PDA

View Full Version : Housework

John Little
08-Apr-10, 12:30
I was brought up to look after myself. In fact, personally I feel that it is beneath the dignity of a man to expect to be waited on. I don't mind my wife doing things for me in the way of making me a breakfast - but just as long as I can make hers too.

I have just finished mopping and scrubbing the bathroom floor. Later I may put the vacuum round, for that job has trousers on in this house- as has heavy lifting, shifting heaps in the garden, anything to do with plumbing and electrics and clearing drains.

But I sew my own buttons, can do my own ironing, clean both our shoes. When my wife was in full time work she got home after me and her dinner was on the table. Now I work and she is more at home so my dinner is ready when I come in- which is good cos she's a better cook than me. But I can whistle up a three course meal, make my own gravy without lumps and she tells me that my spag bol is superior to hers.

Marriage is surely an equal relationship. Work is work, and has to be done and my wife is my wife - not my servant. I even leave the toilet seat down.

Am I a traitor to my sex?

Metalattakk
08-Apr-10, 12:32

I was thinking along the lines of 'insufferable braggart'. ;)

laguna2
08-Apr-10, 12:35
Too good to be true? :lol:[lol]:lol:

ShelleyCowie
08-Apr-10, 12:35
I was brought up to look after myself. In fact, personally I feel that it is beneath the dignity of a man to expect to be waited on. I don't mind my wife doing things for me in the way of making me a breakfast - but just as long as I can make hers too.

I have just finished mopping and scrubbing the bathroom floor. Later I may put the vacuum round, for that job has trousers on in this house- as has heavy lifting, shifting heaps in the garden, anything to do with plumbing and electrics and clearing drains.

But I sew my own buttons, can do my own ironing, clean both our shoes. When my wife was in full time work she got home after me and her dinner was on the table. Now I work and she is more at home so my dinner is ready when I come in- which is good cos she's a better cook than me. But I can whistle up a three course meal, make my own gravy without lumps and she tells me that my spag bol is superior to hers.

Marriage is surely an equal relationship. Work is work, and has to be done and my wife is my wife - not my servant. I even leave the toilet seat down.

Not a traitor, but a good man i say! :D

When i moved in with my OH 3 years ago he taught me how to cook alot of things. I knew basics, but nothing substantial. Now i can cook nearly anything i want too.

He works nearly 50 hours a week, im a full time mum. I actually really enjoy cleaning the house, doing the washing, doin dishes. Hoovering is my favourite. But i hate ironing with a passion :lol:

My OH cooks dinner once a week, thats all i will allow him in the kitchen for! My kitchen!! lol. But he has no grumbles about doing anything really apart from dishes.

I dont mind doing anything due to some of his health problems, but he is brilliant with the kids and i love that. :Razz

wicker8
08-Apr-10, 12:44
no john your what todays female wants my oh is like your self and it works better i for one never did like your slipper are at the fire side dear i used to hate these old adverts when a man and his son are sittin making model planes and the woman and her daughter are busy in the kitchen rrrrrrr but no you have given respect there and you also got it returned hope you have a good hoover not a dam dyson

onecalledk
08-Apr-10, 12:46
wow! thats impressive, can I ask a personal question and ask for the age bracket that you are in ?

There is a genuine reason for asking this !

As a parent to an under 10 I am aware that it is my job to make sure that when he leaves home he will be able to look after himself. He should be able to cook his own food, mend his own clothes, handle money, clean up after himself etc etc....

When I was in school we were taught all this as part of home economics, am not sure it is even taught anymore in school. I remember being in primary school and being taught how to knit as were the boys!

Everyone regardless of sex should be able to look after themselves properly. There are generations out there that just dont have these skills.

There is nothing wrong at all with men cooking, cleaning etc. Marriage is about sharing and supporting. Myself and my OH both work full time but we each help with the running of the house. Thats as it should be.

If I didnt work and was a full time mum I would be happy to do all the housework etc as my OH would be doing his bit by earning all the money for the household.

So in answer to your question you are not a traitor to your sex, you are an enlightened male :D

K

John Little
08-Apr-10, 12:52
LOL - I am 50+ OCK.

Wicker - I would not give a Dyson houseroom.

Hoida
08-Apr-10, 12:56
My OH is excellent around the house can turn his hand to most things hates cooking but I enjoy cooking and his other pet hate is hanging out the washing if I am unable to do so. We are both retired with family living elsewhere and when something needs doing one or other of us gets on with it. He is the gardener I don't like gardening :lol:

brandy
08-Apr-10, 12:59
well done you! no reason for a man not to clean if he is able.. however, most men dont do vengence cleaning or angry cleaning. a lot of women when they get really angry will clean. i know it sounds weird but its really good stress relief.. i would sugest getting in a females way when she is in a anger clean.. that anger may be redirected on the hapless male who got in her way *G*

wicker8
08-Apr-10, 13:07
LOL - I am 50+ OCK.

Wicker - I would not give a Dyson houseroom.glad to hear it

riggerboy
08-Apr-10, 13:52
i work 91 hours a week and i dont have time to leave the seat down, if its down when i go in it`s wet when i leave, as for cooking i wouldnt know where to start, washing no idea, hoover yes ,iron why i have a tumbly thingy, i dont even know the number for a taxi, i have the best wife in the world she does everything for me, i have tantrums like a child, i huff and dont speak when i dont get my own way, i will eat anything she puts in front of me even if i dont like it, 20 years together and i really dont know her likes and dislikes,

what can i do i love her to bits, heres hoping i die first if not i`m screwed

mrlennie
08-Apr-10, 14:30
i work 91 hours a week and i dont have time to leave the seat down, if its down when i go in it`s wet when i leave, as for cooking i wouldnt know where to start, washing no idea, hoover yes ,iron why i have a tumbly thingy, i dont even know the number for a taxi, i have the best wife in the world she does everything for me, i have tantrums like a child, i huff and dont speak when i dont get my own way, i will eat anything she puts in front of me even if i dont like it, 20 years together and i really dont know her likes and dislikes,

what can i do i love her to bits, heres hoping i die first if not i`m screwed

Haha wait...91 hours?!?!

Hogfather
08-Apr-10, 14:37
What is this 'housework' of which you speak? ;)

I can work the washing machine. And the hoover. And I quite enjoy washing up (it gets all the crap out from under my fingernails :Razz). Good job I don't have to cook though, I'd have poisoned meself by now ;)

Vistravi
08-Apr-10, 15:15
My partner is the better cook in the house. He does the cooking but i do it once/twice a week. I did do all the washing untill i turned a pair of his underwear slightly pink as i had not seen his underwear mixed in with the darks. As you can imangine he was not pleased about having pink underwear! :eek: So now he will do his share of the washing too but often forgets to take the clothes out of the machine lol. We both clean the house and will often if we are both not working blits the house together to get it done faster and sooner. I don't mind cleaning and will often once started just keep going untill most of the house is done. It gets done because it needs done. I usually find that its all done after a couple of hours anyway so no need to do it all day. As long as i know it has been done then i'm not worried.

riggerboy
08-Apr-10, 16:00
Haha wait...91 hours?!?!

yes 91, 7 x 12 plus 1 hr ot x7 = 91

demac-artist
08-Apr-10, 18:35
My OH is 35 and I'm 38 and he loves the cleaning and housework. He looks after all the washing and pots and cleaning. He feels its his way of de-stressing. I do all of them too and we take in turns - totally modern man who is self suffient and so am I.

I recently moved my 17yr son out and he is totally self sufficent- made sure he did home ec at school and wasn't afraid of the cooker - or his washing etc I never cleaned his room from the age of 8 and its taught him to look after himself - proud mum because he can look after himself considering at his age and female I could only burn water - which is a feat in itself..lol

So no not a traitor just able to look after yourself - in this day and age women don't really look at a man unless he can look after himself because if hes crap at looking after himself he will probably be crap at looking after you... make sense

De

Dadie
08-Apr-10, 21:31
Im at home all day with the kids... so I do the cooking (hubby not too good at cooking) I clean the bathroom.... the rest is done or not done depending on how frazzled we are by both of us!
Hubby does the DIY as im dangerous (his words not mine) and he cuts the grass and car stuff!

fender
09-Apr-10, 07:10
Riggerboy who do you work for? You're being exploited. Never heard of the European Work Directive!

riggerboy
09-Apr-10, 08:22
Riggerboy who do you work for? You're being exploited. Never heard of the European Work Directive!

i`m not being eploited i`m being paid, they dont have enough hours the more the merrier, screw the eu i`m from poulteney

fender
09-Apr-10, 12:47
`m not being eploited i`m being paid, they dont have enough hours the more the merrier, screw the eu i`m from poulteney

Your employers are breaking the law. I take it you ain't on the minimum hourly wage!

riggerboy
09-Apr-10, 13:37
`m not being eploited i`m being paid, they dont have enough hours the more the merrier, screw the eu i`m from poulteney

Your employers are breaking the law. I take it you ain't on the minimum hourly wage!

no not on the minimum wage,