PDA

View Full Version : School girl (12) sues police for 1m dollers...

celtic1888
07-Apr-10, 22:34
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8602327.stm

not a bad claim eh?

haha

joxville
07-Apr-10, 22:36
Only in America. :roll:

brandy
07-Apr-10, 23:07
seriously though.. think if it had been your child..she scribbled on a desk.. what would have been an appropraite punishment? being drug out by the police in handcuffs taken to the police station.. kept in handcuffs and held for hours?
what was she charged with? vandalism?
omg what would be the punishment here in wick with some of the darlings at the schools.
this is just to much..
they dont get punished here.. its to much there.. *rollseyes* what happened to punishment that fit the crime.. draw on a desk.. heres a scrub brush and cleaner.. you get to clean all the desks now..
omg .. and what horrible things she wrot as well... I love my friends... the horror the humanity.. even if she had written die.. teacher die.. i hate you.. screamed obsenities at the teacher and went kicking and screaming from the room.. should she really have been arrested? def. called mom and dad.. suspended yup.. but she didnt do any of those things..
geeze.. its like the 5 year old the police tazered....
the phrase what is the world coming to comes to mind

Metalattakk
08-Apr-10, 00:27
seriously though.. think if it had been your child..she scribbled on a desk.. what would have been an appropraite punishment? being drug out by the police in handcuffs taken to the police station.. kept in handcuffs and held for hours?
what was she charged with? vandalism?
omg what would be the punishment here in wick with some of the darlings at the schools.
this is just to much..
they dont get punished here.. its to much there.. *rollseyes* what happened to punishment that fit the crime.. draw on a desk.. heres a scrub brush and cleaner.. you get to clean all the desks now..
omg .. and what horrible things she wrot as well... I love my friends... the horror the humanity.. even if she had written die.. teacher die.. i hate you.. screamed obsenities at the teacher and went kicking and screaming from the room.. should she really have been arrested? def. called mom and dad.. suspended yup.. but she didnt do any of those things..
geeze.. its like the 5 year old the police tazered....
the phrase what is the world coming to comes to mind

$1M though? Get real. :roll:

brandy
08-Apr-10, 00:48
if it stops the stupidity and lack of common sense then yup i agree..the only way they are going to be stopped from using tasers on young children is to hurt them where it counts and thats the purse. hows this for you a 6 year old boy threw a temper tantrum in florida, he broke a picture frame and said he was going to cut himself. instead of using common sense to get the piece of glass away, the police officer called tasered him.
another one.. a 11 year old girl throwing a temper tantrum on her mother.. who does not have custody.. (btw so that tells you something right there) called the police when said child woulnt go to bed. police came.. and mother told him to go ahead and taser the child.. he did.. cuffed her picked her up carried her to the police car and threw her in.
she was small enough the officer had no problem picking her up and carrying her.
this child was not being violent she was laying in the floor crying btw..
tasers can kill.. they have several times before. how would you like your young child to have 50,000 volts of electricity run thru them? if it was an extreme case where there was violence, the child was big enough to be a threat and nothing else could be done.. then ok.. i could see it..
what next.. special needs children that have a tantrum getting tasered because they are out of control?
my 5 year old is autistic.. there are times he has meltdowns when he overloads.
ive seen him just fall down screaming and hitting himself, because he can not cope with the sensory overload.. how do you deal with it?
you try to calm him down, get him somewhere quiet, put something weighted around his shoulders. focus his attention onto me so that he can try to block other things out..
i would never inflict pain to try to subdue him.
but it could happen, if he was somewhere in public threw a fit, and a police officer decided that he was a danger.. bam 50,000 volts enought to take down a 300lb man.
is that what we want to be able to happen to our children?
i have no problems with tasers as defensive weapons for the police. however i do have a problem with the idiotic way they are used.
after reading the orig. post looked it up online, the ammount of improper use of tasers is stagering. one such event for example two 18 year old boys, their father was swept away to sea while at the beach.. clearly distraught.. they are shouting and trying to go help their dad. the sherrif throws one to the ground then a dept. proceeds to taser him twice while another is holding onto the brother.

theone
08-Apr-10, 00:48
She committed a criminal act in vandalism.

I'm not denying that I may have written on a desk or two at school, but I'm pretty sure that if I'd been caught I'd have been a lot more worried about what my folks were going to do to me than the police.

Here the parents are seeing the misbehaviour as a money making venture. Sad really.

This 'compensation culture' has to stop. It costs every single one of us in taxes and insurance premiums.

Metalattakk
08-Apr-10, 01:18
if it stops the stupidity and lack of common sense then yup i agree..the only way they are going to be stopped from using tasers on young children is to hurt them where it counts and thats the purse. hows this for you a 6 year old boy threw a temper tantrum in florida, he broke a picture frame and said he was going to cut himself. instead of using common sense to get the piece of glass away, the police officer called tasered him.
another one.. a 11 year old girl throwing a temper tantrum on her mother.. who does not have custody.. (btw so that tells you something right there) called the police when said child woulnt go to bed. police came.. and mother told him to go ahead and taser the child.. he did.. cuffed her picked her up carried her to the police car and threw her in.
she was small enough the officer had no problem picking her up and carrying her.
this child was not being violent she was laying in the floor crying btw..
tasers can kill.. they have several times before. how would you like your young child to have 50,000 volts of electricity run thru them? if it was an extreme case where there was violence, the child was big enough to be a threat and nothing else could be done.. then ok.. i could see it..
what next.. special needs children that have a tantrum getting tasered because they are out of control?
my 5 year old is autistic.. there are times he has meltdowns when he overloads.
ive seen him just fall down screaming and hitting himself, because he can not cope with the sensory overload.. how do you deal with it?
you try to calm him down, get him somewhere quiet, put something weighted around his shoulders. focus his attention onto me so that he can try to block other things out..
i would never inflict pain to try to subdue him.
but it could happen, if he was somewhere in public threw a fit, and a police officer decided that he was a danger.. bam 50,000 volts enought to take down a 300lb man.
is that what we want to be able to happen to our children?
i have no problems with tasers as defensive weapons for the police. however i do have a problem with the idiotic way they are used.
after reading the orig. post looked it up online, the ammount of improper use of tasers is stagering. one such event for example two 18 year old boys, their father was swept away to sea while at the beach.. clearly distraught.. they are shouting and trying to go help their dad. the sherrif throws one to the ground then a dept. proceeds to taser him twice while another is holding onto the brother.

You're making the grave mistake of blaming the police/authorities instead of blaming the parents/guardians.

Tasering kids is certainly not a 'good idea'. Of course it's not. Allowing kids to even get into the situation that they possibly could be tasered is reprehensible.

Q: When are shoddy parents going to own up to their own short-comings?

A: Never. They're parents, and ipso facto are beyond reproach.

Well, not in my world.

brandy
08-Apr-10, 07:49
i understand about the parental responsibility.. but what about when it dosent have anything to do with the parents? ie.. the children are at school and instead of calling the parents they call the police who then use excessive force and tasers on young children?
i think that is what is so scary, in a lot of these cases the parents had no clue what was going on. i do agree a million dollars does seem extreme.. but im not really even thinking about the money in the situation.. its the fact that these kids parents were completly bipassed. they never had a chance to be part of the situation much less be able to do something about it.

Metalattakk
08-Apr-10, 10:44
You're just not getting it brandy - if the child is raised properly then it wouldn't be misbehaving in school in the first place. No need to call the cops (or even the parents).

Mind you, if the teachers could discipline the unruly kids then that would go a long way to solving this particular problem.

brandy
08-Apr-10, 10:56
6 year old.. they throw tantrums sometimes dosent matter how well they are brought up. they get upset they get scared they cry.. no child is 100 perfect all the time.. they have emotions all over the place.. anyone with kids know that. a young child will have meltdowns its part of being a child.

Metalattakk
08-Apr-10, 11:11
6 year old.. they throw tantrums sometimes dosent matter how well they are brought up.
No-one in my primary two class took a temper tantrum. No-one. It does matter how well they are brought up.

they get upset they get scared they cry.. no child is 100 perfect all the time.. they have emotions all over the place.. anyone with kids know that. a young child will have meltdowns its part of being a child.
I'm not entirely sure that you're correct. My suspicion is that a temper tantrum is a sure-fire sign of bad parenting, especially in a 6yo.

ShelleyCowie
08-Apr-10, 11:37
my golly gosh! I have seen from 1 year olds up to 20 year olds taking temper tantrums! I still take temper tantrums :lol:

I am not being nasty about anyone, but no child is raised perfectly unless you have "pushy parents" and for one i will never be one of them!

My mum raised me just fine. I can cook, clean, take care of my family, manage money etc etc. What more do i need? So if i want to take a tantrum then i will.

The girl in the link should not have drawn on the school desk but jeeeeeesooo its just a desk! I think i must have written on one or 2 in school :roll: no biggy! Its just a desk. If you got caught....you cleaned it!

Sara Jevo
08-Apr-10, 21:51
One extreme reaction has provoked another extreme reaction.

The child is probably just shaking her head. The adults ought to know better.

_Ju_
09-Apr-10, 07:55
You're just not getting it brandy - if the child is raised properly then it wouldn't be misbehaving in school in the first place. No need to call the cops (or even the parents).

What? What an utopia your world is, Metalattak. A child is not a tamagotchi.
If Brandy is assuming the police behaved badly, then you are assuming that the child has bad parents.

What is missing in this whole story is COMMON SENSE. There is no common sense in calling the police to arrest a child for doodling on a desk. You have to ask what kind of teacher/headteacher figures out that the police are needed to deal with this type of situation envolving a 12 year old.