PDA

View Full Version : Latest shop opening

bagpuss
26-May-06, 23:03
I notice that Edinburgh Woollen Mill opens this weekend with much less fanfare than its neighbouring stores. All those elderly ladies who have been furious at Mackays for turning into M&Co and aiming at the thirtysomething market will be chuffed- lots of elastic waisted slacks and poly-cotton t shirts for covering a multitude of tums!

Ann
27-May-06, 12:24
At least elderly ladies cover their tums; some of the young ones have much bigger tums but have them on display in all their glory! And good luck to them; shows they have no hang-ups about their bodies!

willowbankbear
27-May-06, 12:30
Are ye goin to EWM then Ann? I know for a fact I wont & neither`s anyone else my age so Id like to hear from an obviously elder age groups perspective, Is EWM a good thing or just passing the time?

connieb19
27-May-06, 12:46
Are ye goin to EWM then Ann? I know for a fact I wont & neither`s anyone else my age so Id like to hear from an obviously elder age groups perspective, Is EWM a good thing or just passing the time?I suppse they need something to attract the tourists to the Retail Park and thats not such a bad thing.

Ann
27-May-06, 12:52
Yes, I am of the older age group but I must admit that EWM is usually too old fashioned for me for most things. The only thing I remember buying was a raw silk shirt years ago and it was one of my favourites!

I do think they will appeal to quite a few of the older generation as they have good sales and warm jumpers etc. I think they also sell waxed jackets and hats which I like; lovely big pockets and pretty waterproof for taking my dog a walk on the beach in all weathers. (BTW, it's me who wears the jacket and hat, not the dog!)

I think they will appeal to some tourists as well which is a good thing. Just as we come home with souvenirs from abroad, so do our visitors like to have something typically Scottish and tartan.

willowbankbear
27-May-06, 13:06
Stopping in Wick!! Do they still do this? Obviously I hope so but for 1 shop? bit odd dont ye think.

I WANT NEXT[lol]

krieve
27-May-06, 13:09
Here is there website stoneroses
http://www.ewm.co.uk/Spring%202006/Spring%20Summer.htm

Ann
27-May-06, 13:23
I don't really know if the tourists stop in Wick as I live in Thurso! I hope you do get them as at least there are now more shops to keep them happy. At least in Thurso we have the surfing and there are stables etc., nearby so probably we do get more of them. And of course there is the link to the islands.

Mind you, people don't come to the North of Scotland for the shops. I suppose they are more apt to be here for the nature attractions and the peace and quiet.

Yes, I know Stone Roses; who wants peace and quiet! But we are not all active young things like yourself; some of us are active old(er) things and yes, I suppose not many come for the shopping.

I think it is good that the young people like the shops as it is a particular hobby for most of them but surely there is a limit. I would prefer to see money being spent on more things for young people to do. Here we have the bowling alley where people can meet up and have a laugh and the craic but Wick needs something more than just shops.

Maybe someone like Jocky at the Waterfront will open up a sports and leisure centre with space for food and passing the time with friends. After all, you young ones have supported him and his like for a long time now. Time for something new don't you think?

Ann
27-May-06, 13:30
And no tartan in sight! Thanks for the link Kreive; I think I will give them a visit after all!

neepnipper
27-May-06, 14:41
I've had a look around EWM today and there's lots of good stuff in there, not just for oldies, I would't say the stuff is anything teenagers would buy but I'm thirty something and having been in New Look and I think you really have to be a size 10 and below 25 years old to wear a lot of the stuff in there the EWM is a refreshing change and nearly all the clothes are in larger sizes too.

It's not a tourist EWM it's what they call a High Street shop, so no cuddly Nessies etc, the odd box of shortbread but no harm in that!

I'll definetly be going back!

Ann
27-May-06, 15:11
And I'll definitely being going too; thanks neepniper!

ŠAmethyst
27-May-06, 17:13
You guys need a Hawkshead in Caithness... seriously the amount of Caithnesians and Orcadians in the concessional store in 'Ness (which is only one of 4 in Scotland) is unbelievable.

rfr10
27-May-06, 18:50
I've applied for a job there and I'm waiting for a response from the EWM and if I do get the job, does that mean I will be the only boy working there because it's all ladies in the front page picture.

rainbow
27-May-06, 19:32
If as I suspect Robin your date of birth is 170491, then all the shops do not employ people until they are 16 and have a National Insurance Number - so you may have to wait until next year.
Do not await a reply as all the stores at the Retail Park appear to have failed to let people know if their application is unsuccessful, which is a real disappointment, and demoralising.

Venture
27-May-06, 20:15
Dont worry Robin I was in there today and the supervisor is male so you wont be alone should you get the job. Mind you I cant see how a young lad like yourself would want to work in this type of shop.

Fran
27-May-06, 22:46
i was in there today about 5pm and it was very busy, old and young, men and women (they have mens clothes too) were buying. I was pleasantly surprised, its not just for ol people and they have jewellery too.
There were some lovely t-shirts and blouses, and some sparkly ones too, all colours for all ages and up to size 24. some nice mix and match items. the trying-on rooms are large with a seat and plenty of hooks to hang things on.
They had sold out of some of the things i wanted in my size and I will definetly be back.
I think New look clothes for the "older"woman are too frumpy. http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/15/15_8_8.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNfox000)

Alice in Blunderland
28-May-06, 08:21
I also popped in for a look yesterday and found nothing wrong with the shop.Staff were friendly and there was a good selection of clothes,okay so my girls would be horrified if I bought them something from there but my mum would be delighted.I also noticed one or two items I could honestly say I would buy for myself........and Fran I noticed you wandering around I was the poor frazzled mother trying to stop her youngest kids peeking under the fitting room doors.Glad to see the shop open no matter what its selling its better than an empty unit.:D

dragonfly
28-May-06, 12:40
I was pleasantly suprised too, not that I found much that I would buy but it certainly wasn't all touristy clothing I imagined it to be - my mother thought it was great!

here's some pictures (http://www.caithness.org/fpb/may2006/photogallery/index.php?gallery=18) from caithness.org homepage

bagpuss
28-May-06, 21:56
And I was pleasantly surprised too- yes the granny stuff is there- at the back- but they had some nice beaded linen shirts- I got a lovely brown one- and found a long skirt to match in New Look. Check out the ethnic jewellery in EWM- not cheap- but some really nice pieces.