PDA

View Full Version : ITV1 HD ? No not for us Scots

Kodiak
05-Apr-10, 14:47
I see that ITV1 has started a HD Channel, that is for England and Wales but not for us here in Scotland.

Something else we are being deprived of just because we live in Scotland.

telfordstar
05-Apr-10, 15:20
Think you can manually look for it if you have sky hd. Im going to try and see if i can do it later. With help from google!

Sara Jevo
05-Apr-10, 16:08
I think STV is in a bit of a pickle money-wise with ITV at the moment. Not sure if this has anything to do with the HD choice or not, but I believe ITV has stopped supplying STV some programmes because they weren't paying the bills.

Cattach
05-Apr-10, 16:13
Think you can manually look for it if you have sky hd. Im going to try and see if i can do it later. With help from google!

Thinks you will beable to get in through Sky or Free Sat once the channel is sorted out. I watch ots of ITV programmes now through either Sky or my Freesat setup by choosing ITV London.

telfordstar
05-Apr-10, 20:49
Thinks you will beable to get in through Sky or Free Sat once the channel is sorted out. I watch ots of ITV programmes now through either Sky or my Freesat setup by choosing ITV London.

Yeah hubby has watched itv London for football sometimes. I remember not that long ago in the paper that stv wernt showing the new series of Doc Martin ( they couldnt afford it) but you could tune in to itv london to watch it.

gillsbay
05-Apr-10, 23:38
you can add it manually if you are on freesat or if you give a borders postcode (that way you can still get stv, but not the Grampian news), I believe it is still available as red button on itv London (channel 977? I think). I also believe that the reason we can't get it on 119 is that stv are due to launch their own HD channel in the coming months.

theone
06-Apr-10, 01:04
I see that ITV1 has started a HD Channel, that is for England and Wales but not for us here in Scotland.

You are being deprived of this service because the revenue Scotland creates does not justify it's existance.

STV were not showing big films, football matches and even 'The Bill' recently because they can not afford to pay for them.

Being a commercial station, they have to make commercial decisions based on revenue and cost. Scotland is a little fish in a big pond.

All those with delusions of the dream that is independence should take note.

carrepairman
06-Apr-10, 07:12
http://www.avforums.com/forums/sky-hd/1112934-itvhd-how-whats.html

kmahon2001
06-Apr-10, 10:30

It's hardly a matter of being deprived. Saying we are being deprived makes it sound like someone is deliberately withholding something from us. Well I'm afraid this is something we can't blame ITV for. They are not withholding their HD channel from the Scots, it's we up here who decided not to have ITV, we wanted our own channel, and that's what we got.

The rest of Great Britain is satisfied with watching their various regional versions of ITV, but up here we had to have our own STV. STV is run as a separate entity to ITV and so if ITV produce an HD channel and STV either can't or won't, then we are simply paying the price for wanting something specifically Scottish rather than British.

STV are a much smaller organisation than ITV, as they only cater for a population of 5 million as opposed to the 50-odd million in England and Wales. STV simply doesn't have the funds available to it to allow it to provide all the "goodies" that ITV can provide.

The reality is that the entire population of Scotland (5.1 million) is only about two thirds the size of the population of inner London (currently standing at around 8 million). If you combined the population of Scotland and Wales, there would still only be roughly the same number of people as the population of inner and outer London (currently around 14 million). There are so many more English people in the UK than Scots, Welsh or Northern Irish, so England is where all the big advertising revenues are. STV cannot make even a small fraction of the revenue that ITV can, and if ITV is already in financial trouble, how much more trouble must STV be in with its much smaller audience figures. This is what happens with commercially run enterprises - advertisers and their money will go where the audience numbers are.

ducati
06-Apr-10, 11:18
I for one won't be buying HD.

I keep seeing advertisements on my television showing me how much better HD is, and it is exactly the same!!

What a rip off :eek:

jimbews
06-Apr-10, 12:01
I keep seeing advertisements on my television showing me how much better HD is, and it is exactly the same!!

Well, if you are watching these adverts on a standard definition TV it WILL be the same.

I refuse to part with cash to the Murdoch empire, but on Freesat BBC HD can be much better than its normal equivalent (although there has been some criticism that the standards are starting to drop).

Even on Freesat I can tell the improvement with some standard definition content compared with terrestrial TV. I'm not sure if that is because the Freesat receiver is better at upscaling the received picture to the TV's resolution, or if it is because the terrestrial TV signal has a higher signal compression.

Cattach
06-Apr-10, 12:19
you can add it manually if you are on freesat or if you give a borders postcode (that way you can still get stv, but not the Grampian news), I believe it is still available as red button on itv London (channel 977? I think). I also believe that the reason we can't get it on 119 is that stv are due to launch their own HD channel in the coming months.

You can certainly get both 'grampian STV' and 'Borders STV' TV on Freesat. Just different channels you have to find anf put in favourites.

telfordstar
06-Apr-10, 12:19
I have Sky HD and i notice a very big difference im all programes but more in sport but even more in older films in HD the picture is so much better but dont get me started on disney films in HD its fantastic!

Moonboots
07-Apr-10, 13:43
ITV HD is available to all sky customers.. You have to add the channel manually though for in Scotland.

STV HD is currently being produced and is meant to start up in June if the funding is available as we all know STV are struggling.

Kodiak
07-Apr-10, 15:21
ITV HD is available to all sky customers.. You have to add the channel manually though for in Scotland.

STV HD is currently being produced and is meant to start up in June if the funding is available as we all know STV are struggling.

Can you advise us on how to add ITV 1 HD Manually to our HD Box ? If you could it would be appreciated.

Kodiak
07-Apr-10, 15:30
It's hardly a matter of being deprived. Saying we are being deprived makes it sound like someone is deliberately withholding something from us. Well I'm afraid this is something we can't blame ITV for. They are not withholding their HD channel from the Scots, it's we up here who decided not to have ITV, we wanted our own channel, and that's what we got.

Incorrect, I do not know where you get the Idea that we wanted our own channel. Who is we? Who was ever asked, I wasn't I do NOT know of anyone who was asked.

STV did this all on their own and we, the viewers had no choice at all. So yes STV are deliberately holding back several things. Like programmes they will not buy in and now HD TV.

Actually ITV is holding back HD TV from Scotland. You gat get ITV London perfectly on SKY and there is no reason why ITV London HD could not also have been added as well, but they chose not to do so. So I do believe that deprived is the correct word.

Kodiak
07-Apr-10, 17:36
I have found out how to access ITV1 HD and it works fine, just do this :-

Press services

Then scroll along to add Channels

Then put in this info
H,
5/6.

Then Press yellow Button to search

It will search and then it will give you a window with several Channels including ITV1 HD choose the channel/s you want, Highlight the channel and press yellow button to select, then when finished press select.

To access channel you do this

Press Services, Press Select, Press 5, Press Select, Pick the channel you want then press Select.

You should then have ITV1 HD but you can not Pause or record and you can only watch Live.

theone
07-Apr-10, 19:15
Thanks Kodiak, that worked a treat.

Looking forward to man u munich now....

Moonboots
07-Apr-10, 23:59
You should then have ITV1 HD but you can not Pause or record and you can only watch Live.[/FONT][/B]

Yea thats right.. You will not be able to record or use the pause function this is because your card will not recognise it as a geographical channel. All channels added through the Add channels function will not record.

Sorry Kodiak i didnt reply sooner but you have the info lol..