PDA

View Full Version : cness.co.uk

kmahon2001
04-Apr-10, 12:00
This started out as a really promising idea, and the website looks really professional. Apparently there are at least 250 members, so how come no one is selling anything on there? It seems to have completely died a death.

Could it be that people would rather advertise on the org than on cness.co.uk? Is it because it's free to advertise on the org whereas the auction site charges a small selling fee (a percentage of which goes to SSPCA Balmore)?

Surely the auction site is a great place to sell and buy second hand items or to start a small business selling goods and/or services, or even for crafters to sell items that they have made etc - in other words a local version of Ebay, rather than an internet version of the classified ads in a newspaper (which is what the org's listings really are).

Shouldn't we really try to support our local businesses? How long is it since any of the 250+ members even visited the site?

I buy from Ebay all the time - because I tend to buy vintage/second hand/reclaimed items, as opposed to modern day disposable plastic rubbish, and would welcome the opportunity to buy such things more locally. I must admit, I am as guilty as everyone else of not listing anything for sale on cness.co.uk, but then again I have never sold anything through Ebay either. I'm a buyer, not a seller. However, I would be willing to see if I can dig out some items to list, just to try and get some action going on cness.

fred
04-Apr-10, 12:43
This started out as a really promising idea, and the website looks really professional. Apparently there are at least 250 members, so how come no one is selling anything on there? It seems to have completely died a death.

Could it be that people would rather advertise on the org than on cness.co.uk? Is it because it's free to advertise on the org whereas the auction site charges a small selling fee (a percentage of which goes to SSPCA Balmore)?

Surely the auction site is a great place to sell and buy second hand items or to start a small business selling goods and/or services, or even for crafters to sell items that they have made etc - in other words a local version of Ebay, rather than an internet version of the classified ads in a newspaper (which is what the org's listings really are).

Shouldn't we really try to support our local businesses? How long is it since any of the 250+ members even visited the site?

I buy from Ebay all the time - because I tend to buy vintage/second hand/reclaimed items, as opposed to modern day disposable plastic rubbish, and would welcome the opportunity to buy such things more locally. I must admit, I am as guilty as everyone else of not listing anything for sale on cness.co.uk, but then again I have never sold anything through Ebay either. I'm a buyer, not a seller. However, I would be willing to see if I can dig out some items to list, just to try and get some action going on cness.

People won't start buying until there are enough sellers to provide the choice of goods and people won't start selling till there are enough buyers to provide some competition.

A site like that needs a big send off, free listing for the first week or so and loads of advertising. Get it past a certain point and it will take off but it never reached that point.

EDDIE
04-Apr-10, 12:44

If your selling something there is not much point puting it on a website were there 250 people max were as on ebay there is millions?
And if you was wanting to sell or buy something locally of the internet what better place than the caithness org look at the amount of hits it gets every month?
Going by the name cness.co.uk its not a name you would regonise with an auction site if you were googling.
If i was cness.co.uk i wouldnt charge for selling or buying until the website was welll regonised and used in the area.

fred
04-Apr-10, 12:51
Going by the name cness.co.uk its not a name you would regonise with an auction site if you were googling.

Something like canesbay.co.uk would have a ring to it.

locini
04-Apr-10, 13:04
The concept of his site is good

However from a selling point of view the site is not easy to use.

We currently sell over 130 different items on EBay, and i would love to advertise these listings on cness.co.uk as am not allowed to on this site, however;

The amount of work involved in creating 130 listing descriptions, uploading photo's etc etc from scratch would take up way too much time for the sales generated from approx 300 users!

I have indicated to Mathew the site owner twice now that if he installed an interface such as turbo lister which would help sellers who already use the likes of EBay he would probably find people already selling online would be more inclined to use his site more readily.

As of yet i have had no response though???

Matthew
10-May-10, 17:38
Hi guys,

I know it has been quite a while since anything has been done to the site... However I have not given up on it. I have just been having trouble obtaining the capital needed to make some final modifications to the site. There are still a few bugs here and there which I'm aware of and I am still looking into getting a 'TurboLister' worked out. I will then need to do a lot of advertising to get people using it... As a 19 year old working in Tesco part time - getting the money to do this isn't easy. It also doesn't help that my flat was burgled earlier this year :(

But I just want to say that I have not given up on this project, I am hoping to have another shot at getting it going in the next few months. It's nice to know that people have not forgotten about the site :)

Edit:

If i was cness.co.uk i wouldnt charge for selling or buying until the website was welll regonised and used in the area.

I don't think the name matters really since if you type in google "Caithness Auction" for example, Cness.co.uk is the top result and it says next to it "Caithness Internet Auctions" - I think that shows well enough that it is an auction site. Also, Cness.co.uk will not ever charge for listing, but theres a smal charge if items are sold. So you can basically list as much as you want for free. Do you think that is not enticing enough?

ducati
10-May-10, 18:04
Hats off to you for your sticktoitivness. Free listing is a great offer. All the best to a local visionary.

Wish you all the best with the site :cool:

pegasus
10-May-10, 18:43
Matthew your inbox is full! :roll:

deagon
11-May-10, 16:33
Hi guys,

I know it has been quite a while since anything has been done to the site... However I have not given up on it. I have just been having trouble obtaining the capital needed to make some final modifications to the site. There are still a few bugs here and there which I'm aware of and I am still looking into getting a 'TurboLister' worked out. I will then need to do a lot of advertising to get people using it... As a 19 year old working in Tesco part time - getting the money to do this isn't easy. It also doesn't help that my flat was burgled earlier this year :(

But I just want to say that I have not given up on this project, I am hoping to have another shot at getting it going in the next few months. It's nice to know that people have not forgotten about the site :)

Edit:

I don't think the name matters really since if you type in google "Caithness Auction" for example, Cness.co.uk is the top result and it says next to it "Caithness Internet Auctions" - I think that shows well enough that it is an auction site. Also, Cness.co.uk will not ever charge for listing, but theres a smal charge if items are sold. So you can basically list as much as you want for free. Do you think that is not enticing enough?

i agree with everyone else, cness is a great concept, and could be a valued site.

i know finance can be a problem particularly for someone so young, but i'm confident you will succeed in the long run, given the obvious drive and programming ability you have shown.

good luck with it matthew, i shall be waiting for the Phoenix to emerge from the ashes :)

pegasus
12-May-10, 01:29
i agree with everyone else, cness is a great concept, and could be a valued site. :)

I bet there are hundreds of potential customers out there! It's a great idea and I wish you every success in getting it up and running. The young lads entrepreneurial skills shows initiative.

horseman
12-May-10, 06:47
I bet there are hundreds of potential customers out there! It's a great idea and I wish you every success in getting it up and running. The young lads entrepreneurial skills shows initiative.

I'am with that, an well done to you Matthew for your get up an go ness.:)
An loads of knickers to the detractors, the Lord loves a tryer-.
You aint chosen an eaay path- but may your steps be large.:)

adi1
12-May-10, 08:04
Yes hats off to Matthew for showing some determination and thought into the project.
But as for a auction site i have my doubt's it will ever take off, there are only approx.25000 residents in Caithness so not much competition there. Having sold things on Ebay to 10's of millions of members it is very hard to obtain a good price on a auction listing.Take away the 10% selling fee 4% paypal fee and the listing fee there is very little profit to be had,thats why we are now seeing more buy it now listings rather than auction listings because the seller as worked out their profit margin.So if it come's down to selling for a fixed price in Caithness and you want to advertise it for free with no added fee's where better than the Org?

ShelleyCowie
12-May-10, 08:13
Yes hats off to Matthew for showing some determination and thought into the project.
But as for a auction site i have my doubt's it will ever take off, there are only approx.25000 residents in Caithness so not much competition there. Having sold things on Ebay to 10's of millions of members it is very hard to obtain a good price on a auction listing.Take away the 10% selling fee 4% paypal fee and the listing fee there is very little profit to be had,thats why we are now seeing more buy it now listings rather than auction listings because the seller as worked out their profit margin.So if it come's down to selling for a fixed price in Caithness and you want to advertise it for free with no added fee's where better than the Org?

I think one of the main points of it is that in the Highlands we pay through the roof for postage. You can buy something, then they tell you because you are in the Highlands it will cost you extra.

But it there were a site within Caithness then the postage wouldnt be a problem.

Yes i definetely see your point about advertising fee's and things. It doesnt really give much profit but sometimes its not about the profit.

Can i sell my OH on the site? [lol]

adi1
12-May-10, 08:20
The only time you are charged extra in the Highlands if the item as to come via courier or parcel force the royal mail do not charge any extra and provide a brilliant fast efficient service.

Matthew
13-May-10, 16:23
Hats off to you for your sticktoitivness. Free listing is a great offer. All the best to a local visionary.

Wish you all the best with the site

Thanks Ducati!

Matthew your inbox is full!

Fixed!

i agree with everyone else, cness is a great concept, and could be a valued site.

i know finance can be a problem particularly for someone so young, but i'm confident you will succeed in the long run, given the obvious drive and programming ability you have shown.

good luck with it matthew, i shall be waiting for the Phoenix to emerge from the ashes

:D Thanks Deagon!

Thanks Pegasus. I reckon there are thousands of people that would use the site considering it managed to get over 250 registered users pretty much just by word of mouth... :o

I'am with that, an well done to you Matthew for your get up an go ness.
An loads of knickers to the detractors, the Lord loves a tryer-.
You aint chosen an eaay path- but may your steps be large.

Thanks Horseman :)

Thanks Adi1...

Rememeber that not everyone uses auctions to 'make profit' though. Lots of people just have 'junk' they want to get rid of. The aim of Cness.co.uk is to provide a service to the people of Caithness so they can buy/sell within the county.

Cness.co.uk's advantages over ebay include:

The ability to buy/sell large items such as furniture, white goods, vehicles etc... as the site is for the local area and people have a higher chance of being able to pick up the item or get it delivered by the seller.
Even small items could be delivered/picked up which could save on a bit of postage.
Every time you sell something, selected local charities are donated a percentage of the selling costs.
Cheaper than eBay in all aspects.

I think one of the main points of it is that in the Highlands we pay through the roof for postage. You can buy something, then they tell you because you are in the Highlands it will cost you extra.

But it there were a site within Caithness then the postage wouldnt be a problem.

Yes i definetely see your point about advertising fee's and things. It doesnt really give much profit but sometimes its not about the profit.

Can i sell my OH on the site?

Advertising would be to create a large client base. Without an extensive amount of users the site won't do very well at all. So I would need to get as many people as possible to actively use the site which will in turn help keep the site going and going and going.

And lol @ selling your OH.

The only time you are charged extra in the Highlands if the item as to come via courier or parcel force the royal mail do not charge any extra and provide a brilliant fast efficient service.

True but lots of people on ebay don't know this and some even do it to try and scam us highlanders.

pegasus
13-May-10, 17:45
True but lots of people on ebay don't know this and some even do it to try and scam us highlanders.

Scammers, gotta keep em in their place! If possible fox em, don't say the highlands use Scotland instead. This should help to avoid paying extra rip off, postal charges. Crumbs, you'd think we all lived on the moon! :mad: