell was in Television. 'Marquee Moon' is one of my favourite songs from that era - along with 'I am the Fly' by Wire, that is.

If he was, I dont think they recorded anything. Television were Tom Verlaine, Richard LLoyd, Fred Smith and Billy Ficca. The Void Oids were Richard Hell, Robert Quine, Ivan Julian and Marc Bell who went on to join the Ramones when Tommy hung up his drumsticks to concentrate on producing.

Bazeye
10-Apr-10, 13:34
Best intro to a song ever. Hey were the Ramones, this ones called Rockaway Beach.. ONE,TWO, TREE,FOUR!!!!!!