PDA

View Full Version : age in relationships

annemarie482
03-Apr-10, 21:57
following the dating in caithness thread......

how important is age difference?
how much is too much?
is it better that the man is older than the woman or vice versa?
sugar daddy - toyboy?
have you been judged for your choice?
funny looks?
are there times in your relationship where the gap shows?

whats your age gap stories

Sara Jevo
03-Apr-10, 22:00
I'm seeing a guy at the moment who is 20 years older than me.

What brings people together is a common interest or shared like or whatever. I've never really thought of someone's age as being a factor.

ShelleyCowie
03-Apr-10, 22:01
Iv never had a problem with age differences.

When i started seeing my OH a few people had approached me and said "he is a little old for you isnt he?" But he is only 8 years older than me. :confused Thats not alot to be honest.

Age doesnt bother me because its the person you care for, not their age.

I do take the mikey out of my OH reminding him how old he is though, just as a laugh. But i really dont care about it. I love him, thats all that matters! :Razz And he knows that

annemarie482
03-Apr-10, 22:04
i'm 25 and oh is 34,
age has never been an issue for us,
but when i was 18 and he was 27,
a few locals had a bit to say.
too young, not mature enough etc.....
but 7 years on,engaged, 2 kiddies and a new house later.....
who cares! it worked for us x

Twiggy
03-Apr-10, 22:10
My o.h. was ten and a half years older than me,I never thought about the age gap==oh how I miss him,he died some years back.:cry:

bagpuss
03-Apr-10, 22:18
My chap from my schooldays was three years older than me- but my second husband is actually three years younger. His first wife died in an accident ten years before we met, and he took the jobs far from home because he had nothing to go home for- until now.

Sadly by the time we met, it was too late for children- just wish we'd met sooner. Still, very glad we did.

telfordstar
03-Apr-10, 22:21
Theres 6 years between me and my hubby and it works for us fine, well nearly fine problems start when we argue over what films are classics lol.

annemarie482
03-Apr-10, 22:23
well nearly fine problems start when we argue over what films are classics lol.[/quote]

mine is over my driving lessons!
he forgets when he sat his test it was 17 years ago! lol

annemarie482
03-Apr-10, 22:25
well nearly fine problems start when we argue over what films are classics lol.

mine is my driving lessons lol
he forgets he past his test 17years ago! :lol:

telfordstar
03-Apr-10, 22:28

Oh we had that as well stevens 18years passed and my alot has changed. I wouldna listen to Gordons advice he used to be heavy on the gas!!! lol.

nightspirit
03-Apr-10, 22:43
* years between me and my musses - and we get on really well, me sister has had a few boyfriends a lot older than her and has still not quite worked out for her but - well when the right person comes along whatever the age gap - people should just hold their toungs and mind their own !?!?!?

NLP
03-Apr-10, 22:48
My OH is 15yrs older than me and it's never been an issue.

teenybash
03-Apr-10, 23:23
Love takes no notice of age..................:)

northener
03-Apr-10, 23:26

Next time he starts gurning, AM, just tell him I'll take him out for an hour and kick his arse for him.:Razz

annemarie482
03-Apr-10, 23:42
Next time he starts gurning, AM, just tell him I'll take him out for an hour and kick his arse for him.:Razz

LOL! must be an age thing!

Rictina
03-Apr-10, 23:47
My o/h is 12 years older than me, & I must admit we did get a few funny glances in the early days, but 19 yrs on we never think about it.

Age is just a number, your as old as you feel. ;)

Tubthumper
04-Apr-10, 00:20
My OH is 8 years older, I think he misses a lot of my points but we still manage to get on OK.

Alan16
04-Apr-10, 04:27
My girlfriend is 3 years older than me, so that's not really a big age gap. In past relationships I've always been the younger of the two of us, which seems to me to be bucking the trend slightly. Most of the time, well certainly with people I know, it seems to be the guy who is older in the relationship.

Either way it isn't important. If you love each other age shouldn't matter to you, and it's only you you need to worry about, not what other people think.

John Little
04-Apr-10, 09:23
Age is just a number...

spaceddaisy
04-Apr-10, 09:32
I'm 24 and used to think that my absolute limit was 10 years older (but no younger, I tend to find younger guys a bit immature) but after a relationship where there was a larger age gap than 10 years I just view age as a number. Although I don't see myself with someone collecting their pension anytime soon ;)

Had a discussion with my friends about this at the weekend, although we agreed that age was just a number they reckoned on a formula for how young it was ok to date. Apparently, half your age and add 7 years and that's the youngest acceptable age. I'm not sure that I fully agree with that though, a previous relationship of mine would never have gone ahead had we stuck to that haha.

The Drunken Duck
04-Apr-10, 09:48
My best mate just turned 37 and is going out with a 23 year old Fitness Instructor. If the permanent smile on his face is anything to go by that age gap is a good thing.

The only time I got creeped out at an age difference was when I came home on leave to find a situation where a 23 year old guy kept turning up at Wick High School looking for my 15 year old sister. Wrong, just wrong. He lost interest after we had a chat though.

Stefan
04-Apr-10, 09:50
My OH looks older than me as she is going grey although she is only 4 years older than me.

My family also has a gene going on that makes us look a lot younger. My mums new husband is 17 years younger than her but when you see them together they look the same age. My dad is 66 and he gets a few looks when out with his wife, who is the same age... he looks more like in his 40ies.

My OH half has been asked a few times if I was her son....needless to say she was fuming and wants to die my hair grey and carve wrinkles into my face.....lol!

I usually get "the look" when I tell people my age as they think I am a lot younger. Can be a nuisance as I still get ID'ed although I am over 40 !!!!

But generally I don't think age makes any difference to a relationship. You can compliment each other.

ShelleyCowie
04-Apr-10, 10:32
Big oops! My boyfriend is only 7 years older than me, not 8! I was thinkin he was another year older than he is :lol: oopsie!

wicker8
04-Apr-10, 13:38
my oh is 5 years old than me i have not got a problems with the age gap if a couple are happy then thats all that really matters although i prefer older men more mature etc

donnick
04-Apr-10, 15:35
hello well me and the other half (husband) there is 8 year of dif between us its me who has the toyboy hes far more sensible than i am and so far it has never caused us any bother was are n the same wave length have wur on hobbies and it all seems to fall in to place we respect each other and our opinions it just works :Razz

Vistravi
04-Apr-10, 16:26
I was 19 when i met my partner and he has told me before that i was the best thing and i came at the right time. He'd just gotten over the last girlfriend who he'd been with for a year and he said to me that if we had meet earlier than we did it would've been too early and we'd never have got together. He'd been hurt in the past by lassies that have cheated on him and as i am a loyal lass and would never cheat while in a realtionship, he has told me that i've been very good for him.

Now here we are almost 3 years now. Should really trade him in for the next model ;) Or so he says he has to do with me soon lol. :lol:

We have a 3 year age gap with me the younger one but i often feel like i am older than him.

Age is really a number, you're as old or as young as you feel.

Vistravi
04-Apr-10, 16:30
Iv never had a problem with age differences.

When i started seeing my OH a few people had approached me and said "he is a little old for you isnt he?" But he is only 8 years older than me. :confused Thats not alot to be honest.

Age doesnt bother me because its the person you care for, not their age.

I do take the mikey out of my OH reminding him how old he is though, just as a laugh. But i really dont care about it. I love him, thats all that matters! :Razz And he knows that

It helps that he's a big kid at heart ;)

BRIE
04-Apr-10, 21:19
Im 11 years older than my partner & i quite like having a toyboy!!:lol:
We did get quite a few disapproving glares & comments when we were first together & the usual 'oh it will never last!' but 6 years & 2 children later i think weve proved them all wrong!:D

purplelady
04-Apr-10, 22:02
I am 50 this year and my fella is 42 so he is 8 years younger than me i truely belevie age is just a number x

annemarie482
04-Apr-10, 22:08
ok so like me, we all agree age doesn't matter........

lets turn this a bit......

your 16/17 year old daughter/son starts dating someone whos in their late twenties or early thirties!:eek:

or

your 14 year old son/daughter starts dating a 18/19 year old!:eek:

what then?
does age gap have more effect the younger you are? i mean 4 years difference in your twenties is nothing...
but the difference between a 12 year old and 16year old is quite a bit!

what do you think?
anyone been in this situation and how did you deal with it?

John Little
04-Apr-10, 22:10
I think the saying used to be 'Past 30 age is just a number'

Ricco
05-Apr-10, 08:22
My wife is 16 years younger than me - we have been married 22 years, so I don't think age is a problem. As for the new angle - it depends on what 'dating' is. If it is purely dating then the lass has to learn and gain experience somehow, but if anything sexual begins then she is too young anyway.

katarina
05-Apr-10, 15:20
Women live on an average ten years longer than men, so Idealy gals should be with a guy who is ten years younger. No one wants to be left alone in this life.

Loraine
05-Apr-10, 16:43
My younger brother is getting married next month. His fiancee is 8 years older than him. Not that it shows!! He still wears the trousers..... :roll:
I have a friend whose husband is 18 years older than her but they still act like a pair of kids!! You're only as old as you feel, and when you fall in love all the rules you may have had in your head fly straight out the window!! ;)

Gizmo
05-Apr-10, 17:55
I'm 38 and i've just started a new relationship with a 23yr old girl, i'm not exactly your average 38yr old so the 15yr age difference means absolutely nothing to us...lol

annemarie482
05-Apr-10, 17:58
I'm 38 and i've just started a new relationship with a 23yr old girl, i'm not exactly your average 38yr old so the 15yr age difference means absolutely nothing to us...lol

23 year old "woman" (not girl!). is that the age showing?!:lol:

Gizmo
05-Apr-10, 18:03
23 year old woman. is that the age showing?!:lol:

Haha...no, i had my mid-life crisis a long time ago, just met someone that i click with, thats all :D

Kevin Milkins
05-Apr-10, 18:32

Good for you Gizmo,:D I thought you had gone a bit quiet on the org recently.;)

Stefan
05-Apr-10, 19:13

your 16/17 year old daughter/son starts dating someone whos in their late twenties or early thirties!:eek:

or

what then?
does age gap have more effect the younger you are? i mean 4 years difference in your twenties is nothing...

what do you think?

stepson and girlfriend are 26/19, been together nearly 2 years and just made me a grandad.

As long as it's safe and legal (which it wouldn't be in your second example!) I don't see a problem.

Bazeye
05-Apr-10, 19:58

or

what then?

what do you think?

I mentioned on the Org a while back that a lad I work with who's 37 was seeing a lass of 17 who's in my daughters class at college. She's now pregnant. Dont think I'd be too happy if that was my daughter.

wickscorrie
05-Apr-10, 21:35
8 yrs between me and oh, but as long as those who are in the relationship are happy then it is no-one elses business

purplelady
05-Apr-10, 22:28

or

what then?

what do you think?
anyone been in this situation and how did you deal with it?i gree with what you are saying there but i was thinking about it more in age group then age does not matter but deff does when you have a youngster and a lot older man/woman x

Tubthumper
05-Apr-10, 23:21
does age gap have more effect the younger you are? i mean 4 years difference in your twenties is nothing...but the difference between a 12 year old and 16year old is quite a bit! what do you think? anyone been in this situation and how did you deal with it?
I think a quiet word in the lug of the 16 year old half of the budding relationship would be in order.
If that doesn't work, then a much louder word followed up with some form of parentally-enforced exclusion zone.
But be prepared for tears; young love is a wonderful yet terrible thing.

Vistravi
06-Apr-10, 11:48

or

your 14 year old son/daughter starts dating a 18/19 year old!

what then?

what do you think?

That situation is defintly a different kettle of fish. A young lass/lad in both of those situations are still children, they don't have a clue about life yet or what they want out of it.

My younger 15 year old brother had a 12 year old lassie wanting to go out with him recently. My mum told her no and to stay away when she wouldn't take the hint from my brother ;) Thankfully my brother has more sense than that!

Olin
06-Apr-10, 12:44
I don't think it's so much the age difference?

I mean if someone is 40 going with a 25 year old that's going to be more acceptable than a 20 year old and a 15 year old.

Just depends who the people are too...