PDA

View Full Version : Question

cesare
08-Apr-10, 15:29
my freind recently bought a new motherboard socket 775 he also bought a new 500 watt psu and also bought a pentium 4 duo 2.8ghz cpu and bought 2gb of ddr2

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=G31M-GS%20R2.0

this the board^^

now

i greased the chip with artic silver put on the heatsink ,, inserted the pcie gfx card that is tested and working
pluged in all dvd/hd drives both ide and sata

problem is the pc wont post it powers up all u can hear hard drives booting and u can see the dvd rws light blinkin couple of times then stop as if it tryin to boot from cd- ive tried reseting bios tried takin out the motherboard battery ,unplugged all drives so it was just usin the onboard gfx the cpu and fan all fans power up
Still no go tho
because the motherboard is brand new would i be right in assuming its the chip because the chip was bought used but tested off of ebay??

any feedback welcomed

dx100uk
08-Apr-10, 23:43
diff to tell without substitution of parts.
could be memory
could be CPU.
could be motherboard

test what you can in a known working pc

its always best to basic build first, then add otherstuff in stages on homebuild projects

dx

Niall Fernie
09-Apr-10, 09:13
I'd also check that the gfx card and memory are propery seated in the slot as this would cause the system not to start.

If you make sure you have connected the speaker on the case to the mobo you may also get some warning beeps that can help identify whats up. Usually cpu or memory problems will trigger these beep codes whereas gfx cards may not.

cesare
23-Apr-10, 16:47
I'd also check that the gfx card and memory are propery seated in the slot as this would cause the system not to start.

If you make sure you have connected the speaker on the case to the mobo you may also get some warning beeps that can help identify whats up. Usually cpu or memory problems will trigger these beep codes whereas gfx cards may not.

hmm the ram is brand new and tested the board is brand new the card was tested
it all seems to be running it just dosnt post