PDA

View Full Version : Question from a Scot in the USA

Joefitz
05-Apr-10, 16:09
I've been in the states now for 30 years, and was at a friend's house for Easter dinner. There were several people there, and the topic came up as follows: "Hey, Fitz, what do Scottish people think about us?"
Well, I don't know, as I've been away so long, so I'll put it to you.
Personally, i find them the same as anyplace else on earth, there's good, bad, indifferent. I might say there is a tremendous sense of national pride, not for the military, or anything, but just the same sense of pride many Scot's hold.
What do you think of them?
Hey, keep it reasonable, please??

teddybear1873
05-Apr-10, 16:20
I've been in the states now for 30 years, and was at a friend's house for Easter dinner. There were several people there, and the topic came up as follows: "Hey, Fitz, what do Scottish people think about us?"
Well, I don't know, as I've been away so long, so I'll put it to you.
Personally, i find them the same as anyplace else on earth, there's good, bad, indifferent. I might say there is a tremendous sense of national pride, not for the military, or anything, but just the same sense of pride many Scot's hold.
What do you think of them?
Hey, keep it reasonable, please??

Well in the deep south, they take religion and politics way over the top. I do find that some southeners are a bit backward, as in there not all there in the head.

The Drunken Duck
05-Apr-10, 16:39
I have a soft spot for the Yanks. Worked with them a few times and have visited the place on four occasions. Always made to feel welcome when I visited and I will happily go back. Great country, very few places in the world where people go so far out of their way to make you feel welcome. The Americans I have worked with were all solid guys and I dont think I ever had a bad word with them, although sometimes the sense of humour gets misunderstood. I think sometimes they just dont get our dry sarcastic side and the way Brits extract the urine about everything. Nice folks in my view.

But .. I have never forgiven them for once calling a dance "The Shag" though. That once got my hopes up when a seriously attractive American woman asked me for that very thing in a Brunswick nightclub. Thought I was on a promise for sure until one of our hosts explained to me she just wanted to boogie.

Sara Jevo
05-Apr-10, 16:59
Any American I've met has always been very nice and friendly. I've never met any of your countrymen who do stupid things to people in foreign countries, however.

wicker8
05-Apr-10, 18:31
hi i love the americans really nice people i have a friend in florida andshe has friends from different states made me feel very welcome

Ricanna
05-Apr-10, 18:58
I like the Yanks also--very friendly but I find they spoil the golf if commentating as they can't seem to shut up! No offence you understand. Same with the horse racing though strangely I like to listen to them in the showjumping commentary.

brandy
05-Apr-10, 20:03
Well in the deep south, they take religion and politics way over the top. I do find that some southeners are a bit backward, as in there not all there in the head.

geee thanks that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside..it must be because of all the inbreeding and ignorance that abounds back home..but since im so backwards and bible thumping in my free time, obviously i wont take offence.. (rolls eyes) to tell you the truth i could say the same thing about wickers and other caithness people.. about being backwards and not right in the head.
i could go on to say, the lack of education, ability to actually speak properly, inability to work, ability to stay wiped out on drugs and complete disrespect for others is part of the backbone of wick. however there are many people here that i like and respect, and i would not group everyone together as a whole.. but again that is just my backwards breeding coming out.. ayuck..

bettedaviseyes
05-Apr-10, 20:34
well personally i love the yanks:D i asked my pal what she thought well in a nut shell i wont repeat on here what she said:lol:

Bruce_H
06-Apr-10, 23:46
Wow, thanks for the kind words - as a Yank I have to say we love you folks right back. Most people in the US, if they encounter someone from the UK, is going to be thrilled to meet them.

One the reverse, every time I am in Scotland, I find nothing but wonderful people.

Bruce H

RecQuery
07-Apr-10, 07:50
I actually quite like the few guys I know from the south of the USA. Anyway, like you said its never a good idea to generalise, every nationality and group has good, bad and average.

I'm quite happy to list perceived archetypes and stereotypes if they want that.

horseman
07-Apr-10, 08:17
I love them to bits-eldest son is married there,g/daughter is married to a baptist preacher in the mountains of tennese (sp) an you want to try that out for laughs--I absolutely adore them. There is a way of life out there that is hardly describle- less you bin there. Better shut up now when I am ahead.

John Little
07-Apr-10, 11:24
My american friends are lovely - but they hate some people called 'Republicans'. Personally I am not aware of ever meeting such but must be guided by their first hand knowledge...

Blarney
08-Apr-10, 00:08
geee thanks that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside..it must be because of all the inbreeding and ignorance that abounds back home..but since im so backwards and bible thumping in my free time, obviously i wont take offence.. (rolls eyes) to tell you the truth i could say the same thing about wickers and other caithness people.. about being backwards and not right in the head.
i could go on to say, the lack of education, ability to actually speak properly, inability to work, ability to stay wiped out on drugs and complete disrespect for others is part of the backbone of wick. however there are many people here that i like and respect, and i would not group everyone together as a whole.. but again that is just my backwards breeding coming out.. ayuck..
You must be mixing with the wrong crowd Brandy if that sums up your experience of Wickers. I don't doubt that there are quite a few wastrels in the town but you could say that about any town in Britain surely. Personally, I can't understand why you still live here - I would move if I felt so negatively about a place. However, I wouldn't even attempt to generalise about Americans as some I have come across are genuinely nice people with excellent manners and values whilst others are loud mouthed and arrogant with little or no redeeming attributes. It really doesn't matter where you are talking about as there are good and bad in all races and countries.

brandy
08-Apr-10, 07:55
hun, its called sarcasm. and i also did write that i had made a lot of friends and that there are lots of lovley people in wick. however the rest is true as well. do i hang out with them...(the bad element) nope but you see them everyday in the streets. why do i still live here if i would prefer to live back home? lets see.. lack of choice?
would i prefer to be surrounded by my family and loved ones or just be here where its just my husband and kids with no other family... hmmm thats a hard one... (rolls eyes)
i dont appreciate being called a backwards bible thumping hillbilly, just as im sure most wickers dont like being called tinks.

riggerboy
08-Apr-10, 09:02

are we talking about southeners from the states or the folks south of scotland, i think they might be related coz the ones south of us are off their heads aswell

northener
08-Apr-10, 09:10
Almost word for word what DD said. They're a bit OTT with their 'patriotism' for my tastes, mind and their foreign policy is dodgy to say the least.

Very friendly, will go out of their way to help you, easy to wind up (although they are sussing out 'British' humour now) and occasionally with some bizarre world views.

Bit like being here, really.

ducati
08-Apr-10, 09:52
Almost word for word what DD said. They're a bit OTT with their 'patriotism' for my tastes, mind and their foreign policy is dodgy to say the least.

Very friendly, will go out of their way to help you, easy to wind up (although they are sussing out 'British' humour now) and occasionally with some bizarre world views.

Bit like being here, really.

I like the way they go touring, showing a healthy interest in the world and all it's wonders.
And they certainly take the Boy Scout code to heart. You want to see the amount of kit they take with them :eek:

Blarney
08-Apr-10, 19:57
hun, its called sarcasm. and i also did write that i had made a lot of friends and that there are lots of lovley people in wick. however the rest is true as well. do i hang out with them...(the bad element) nope but you see them everyday in the streets. why do i still live here if i would prefer to live back home? lets see.. lack of choice?
would i prefer to be surrounded by my family and loved ones or just be here where its just my husband and kids with no other family... hmmm thats a hard one... (rolls eyes)
i dont appreciate being called a backwards bible thumping hillbilly, just as im sure most wickers dont like being called tinks.
You take umbrage when someone suggests that people from a certain area of the states are perhaps a bit lacking in the common sense department (which, as I said previously, one can't generalise on) so in retaliation at that ONE post (nb. from someone in South Carolina!) you proceed to slag off the population of the town that has been good enough to allow you to live there, employ you and educate your children. I feel insulted on behalf of the warmhearted people of Wick who do not deserve your name-calling. The first sentence of your post was indeed sarcasm, Hun... but the rest was pure vitriol.

dollycat
08-Apr-10, 21:57
My dad has a sister living in virginia beach usa. She married a Texan and they have 2 great daughters. Wevisit them and other states often and return every time amazed by the manners and politeness shown by almost all of them. We love the US and find the people very, very nice:) Maybe its all that lovely sunshine that makes them so relaxed!!

Boozeburglar
09-Apr-10, 00:55
You take umbrage when someone suggests that people from a certain area of the states are perhaps a bit lacking in the common sense department (which, as I said previously, one can't generalise on) so in retaliation at that ONE post (nb. from someone in South Carolina!) you proceed to slag off the population of the town that has been good enough to allow you to live there, employ you and educate your children. I feel insulted on behalf of the warmhearted people of Wick who do not deserve your name-calling. The first sentence of your post was indeed sarcasm, Hun... but the rest was pure vitriol.

Nah, I think she was bang on and justified.

Her tongue was in her cheek.

:)

brandy
09-Apr-10, 09:03
omg rotflmao..so you are saying that the good people of wick has ALLOWED me to live here? seriously?! should i be in fear of my life now? am i going to be driven out now with pitchfork and torch that i have dared to voice an opinion? oh no... im sooooo sorry i meant to say that wick is all roses and sunshine.. please forgive me.. (again HUGE SARCASM) really get off your soap box.
hun your remarks do not bother me in the least in fact i found that last one hillarious! you have caught me in a major mood over the past couple days.. but honestly, im not a hateful person and hardly ever say nasty things... but wow ... youve just put me into a great mood again.. bless!
i retailated over something nasty someone else said.. was it chidish yes, was it the truth ? yes. do i stand by it yes.
do i hate wick? no is everyone here a druggie lazy good for nothing? No
but for the population there is a good number of em!
do i group everyone in to that? no way.. like ive said ive made a lot of friends..
been here for 10 years now.. very seriously doubt i will be going anywhere as much as you may wish otherwise.
sorry if i have morally offended you. .but man i must admit it does feel a little good to be on this side of the fence.. over the past several years here .. and i do mean on the org.. i have been bashed several times for my beliefs and thoughts.. and never once did i shove it down someones throat, or tell them that what they belived was wrong.. well i dont think i did.. i may have but just dont remember it.. anyhoo...
this poor ole country girl has thought too much and her poor backwards brain cant handle any more..
tata

ohh just wondering are you offended on behalf of my husband as well? hes a wicker and hes married to me * G*

Blarney
10-Apr-10, 00:08
omg rotflmao..so you are saying that the good people of wick has ALLOWED me to live here? seriously?! should i be in fear of my life now? am i going to be driven out now with pitchfork and torch that i have dared to voice an opinion? Get real .... oh no... im sooooo sorry i meant to say that wick is all roses and sunshine......Nobody said Wick was perfect - you were slagging it off because you were annoyed with someone else who had no connection with the place. please forgive me.. (again HUGE SARCASM) really get off your soap box.
hun your remarks do not bother me in the least in fact i found that last one hillarious! you have caught me in a major mood over the past couple days..Hmm.. just as I thought ...but honestly, im not a hateful person and hardly ever say nasty things !?!? REALLY?.. but wow ... youve just put me into a great mood again.. bless!
i retailated over something nasty someone else said.. was it chidish yes, was it the truth ? yes. do i stand by it yes.
do i hate wick? no is everyone here a druggie lazy good for nothing? No
but for the population there is a good number of em!
do i group everyone in to that? no way.. like ive said ive made a lot of friends..
been here for 10 years now.. very seriously doubt i will be going anywhere as much as you may wish otherwise. ..That's a bit paranoid; anyone who respects Caithness and its people is welcome to live here..
sorry if i have morally offended you. .but man i must admit it does feel a little good to be on this side of the fence.. over the past several years here .. and i do mean on the org.. i have been bashed several times for my beliefs and thoughts.. and never once did i shove it down someones throat, or tell them that what they belived was wrong.. well i dont think i did.. i may have but just dont remember it.. anyhoo...
this poor ole country girl has thought too much and her poor backwards brain cant handle any more.. ..You hicks from the sticks are all the same..;)
tata

ohh just wondering are you offended on behalf of my husband as well? hes a wicker and hes married to me * G*

Noooo, poor guy's got enough to contend with but he's brought it all on himself [lol] Nevertheless, Caithness accepts your apology and hopes that you won't be so hasty in biting the hand that feeds you in future......and remember it's only Wickers who can get away with griping about Wickers.

brandy
10-Apr-10, 09:34
ahhhh but im a wicker by marrige so that must count surley! *G*

ohhh the guy in sc.. is just living there hes a transplant.. i think hes a thursa loon..

and yup, im a hick.. proud to be one *giggles* my mama beat it into me.. (kidding) it was my granny that beat me.. all 4'9 of her and her broom..
she had the three H's you know.. Heathern, Heffer, and Hussy.. which she liked to use regular like to make sure i wouldnt forget!