PDA

View Full Version : What a waste

Mall67
05-Apr-10, 21:23
Some perfectly good motors going to scrap, kinda brings a tear to your eye :(

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1263548/Now-did-say-left-car-The-28m-backlog-perfectly-driveable-vehicles-waiting-SCRAPPED.html

davie
05-Apr-10, 21:41
The article being in the Daily Wail maybe all is not as it seems.
There is a Merc in the bottom pic which I doubt is 10 years old and would certainly be worth more than the £2k scrappage deal.
Difficult to say with a lot of the other cars but I can not see one that looks particularly old or knackered.

upolian
05-Apr-10, 21:52
Wheres wally?

Bobinovich
05-Apr-10, 21:59
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/04/04/article-1263548-08E83D6E000005DC-498_964x481.jpg

Hmmm, now I see where Dounreay's traffic problems stem [lol]

Phill
05-Apr-10, 22:01
The piccy in the article makes me think of some spectacular Evel Knievel stunts that could be had!!

Goes to get moped and scaffolding plank.....

Invisible
05-Apr-10, 22:10
Yet the number of cars that Richard Hammond, Jeremy Clarkson and James May have destroyed increases

Dog-eared
05-Apr-10, 22:17
They'll go to China.

theone
06-Apr-10, 01:16
The only car I can see there that would be worth over £2000 is a Freelander and then you don't know what was wrong with it. The scrappage scheme was to stimulate sales of new (it turns out mainly foreign) cars. Nothing to do with getting old dangerous vehicles off the road. Most 2000 model cars around are perfectly fine. If you want to know the "green" thing about cars, they use more resources and pollute more being manufactured and scrapped then they will ever use or pollute in their lifetime. So the best thing is to keep old cars going as long as possible.

I agree.

If the scheme was supposed to stimulate the British economy it should have been restricted to British built cars.

If it allowed EU built cars, it should have been funded by the EU.

I don't see how paying someone £2000 to scrap their car and buy a japanese one has benefited anyone in Britain other than the buyer and the car salesman.

badger
06-Apr-10, 12:40
It's just another Govt. box-ticking scam - an "inershitive" they didn't think through properly like all the light bulbs that came through the post

Why have energy suppliers been banned from sending free energy saving light bulbs?

To help achieve their CERT savings, energy suppliers have sent out a staggering 182m energy saving light bulbs through direct mail-outs to their own customers, and through partnerships with newspapers and retailers.
But following concerns that consumers were not using the bulbs given to them – meaning the CO2 savings claimed by suppliers were possibly not being achieved – these free bulb giveaways and direct promotions were banned on 1 January 2010.
This could explain why Npower – for the fourth Which? energy satisfaction survey (http://www.which.co.uk/reviews-ns/energy-companies-rated/index.jsp) running, your least-favourite supplier – decided it would bombard its three million customers with an avalanche of 12m unsolicited bulbs in a mail-out that was completed by New Year’s Eve 2009.

from: http://www.which.co.uk/advice/energy-saving-light-bulbs---your-concerns/free-energy-saving-light-bulbs/index.jsp

Vistravi
06-Apr-10, 21:23
Another sign of our wasteful society :eek:

I had a discussion about how old is too old when it comes to buying a car with a friend recently. She thinks you should buy new if you can and buy second hand if the vehicle in question is less than 3 years old. As i think that there is nothing wrong with an older car as long as its running and been well cared for this did indeed spark a long discussion.

My step sister has just bought a new stlye fiesta and she can legebly get rid how ever she wants of it after three years when it will need a mot to stay on the road. She quite likes her wee car and is very chuffed with it and i doubt she'd scrap it. She'll want to sell it on if of course the poor thing surrives her heavy foot ;)