PDA

View Full Version : what kind of underlay is best

suzy
04-Apr-10, 14:44
Hi everyone, Needing quite a lot of underlay,some of the floors are uneven and chipped, what is the best and thickest unerlay you can recommend??
Thanks Suzy

Bill Fernie
05-Apr-10, 15:33
I am no expert on this but my father was an uphosterer and carpet fitter. He always said you should buy the best underlay you could afford. This applies especially to more expensive carpets that you want to last a long time as good underlay extends the life of your carpets as well as making them feel better to walk on. Good underlay along with carpets also helps with insulation of your house.

Tredair is one of the well known brands my father used to recommend and you can see price for comparison on various web sites..Here is one http://www.tradepriced.co.uk/carpet_underlay.htmls

If using a local fitter to lay your carpets ask their advice.

fender
05-Apr-10, 16:39
I quite like the blue coloured stuff but then again I also like the green coloured stuff. But which is best? Only one way to find out --------- FIGHT!

Sorry could not resist this. (with apologies to HH)

davie
05-Apr-10, 17:28
If the floor is really bad it might be worth laying some 3/16" (or thinner) plywood on top. Once that is well pinned down you will get away with a thinner and probably cheaper underfelt