PDA

View Full Version : Dolphins Chanonry Point, Fortrose.

Seabird
04-Apr-10, 22:43
Got there at low tide Saturday morning it was misty raining and looked bleak. After 20 minutes 2 dolphins arrived then people started to arrive then more and more dolphins.
First the dolphins fed on salmon then they played. There were dolphins about when i left at 2pm. There was some leaping (breaching) but i was unable to get any on camera.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e307/seabird72/Cetaceans/BND143-4-10.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e307/seabird72/Cetaceans/BND163-4-10.jpg

Colin
Caithness sea watching

buggyracer
07-Apr-10, 09:41
superb!! have you anymore? :)

Seabird
07-Apr-10, 21:06
superb!! have you anymore? :)

I took 128 pics while there, of those i think i kept 18 and binned the rest.
The two shown were the best the rest are just fins.
The 2 dolphins shown are Kesslet and her calf Charlie, Kesslet is the one with head out of water.
Chanonry Point is the best place in Europe for seeing Bottlenose Dolphins in the wild and they do come within 20feet of the shore.
Need to be there for the low tide.

See my friend Charlie Phillips blog on the WDCS web site

Colin

Kenn
07-Apr-10, 22:02
Great pics Seabird, shame it was n't Rainbow, but I hope to get there to see her this summer.

Seabird
08-Apr-10, 20:02
Watch Charlies blog, if he reports a sighting of Rainbow then that will be the best time to go. During the Summer June July they get large numbers at the point so thats probably the period when your adopted dolphin may turn up.
And remember Low tide is the key.

Colin
www.caithness-sea-watching.co.uk

Gronnuck
08-Apr-10, 20:25
Fantastic pictures as ever. Many thanks for sharing Colin

Rictina
08-Apr-10, 20:43
Fabulous shots, I love to see the Dolphins at Chanonry Point.

Loraine
10-Apr-10, 17:44
I took a dolphin cruise from Cromarty several years back, and it was fantastic!! There were between 15 and 20 dolphins swimming on either side of the boat, breaching, and playing about. At first we saw them from a distance chasing and feeding on the salmon, then we caught up with them and they stayed with us. Very friendly, sociable animals - and very cute too!! :D