PDA

View Full Version : We Were Drugged By Our Parents

Kingetter
27-May-06, 02:53
God bless parents who drugged us! The other day, someone at a store in our town read that a methamphetamine lab had been found in an old farmhouse in the adjoining county and he asked me a rhetorical question, ''Why didn't we have a drug problem when you and I were growing up?'' I replied, "I had a drug problem when I was young:
"I was drug to church on Sunday morning.
"I was drug to church for weddings and funerals. "I was drug to family reunions and community socials no matter the weather. "I was drug by my ears when I was disrespectful to adults.
"I was also drug to the woodshed when I disobeyed my parents, told a lie, brought home a bad report card, did not speak with respect, spoke ill of the teacher or the preacher, or if I didn't put forth my best effort in everything that was asked of me.
"I was drug to the kitchen sink to have my mouth washed out with soap, if I uttered a profane four-letter word.
"I was drug out to pull weeds in mom's garden and flower beds and cockleburs out of dad's fields".
"I was drug to the homes of family, friends, and neighbors to help out some poor soul who had no one to mow the yard, repair the clothesline, or chop some firewood; and, if my mother had ever known that I took a single dime as a tip for this kindness, she would have drug me back to the woodshed."
Those drugs are still in my veins; and they affect my behavior in everything I do, say, and think. They are stronger than cocaine, crack, or heroin; and, if today's children had this kind of drug problem, America would be a better place.

gleeber
27-May-06, 08:47
That type of traditional sentiment is as much responsible for the state of America, as any of the modern social changes, traditionalists refuse to adopt. It's the same in the UK. Traditionalists will point the finger of blame without accepting any responsibility for their own actions in our modern world.
I grew up in a very traditional atmosphere, drugged by the same drugs as you, and it very nearly killed me. It's all very well for some to say "it never did me any harm" but, that's a matter of opinion.
Traditional values were very much "social laws" If you happened to have been born outside the norm, then, you were prejudiced against. Traditionalists make very good bigots!
It's as much the responsibility of the traditionalists to adapt, as it is for the modernists to find a way through the present impasse.
Life's a process. Nothing stays the same.

golach
27-May-06, 09:24
That type of traditional sentiment is as much responsible for the state of America, as any of the modern social changes, traditionalists refuse to adopt. It's the same in the UK. Traditionalists will point the finger of blame without accepting any responsibility for their own actions in our modern world.
I grew up in a very traditional atmosphere, drugged by the same drugs as you, and it very nearly killed me. It's all very well for some to say "it never did me any harm" but, that's a matter of opinion.
Traditional values were very much "social laws" If you happened to have been born outside the norm, then, you were prejudiced against. Traditionalists make very good bigots!
It's as much the responsibility of the traditionalists to adapt, as it is for the modernists to find a way through the present impasse.
Life's a process. Nothing stays the same.
Traditionalist....Modernists....Yaaaaawn!!!!!!.... you are at it again Gleeber[disgust]

canuck
27-May-06, 10:40
That's it!! Wait until I am on my way out the door for my long weekend in New York City and start a conversation I want to engage in. Some of that drugging is not all bad gleeber.

Kingetter
27-May-06, 10:52
And it was posted as meant to be humourous - lol

golach
27-May-06, 10:59
And it was posted as meant to be humourous - lol
Kingetter, I think the Oracle o the Glebe lost its sense of humour when it became a modernist :lol:

Kingetter
27-May-06, 11:02
Whatever one of them is .....

brandy
27-May-06, 17:00
*laughs* hmmm wondering how being brought up in a loving caring but rule abiding house is a bad thing?
well if you asked me that 10 years ago.... it was moooooooooommmmmmmm...
you cant be serious!
i dont want to do that..
im an adult now..
*giggles* and she would reply with something about that if i was an adult i wouldnt be whining .. and do it because it was the "right thing" and one day i would understand... why we do things we dont want to!
also one of her fav. sayings is .. you are old enough to where you wants wont hurt you..... off to start a new thread.. *G*

Kingetter
27-May-06, 17:07
OK, and what's your attitude to your kids now, and what might it be to them when you're a grandmother?

brandy
27-May-06, 17:16
well.. my day did come and i do understand.. and i thank my mom for installing kindness and compassions in me.. along with my witchiness.. *winks*
i can be a complete witch when i want to be and loving and gentle and full of compasion as well..
its finding that balance that really counts..
there are times i want to tear my hair out with my kids..
and then i think back and realise that i need to lead by example and that my children will learn what i teach them..

Kingetter
27-May-06, 17:20
"Our elders" (parents/peer groups etc) give us the rules, but it takes maturity and experience to understand them. That fair comment?

brandy
27-May-06, 17:22
sounds good to me

Kingetter
27-May-06, 17:29
"and i thank my mom for installing kindness and compassions in me.. along with my witchiness.. *winks*"
And your Dad?

gleeber
28-May-06, 08:32
Traditionalist....Modernists....Yaaaaawn!!!!!!.... you are at it again Gleeber[disgust]
At what again matey?
Canuck, I'm surprised you had a need to tell me that all of our upbringings were not all bad. Do you really think I am that cynical?
Thread after thread is posted on Caithness.org, many of them complaining about the behaviour of others. There's some strong language used to illuminate the points of some of you. I can agree with a lot of what's said, but word's like scum, and beat them, and execute them make me feel uncomfortable.
I believe that nurture shapes our nature. Thugs and louts are not born that way. Neither are rapists and murders. We don't come into the world with ideas of Gods or racism or nationalism or suspicion for our neighbours. We are taught those things, and if we were to be truthful with ourselves and see the effects those things have on us, we might begin to see the source of the worlds troubles start with ourselves, and not with the little delinquent from down the street.
Heres a wee poem from a book on the subject Kingetter finds so humorous.

They muck you up, your mum and dad
They may not mean to but they do
They fill you with the faults they had
And add some extra just for you

But they were mucked up in their turn
By fools in old-style hats and coats
Who half the time were soppy-stern
And half at one anothers throats

Man hands on misery to man
It deepens like a coastal shelf
Get out as early as you can
And don't have any kids yourself

Philip Larkin

Kingetter
28-May-06, 09:02
"And it was posted as meant to be humourous - lol"
"Heres a wee poem from a book on the subject Kingetter finds so humorous."

Where do you get the word SO from?

golach
28-May-06, 12:17
At what again matey?
Canuck, I'm surprised you had a need to tell me that all of our upbringings were not all bad. Do you really think I am that cynical?
I believe that nurture shapes our nature. We are taught those things, Heres a wee poem from a book on the subject Kingetter finds so humorous.

They muck you up, your mum and dad
They may not mean to but they do
They fill you with the faults they had
And add some extra just for you

But they were mucked up in their turn
By fools in old-style hats and coats
Who half the time were soppy-stern
And half at one anothers throats

Man hands on misery to man
It deepens like a coastal shelf
Get out as early as you can
And don't have any kids yourself

Philip Larkin
Do you really need to ask "What again" Gleeber? Your are at your usual dismal best, turning a humourous posting into something only you see as sinister.
You say that being "drugged" up by your parents nearly killed you, I find that very hard to believe. My parents "drugged" me up also, and the difference between you and me is that maybe you turned down a wrong road somewhere in your life. I in my opinion did not, I am my own man in every descision or opinion that I hold dear, I agree my opinions are not yours and never will be. thanks to me having a brain and can think and make up my own opinions.
This does not make me falable nor does it make you infalable as you seem to thing you are, but I live in hope that the "Oracle o the Glebe" may find true enlightenment one day [lol]

gleeber
28-May-06, 18:03
I hate it when threads turn into name calling slagging matches and that's why I try to avoid them. I can ignore the recent slagging or I can challenge it in my own way. Either way it's awful stuff so I will try and be discreet and respectful. I'm disappointed (and intrigued) when Golach suggests I think I am infallable to his fallability. I dont think that at all, but am aware that it's probably something from his own history that gives him that opinion of me.

It doesnt need me to say that life is difficult without most of us knowing exactly what I mean. Some struggle more than others and very often the people who struggle most are the ones who show the most strength. Our lives are lived in our minds, and living in there, we can hide a multitude of sins, many of them even from ourselves.
There's nothing sinister in the idea that for over 100 years, scientific research has tracked the mental lives of adults all the way back to our earliest childhood and our attempts at coping with the world. Recent advances in neuroscience and the ability to track electro-chemical impulses, has confirmed that our environment more than our genes (nurture versus nature) will determine how we are going to turn out as adults. Some childhood truamas, such as abuse, will actually determine the physical size of some parts of the brain.
There can be little argument that environmental pressures will determine which God we worship, and the breaking of many social taboos (race, sexual orientation, etc) will determine how our community regards us.
Recent research suggests that we not only repeat the same patterns in our lives, patterns we developed as children, but that we also induce our environment to react the same way towards us as it did as children. How many wives have thought how much their husbands needed a mother rather than a wife? How many wives are happy to fulfill that role until the arguing starts?
This research is at the forefront of understanding criminality, and if the political will was there, and money was directed at early childhood experiences experiences, we maybe could begin to recognise monsters before they became destructive. Now, there's a novel idea.
Kingetter, forgive me if you think I have hijacked your thread. I dont think I have and I thought your original post was an excellent one but it must be obvious you touched a nerve. :lol:
With a bit of luck, this alternative idea to social responsibility may be explored by its merits rather than it's personalities.

Gleber2
28-May-06, 19:15
Golach brought up for the first part of his life by his Granny called Jessie in the Glebe, Gleeber brought up next door by his mother Jessie and myself brought up round the corner by my mother called Jessie. So many similarities to create absolute difference between the three G's. Golach, you are far from infallable and your prejudices and opinions were created by your early conditioning. There is no need to take the personal attack route to push your frequently outrageous ideas. Gleeber, I don't often agree with you but this time I am right with you. Your points are well presented and obviously sincere. Golach's opinions are always right because he believes them to be and are rarely backed up by logical debate and knowledge.
The original post was quite amusing no matter how you want to view it. So sad to see the descent into petty arguement because Gleeber saw a different side to the question and backed his opinions up with knowledge.

golach
28-May-06, 19:43
Golach brought up for the first part of his life by his Granny called Jessie in the Glebe, Gleeber brought up next door by his mother Jessie and myself brought up round the corner by my mother called Jessie. So many similarities to create absolute difference between the three G's. Golach, you are far from infallable and your prejudices and opinions were created by your early conditioning. There is no need to take the personal attack route to push your frequently outrageous ideas. Gleeber, I don't often agree with you but this time I am right with you. Your points are well presented and obviously sincere. Golach's opinions are always right because he believes them to be and are rarely backed up by logical debate and knowledge.
The original post was quite amusing no matter how you want to view it. So sad to see the descent into petty arguement because Gleeber saw a different side to the question and backed his opinions up with knowledge.
Just a wee correction Gleber2, and thanks I won my bet...with myself that I would get you back on the boards, [lol] Nice till see you back.
But I was brought up by my Mother and Father at Stainland Farm, and only visited the Glebe because Granny Jessie was my Mums mother,and to wait on my Mum meeting me from West Public School, I actually prefered visiting my other Granny at Scrabster, cos her oatcakes and crowdie was fantastic.
No way was I attacking Gleeber personally, over this thread, have a casual look in a lot of threads and you will see the "Oracle" having a wee dig or reference to me personally as he knows I am usually in disagreement with most of his dialogues. If Gleeber feels threatened in anyway by my postings I am truly sorry he feels that way, but I was "drugged up" in my early years in the same environment and culture as you both, but as I said earlier, we all went down different roads in life, I am happy with mine, I have been married to the same woman for 43 years, I am a proud father of two sons and an even prouder Grandad of four Grandaughters, I may just be a simple chiel with little education, and a rose tinted view on life, but I'm happy, I have lots of friends on and off CCWS, WHAT MORE can I want!!!!!!

Gleber2
28-May-06, 19:47
Ah what a lucky chiel ye are, old Godfather Golach!!!

golach
28-May-06, 19:49
Ah what a lucky chiel ye are, old Godfather Golach!!!
I have just doubled my bet [lol]

JAWS
28-May-06, 21:08
Now just which Bigot was it who tried to convince his Faithful Followers that "Religion is the Opiate of the Masses!" in order the better to have control over them.

Wasn't the same person, and is successor for a time, preserved and displayed so the "Faithful" could worship at the Shrines?

Roll up! Roll up! Worship at the Shrine of the Gods of a discredited Belief System.
It's a little more difficult to find the graves of the millions of Marters who died so that it might be kept alive longer.

Strange how the very people who try to destroy Religion simply try to replace it with Belief System of their own invention, usually with them at the centre.

JAWS
28-May-06, 21:17
P.S. that last post is very "Tongue in Cheek" so don't anybody take it too seriously.

But if anybody does, my sleeves are rolled up and I'm ready to fight! That's if you can run fast enough to catch up with me. ;)

Chobbersjnr
28-May-06, 21:39
P.S. that last post is very "Tongue in Cheek" so don't anybody take it too seriously.

But if anybody does, my sleeves are rolled up and I'm ready to fight! That's if you can run fast enough to catch up with me. ;)

If I could figure out your cut and thrust, I would parry and riposte but I must be getting too old for conflict. Lurking is much safer!!

Gleber2
28-May-06, 21:41
That last post was mine!!!!! Once more my son's increasing addiction to the Org has him logged in more often than I.

JAWS
28-May-06, 23:51
I hold strong Religious Beliefs. My firm belief is, "He that screams and runs away, lives to flee another day!"

I am confirmed in my belief that Cowards survive longer than Heros!

Chobbersjnr
29-May-06, 00:42
I hold strong Religious Beliefs. My firm belief is, "He that screams and runs away, lives to flee another day!"

I am confirmed in my belief that Cowards survive longer than Heros!

here boy have ye lost the plot or the thread, as it where

Kenn
29-May-06, 01:23
I too was drug to church but was fortunate in having a good education and to be around in the 60s when I learnt to question every thing.
As a result of both I no longer accept the mantras that were imposed on me but use my own intellect to judge for myself.
I have learnt that life is what you make of it, that people are the most complex,that nature has alot to teach us all,that we should not be judge and jury unless we possess the facts,that this is a wonderful world and we should respect it and each other whether we agree or not.
Most of all we should pass to the next generations a place that is safe, where we cherish the bio-diversity of this fantastic planet and we do our best to protect it from the ills that humanity would inflict on it.

Whitewater
29-May-06, 09:24
The three "Gs" are squabbling again. I neither agree of disagree with any of you. When we were all 'druged' up by our parents, it was done in what they thought was for our best interest. It may have been right, it may have been wrong. Does it matter?? They taught us right from wrong, good from evil, we grew up, got an education, were taught to think things out for ourselves, come to our own conclusions, form our own opinions, which is how it should be.

In forming these opinions we will always vary from our neighbour. Why? because we were all brought up with the same basic values, but each had a different interpretation installed into them by their parents, and our own various levels of education, as well as the subjects we studied all have effect on how we see others or view the world.

It is marvelous that we can all see the same thing, and have a different view point. What a dull and boring place this world would be if we all came to the same conclusions, had the same points of view, and just agreed with everybody else. There would be no fun, no arguments, no debate. How boring !!

Gleber2
29-May-06, 13:29
I'm not sqabbling with anyone. I had a dig at cousin Golach, but that is what he exists for, isn't it?
Our purpose is to learn from our parents. From what they told us and what they hid from us, from the good bits and the bad, from what they got right and what they got wrong. Maybe then we can teach our own bairns better.

golach
29-May-06, 14:54
I'm not sqabbling with anyone. I had a dig at cousin Golach, but that is what he exists for, isn't it?
Our purpose is to learn from our parents. From what they told us and what they hid from us, from the good bits and the bad, from what they got right and what they got wrong. Maybe then we can teach our own bairns better.
I'm not squabbling either, just stating to my owld mate Gleeber that I dont hold the same views as he does, thats not squabbling, thats is discussion, and if Gleber2 can score a couple of points off me from time to time, thats fair enough, it stops him from lurking out in the cowld ;)

Sporran
29-May-06, 17:30
I too was drug to church but was fortunate in having a good education and to be around in the 60s when I learnt to question every thing.
As a result of both I no longer accept the mantras that were imposed on me but use my own intellect to judge for myself.
I have learnt that life is what you make of it, that people are the most complex,that nature has alot to teach us all,that we should not be judge and jury unless we possess the facts,that this is a wonderful world and we should respect it and each other whether we agree or not.
Most of all we should pass to the next generations a place that is safe, where we cherish the bio-diversity of this fantastic planet and we do our best to protect it from the ills that humanity would inflict on it.

Well said, Lizz! That pretty much sums things up for me also.