PDA

View Full Version : Titer tests and kennels?

Dadie
07-Apr-10, 15:37
Not sure my old lady Poppy dog needs her yearly jabs, but, she may have to go to kennels later on in the year.
Do kennels accept titer test results?
Will she still need the kennel cough nose spray?

brandy
07-Apr-10, 15:55
i think most kennels now require both proof of updated jags and kennel cough.. but dont know for a 100 percent.. just know that in the past few years ive been using kennels that they have requested it

Dadie
07-Apr-10, 16:03
Brandy I know they usually need proof of jags, but, Im wondering about the titer tests that show that the dog has immunity to the conditions the jags are for without getting the jags. It will probably work out dearer to get the titer tests instead of the jags, but there is no point in going down that route if the kennels wont entertain the results, I was just wondering as there doesnt seem to be a point in getting the jabs if there wasnt a need!
Lost the plot but you know what I mean!

Hogfather
07-Apr-10, 16:42
It's part of the conditions for the licence that boarding kennels have to see proof of up to date vaccs. Dunno whether titer tests would be acceptable - I would hope so, since it actually gives proof of immunity, which the vacc card doesn't! Worth dropping an email to the animal welfare lady (can't remember her name, will look in a mo, I emailed her recently for a list of licensed kennels) at highland council to ask - they set the licence conditions, and if they are happy with titer tests, maybe kennels will bo OK with it too? I would be very pleased if they said it was OK, as I go with titers for my oldies too!

ETA, the lady is called Hilda Sutherland, and her email addy is Animal.Health@highland.gov.uk

Sarah
07-Apr-10, 23:56
She will need kennel cough, as this easily spreads. I'm not sure on titre tests, I would like to think so as I don't vaccinate either.

Leanne
08-Apr-10, 12:30
Dunno whether titer tests would be acceptable - I would hope so, since it actually gives proof of immunity,

Just remember though that if you haven't vaccinated for a while the titre may not show any antibodies. It doesn't mean that your dog isn't immune, necessarily, but you will have to get the dog vaccinated anyway.

Hogfather
08-Apr-10, 14:18
Just remember though that if you haven't vaccinated for a while the titre may not show any antibodies. It doesn't mean that your dog isn't immune, necessarily, but you will have to get the dog vaccinated anyway.

I don't know anything about the levels of 'environmental exposure' in Caithness, must try to remeber to ask vets next time I'm in if they see many cases of parvo/distemper/lepto etc! IIRC, there is published evidence suggesting that immunity to the viral antigens may be lifelong after the puppy course and year 1 boosters. I tend to have the titer done a couple of weeks after the 'final' booster for my oldies, so I know that the 'systems' are working! 'Course, that wouldn't help me much if I then wanted to kennel them 3 years later, and they hadn't recently been exposed to the antigens while going about their business:)

I'd agree with Sarah re the KC, whether or not it is required by the kennels, since Poppy is an old lady!