PDA

View Full Version : Are we as multicultural and accepting as we think we are ?

Alice in Blunderland
03-Apr-10, 18:44
So are we as good as we think we are at accepting all no matter what their creed, colour, name, belief or sexual orientation.

Sometimes I feel we talk the talk but do we quite walk the walk. :confused

canuck
03-Apr-10, 18:49
If we could first accept people of our own creed, colour, name, belief and gender then we might go a long way be be accepting of people of other creeds, colours, names, beliefs and sexual orientations.

onecalledk
03-Apr-10, 18:53
I would love to post that I think we are but we are far far from accepting everyone as they are.

The more "politically correct" this country becomes , the more divided it becomes.

Until we can reach out and accept everyone around us as part of the one big family that is called humanity then I fear that we are far from accepting..........

K

Sara Jevo
03-Apr-10, 18:54
Society is becoming more tolerant. But there's still a long way to go before we could ever say prejudice is negligible - there's still too many people who think they are superior to those who look or live differently to them. And some of them can be so ignorant they are too dumb to recognise themselves as a bigot or whatever.

We're a' Jock Tamson's bairns.

Commore
03-Apr-10, 19:43
In a nutshell no,
the government and all other authorities very much profess that we are, however,
how many incomers to this area, can in all honesty say, that they feel that they are accepted? few, I suspect.

ducati
03-Apr-10, 19:45
When (for example) half of Glasgow hates the other half, there's not much hope is there?

Tubthumper
03-Apr-10, 20:23
How many incomers to this area, can in all honesty say, that they feel that they are accepted? few, I suspect.
I have often wondered about that. I can honestly say I've felt accepted since the day I arrived over 20 years ago. Perhaps a lot of it is to do with the arriver as much as the resident??:confused

Mind you I'm that thick I might have missed the signs...

golach
03-Apr-10, 20:25
When (for example) half of Glasgow hates the other half, there's not much hope is there?

Why would that be I wonder? Are half the Weegies Vegan? [lol]

ducati
03-Apr-10, 20:27
Why would that be I wonder? Are half the Weegies Vegan? [lol]

What has Star Trek got to do with it? :confused

rockchick
03-Apr-10, 20:39
I'm not biased...I hate everyone equally! ;)

northener
03-Apr-10, 20:40
If we could first accept people of our own creed, colour, name, belief and gender then we might go a long way be be accepting of people of other creeds, colours, names, beliefs and sexual orientations.

Ah reckon you've nailed it there, Canuck.

northener
03-Apr-10, 20:41
.....how many incomers to this area, can in all honesty say, that they feel that they are accepted? few, I suspect.

I've always felt that way, whether my neighbours think the same about me may be another thing entirely, mind.:Razz

ducati
03-Apr-10, 20:43
I have often wondered about that. I can honestly say I've felt accepted since the day I arrived over 20 years ago. Perhaps a lot of it is to do with the arriver as much as the resident??:confused

Nobody likes me, it must be because I'm an incomer, I think I'll start a thread [lol]

Alice in Blunderland
03-Apr-10, 20:47

So true, many are ready to stand and judge too quickly. :(

gunnlass
03-Apr-10, 20:50
Why do we have to accept, I think the majority of us put up with it but why do we have to accept it.

annemarie482
03-Apr-10, 20:59
i think the more pc we get, the more hatred we cause.
you cant do or say anything these days without someone taking offense!

i mean come on "baa baa rainbow sheep?!"

Tubthumper
03-Apr-10, 21:01
Why do we have to accept, I think the majority of us put up with it but why do we have to accept it.
Isn't it the same thing?? :eek:
You don't have to leap at a foreigner and give him a kiss to accept the fact he has a right to be alive.:D

Gronnuck
03-Apr-10, 21:02
So are we as good as we think we are at accepting all no matter what their creed, colour, name, belief or sexual orientation.

:( Sadly we’re not as tolerant as we could be. All these equality and discrimination issues have been around for a long time and while there was always discussion and debate progress was being made albeit slowly. Unfortunately under this labour government we have quickly arrived at the point where anyone raising questions or criticising any policies regarding equality and discrimination are immediately attacked as being racist, sexist, homophobic etc.
Political Correctness has stifled debate, people no longer talk through the issues and so many become suspicious and some even resentful :confused.

sam
03-Apr-10, 21:12

We don't, thanks to the government we just are not allowed to say we don't, there are members of my own family i cant accept, so why should i be told i have to accept a stranger, lets face it who likes everyone all the time?

For example If a scots person dislikes another scot so be it, but if a scots person dislikes someone from another culture they are classed as being racist, yet more of the politically correct brigade's logic:confused

cuddlepop
03-Apr-10, 21:19

That was very well put.

I bet you deliver a good sermone without preaching,thats just makes me switch off.:D

cuddlepop
03-Apr-10, 21:23

We are not accepting of peoples disabilities either so until we "see the person" and not the "condition" society will never be cohesive.:D

Sara Jevo
03-Apr-10, 21:27
We don't, thanks to the government we just are not allowed to say we don't, there are members of my own family i cant accept, so why should i be told i have to accept a stranger, lets face it who likes everyone all the time?

For example If a scots person dislikes another scot so be it, but if a scots person dislikes someone from another culture they are classed as being racist, yet more of the politically correct brigade's logic:confused

I think you're falling for some of the right-wing propoganda that goes with the equality and diversity agenda.

No-one is saying everyone has to love and embrace everyone else. People will always like some people and dislike other people.

It becomes a problem when that dislike is motivated by their colour, gender, sexuality etc.

It's wrong to discriminate against someone on those grounds. It becomes racism or homophobia.

Disliking someone because of their behaviour or whatever is inevitable. Disliking someone because of their ethnicity or sexuality shouldn't be. It's plain prejudice. There is a big difference, but it often gets obscured by some of the right-wing ranting that confuses the issue.

sam
03-Apr-10, 21:33
I think you're falling for some of the right-wing propoganda that goes with the equality and diversity agenda.

No-one is saying everyone has to love and embrace everyone else. People will always like some people and dislike other people.

It becomes a problem when that dislike is motivated by their colour, gender, sexuality etc.

It's wrong to discriminate against someone on those grounds. It becomes racism or homophobia.

Disliking someone because of their behaviour or whatever is inevitable. Disliking someone because of their ethnicity or sexuality shouldn't be. It's plain prejudice. There is a big difference, but it often gets obscured by some of the right-wing ranting that confuses the issue.

I know someone who disliked a person who was of a different culture because of things that person had done, but no one wanted to listen to that, they were accused of being racist because the person they disliked was of a different skin colour.
So that is why i am of the opinion i have, its a sad fact of life that many people cant see past a skin colour, but there are a good few who can and just don't like the person, that doesn't make them racist just human
:confused

sam
03-Apr-10, 21:39
We are not accepting of peoples disabilities either so until we "see the person" and not the "condition" society will never be cohesive.:D

I totally agree with you far to many people cant see past a persons disability.

Sara Jevo
03-Apr-10, 21:39
I know someone who disliked a person who was of a different culture because of things that person had done, but no one wanted to listen to that, they were accused of being racist because the person they disliked was of a different skin colour.
So that is why i am of the opinion i have, its a sad fact of life that many people cant see past a skin colour, but there are a good few who can and just don't like the person, that doesn't make them racist just human

I agree with you.

Complaints of racism or homophobia can be a red herring sometimes. It's such a sensitive area that no-one wants to ignore such a complaint, even though it can be nonsense sometimes.

annemarie482
03-Apr-10, 21:44

i also agree, stuck between a rock and a hard place!

Alice in Blunderland
03-Apr-10, 21:50
There is also now a minefield of legislation and rights acts being rolled out. Is this at times causing more harm than good ?

And does any of the legislation truly hold any clout ? :confused

Sara Jevo
03-Apr-10, 21:56
There is also now a minefield of legislation and rights acts being rolled out. Is this at times causing more harm than good ?

And does any of the legislation truly hold any clout ? :confused

Yes, that's true, though I think there is a new Equality Act coming into play that aims to merge all the different laws into a single statute, which may make things easier.

It'll never be perfect - no piece of legislation ever is. But on balance, given the undercurrents of prejudice that still run deep, it's the right way to go, i think

onecalledk
03-Apr-10, 22:08
surely it shouldnt come down to an "authority " telling someone that they should accept something.

surely humanity should accept itself ?

If we all stood back and actually looked to see what makes us all human we would find out that we have more in common that we have differences.....

we all need to breathe, to eat, to sleep......

we spend so much energy proving we are better than the person next to us.... it would be so much more constructive to use that energy to unite ....

we may have a different colour of skin, sexuality, religion but underneath we all need to be loved, to eat and to breathe........

K

fred
03-Apr-10, 22:21
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIlJ8ZCs4jY

Alice in Blunderland
03-Apr-10, 22:50

This is where it all starts to get mucky if you have a genuine dislike for someone why should you be called racist ? You are not seeing anything other than the character of the person.

Phill
03-Apr-10, 23:34
NO!

Simply. We are pillar to post between overkill PC BS and Rightwing BNP point scoring.

We are too focused on seeing 'Groups', 'Minorities', 'Ethnics', 'Gays', 'Disenfranchised' or whatever is popular to the media / politico's this week.

We seem to forget to see the person.

Rictina
03-Apr-10, 23:40
Well I will be moving to Thurso this Summer so we wait & see, LOL.

I do agree with a lot which has been said, & have found this an intresting thread to read.

secrets in symmetry
04-Apr-10, 00:22

I dislike Martians. I despise their religion and their crinkly green skin makes me cringe. Give me a European any day.

Tubthumper
04-Apr-10, 00:22
Hairy oxters does it for me. On girls.

Boozeburglar
04-Apr-10, 01:38
I don't understand the problem some folks have with natural body hair.

I was lucky enuff to start off my knowledge of the opposite sex with a German girl, and I have never had a hang up about it since.

Alice in Blunderland
04-Apr-10, 08:35
Oh well it was worth a try !! :(

cuddlepop
04-Apr-10, 08:46
[quote=Alice in Blunderland;686190]Oh well it was worth a try !! :(

Well you cant say you didnt try.At least you got to almost page 2 before the kids came out to play.;)

Tubthumper
04-Apr-10, 10:26
Now that's a bit harsh. The OP wanted to know if we were as multicultural and accepting as we think we are. Various points of view were posted, mainly indicating that people are generally hacked off with authority telling folk who they can and can't like. Which is emphatically NOT what discrimination legislation is about.
Look at the post 'Accept' vs 'Put Up With' - what's that about? You don't pick on your neighbour on the grounds that he has no legs, or wears a turban, or lives with his boyfriend. You are not being asked to 'Like it' in any way. If he plays his music too loud, or gets blazing and beats his wife, what's the difference between him and some locally-grown lowlife?
And anyway, if your life is completely ruined by the fact that someone is different from you - who is it that has the problem?
That's the thing with the org these days; people want a nice comfortable non-controversial online life, to compensate for the stress that the Daily Mail puts them under.
Caithness is a reasonably tolerant place, apparently. I have no problems as a Scottish incomer, but is the same true for those who run our ethnically-themed restaurants...?
Having disabled, coloured and alternatively-sexed people in my immediate sphere of friends, I see some of the crap that REALLY goes on here. So don't start about bairns.
Anyway, I posted about hairy oxters. Ladies with such hirsute areas are discriminated against and looked on in horror and disgust in the pool. Discuss.

Commore
04-Apr-10, 10:30

You could be right, however, in my experience this simply is not the case.
For the most part, there is acceptance, however, in a tiny minority there is rejection of all things new, and change being unacceptable to those few.

For the rest, there is a general apathy and lack of interest, of indifference which is just as bad as rejection.

The Drunken Duck
04-Apr-10, 10:35
Sorry but the hairy women do nothing for me. Especially the ones with moustaches. They're just downright scary. I find nothing sexy about a woman who thinks it is still 1978 and has the body appearance of a strategically shaved yeti.

I now await the cries of "Hairophobic" and the arrival of the van to take me away for "re-edukshun" .. :D