PDA

View Full Version : Continental Market

Chillie
26-May-06, 00:28
As you could see again we have the Continental (rip off) Market back on our Market Square again. I for one feel they should pay thier own way and not be subsidized by the Highland Council (HC) well (ok us).

As far as I am aware they get everything given to them Free Gratis from the HC. Accommodation, Electric, Pitching fee's, Refuse collection as well as Grant for coming here in the first place, even some hidden one's that we do not know about.

What about the local shopkeeper's who have to scrimp and save to keep a living year in year out without a penny back from the HC, but yes they do get a demand for more rates "pay up now if not your sunk" but yet they throw ten of thousand's of pound's to these travelling people who rip you off even with your eye's open.:mad:

How do you all feel.

sjwahwah
26-May-06, 00:34
can't we all just get along?

anyways.. the council claim they're poor but, they're bloomin' rollin' in it, they're pullin' the wool. Budget is one thing comprehensive accounts are another.

Chillie
26-May-06, 00:39
can't we all just get along?

anyways.. the council claim they're poor but, they're bloomin' rollin' in it, they're pullin' the wool. Budget is one thing comprehensive accounts are another.

No! your are missing the point why subsidize outside traders, look after yer local shop owning rate payer's first.

sjwahwah
26-May-06, 00:46
economy and commerce is ABOUT diversity.

Competition from the outside makes the local businesses better, refreshing and higher quality of goods and service. It is monopoly we should worry about. Simple as that.

sjwahwah
26-May-06, 00:47
subsidize.. there's a red flag.

eckbh
26-May-06, 00:52
Just been there today and they are ripping us off, prices have shot up since their last visit:(

Chillie
26-May-06, 01:16
economy and commerce is ABOUT diversity.

Competition from the outside makes the local businesses better, refreshing and higher quality of goods and service. It is monopoly we should worry about. Simple as that.

Once again you are missing the point, how can you call the Continental Market competiton when you have already said it is the monopoly we should worry about. They have the monopoly for the next 4 day's, they have nothing to lose.

sjwahwah
26-May-06, 01:41
i'm talking about homebase and tescos not travelling markets!

Chillie
26-May-06, 02:00
i'm talking about homebase and tescos not travelling markets!

Ok, Hombase, Tesco, Asda, Newlook, Superdrug, Coop ,Safeway they all pay their rate's the Continental Market pay's nothing, we pay for them to sit there and rip us off. For example today on one stall you got 3 sausage,s for £10.00.

sjwahwah
26-May-06, 04:52
don't buy it then?!?

everbodies gotta make a livin'... can't we just all get along?

:-)

Venture
26-May-06, 07:57
If you dont like the prices then dont go there. I for one like the market. The prices are all displayed before you buy. I dont mind paying a bit extra to get something different. After all its only once a year. I think its great to see such a busy market place no matter where they come from. If its so bad why is it so popular every year.

RandomHero
26-May-06, 10:44
No! your are missing the point why subsidize outside traders, look after yer local shop owning rate payer's first.

But you're quite happy for tesco to come and rip to rear out of your local traders?

burstbucker
26-May-06, 10:56
It's good for the town, and the local traders are getting a spin off from the people who wont normally come into the town centre. Stop complaining and look on the brighter side.

JimH
26-May-06, 11:10
But you're quite happy for tesco to come and rip to rear out of your local traders?
I don't see Tesco ripping the heart out of the community.
The same applies in Wick as Asda does in Thurso.
Local shops who make the effort to keep the local trade will keep their loyal customers, and may get more from the people that Tesco/Asda will bring into the town, rather than have to go to Inverness. Tesco's will have an effect on the two local supermarkets and that will be good for the customers, as some pretty sharp marketing will have to take place between them all.
Homebase will be competition for builders merchants, but good marketing will alleviate this.
AS to the continental market - well it's just another attraction for some - If people don't want to pay the prices they won't - but people will still come to have a look - and that is why they are subsidised by the council.

angela5
26-May-06, 11:40
I don't see Tesco ripping the heart out of the community.
The same applies in Wick as Asda does in Thurso.
Local shops who make the effort to keep the local trade will keep their loyal customers, and may get more from the people that Tesco/Asda will bring into the town, rather than have to go to Inverness. Tesco's will have an effect on the two local supermarkets and that will be good for the customers, as some pretty sharp marketing will have to take place between them all.
Homebase will be competition for builders merchants, but good marketing will alleviate this.

Well said JimH.:D

Rheghead
26-May-06, 12:18

It is probably down to money. The CM is only here once a year and a bit of dig money probably won't stretch to a lot in the grand scheme of things. However, if what what your proposing is to give the same to the local traders then you will obviously have to fork out lodgings or shop rent money for them for week in week out which will amount to a fair-old-wack on your community charge. Personally, I prefer to pay a little for a large amount of diversity instead of a lot for the usual dross.

drotax
26-May-06, 12:29
Also noticed that not all the stalls are back. We must have scared them off!

Murdina Bug
26-May-06, 12:31
The market brings in people to the town creating a lively atmosphere and most likely increasing business for the local shops. I went to Wick instead of Thurso yesterday so that I could have a look at the market as well. I didn't buy anything at the market but did go into 3 other shops to spend my cash.

As someone else said, all the prices are displayed and no-one is forcing you to buy their goods. I didn't think that the prices were that bad actually. Lighten up and just enjoy something different for goodness sake!

Plus the proceeds of the raffle are going towards a local project - the creation of the Bank Row garden.

Whitewater
26-May-06, 12:39
I have been down a look at the market, prices are clearly displayed etc, they have a great selection of cheeses and sausages as well as many other things which we don't normally get from the local shops, not even Tesco or Asda. I have no problem with them.
The local shops all scream about being ripped off by this or that market or supermarket, I would have thought they would have learned something about marketing ages ago, when people began going to Inverness do do their months shopping. I realise they have not got the buying power of Tesco or Asda, but if they had quality and varied stock, people would not mind paying the prices. There are many small delicatessan shops in Inverness that have thrived because of the supermarkets simply because they are selling quality and varied produce, when you do that people do not mind paying a fair price.

Rheghead
26-May-06, 12:41
If there are any Poles selling pictures then I'm not going to it![evil] :Razz

BTW what time do they shut up shop this evening?

candyfloss
26-May-06, 12:55
I was down a look at the market this morning, i know its not very cheap but its only once a year, and its nice to get something different for a change, oh and the smell it makes your mouth water:)

2little2late
26-May-06, 13:25
[QUOTE=Chillie
As far as I am aware they get everything given to them Free Gratis from the HC. Accommodation, Electric, Pitching fee's, Refuse collection as well as Grant for coming here in the first place, even some hidden one's that we do not know about. How do you all feel.[/QUOTE]

I was at the market this morning and I saw a lady with a collection pouch over her shoulder. Perhaps she was collecting pitch fees? Can't see the Highland council giving them free rent when there are some local traders at the market too.

watman
26-May-06, 13:28
I took my kids to the continental market yesterday. What a rip off. Was charged £8 for two small bags of pic mix sweets. Only got a handful each. The sweets were dirty with hairs stuck on half of them. Its filthy. They are just conning us all.

Don Quixote
26-May-06, 13:40
I took my kids to the continental market yesterday. What a rip off. Was charged £8 for two small bags of pic mix sweets. Only got a handful each. The sweets were dirty with hairs stuck on half of them. Its filthy. They are just conning us all.

I hope that you took them back and complained to the stall holder?

mostlyharmless
26-May-06, 16:14
I like the diversity , however I would prefer this diversity to appear in Thurso too why is there no market in Thurso, not an indoor affair a proper street market on the precinct?

The only way to take on the big guys is diversity or supply something they don't have ... this market does a bit of this. but do we get a reciprocal arrangement too!? If we did then this seems a fair way of opening a possible alternative market for all.

sjwahwah
26-May-06, 19:56
how can it be a ripoff if you went and volunteered to buy something?????

all the "big" places like tesco & homebase and all the rest of them.. made in taiwan .. made in africa somewheres... grown in 3rd world country here and there... and what percentage is FAIR TRADE? next to none... so, who's really getting ripped off anyways?

footie chick
26-May-06, 20:48

I firstly would not have paid £8.00 for sweets and if they were dirty I would have gone straight back with them. How many kids in the poorer countrys could you have fed for £8.00?

bagpuss
26-May-06, 22:58
Not all of it is a rip off. In the good old days of Caithness Glass, I used to buy white bone china plates etc- and the stall I headed to was the pottery one- selling factory overstocks- and the items were £1 each- half the price of basic pottery from Homebase or Woolies. I replaced the stuff that gets trashed when my family do the washing up.

My favourite regular stall is the soap and sponges one- a bar of lavender soap in the nightdress drawer gives you a great night's sleep- and one bar of that soap in the bathroom lasts a year. Those are real bargains- and I'll be back down the road tomorrow.

But why does that wonderful baker not come back? The cakes were to die for 2 years ago.

if we get good weather-the local shops do benefit from the highland hordes- after all its in the town centre.

Bingobabe
26-May-06, 23:10
When the market was up last time my father who loves continental food bought a loaf of bread and it cost £4.10 so after that he devolped a taste for the less expensive things in life. I am a self confessed bargain hunter went to bag a new bag at the market seen the price and decided it wasnt right for me.Saying that i do like the market it does make the town center more lively and thats a good thing.:Razz

ice box
27-May-06, 11:44
There just a rip off .... mate of mine bought 4 packets of sweets cost him £32 thank god there not there every weekend .

connieb19
27-May-06, 11:48
There just a rip off .... mate of mine bought 4 packets of sweets cost him £32 thank god there not there every weekend .People shouldn't be eating sweeties anyway. then they have the cheek to complain about the price of dentists. They should do us all a favour and put the price of sweets sky high permanently. Sweets should be a luxury

ice box
27-May-06, 11:51
People shouldn't be eating sweeties anyway. then they have the cheek to complain about the price of dentists. They should do us all a favour and put the price of sweets sky high permanently. Sweets should be a luxurywhats wrong someone stop your cream eggs [lol]

connieb19
27-May-06, 11:54
whats wrong someone stop your cream eggs [lol]That was then, I'm on a diet now icebox so if i can't have sweets then I think no-one shoud have them lol. make them so expensive no-one wants them..lol

angela5
27-May-06, 12:00
There just a rip off .... mate of mine bought 4 packets of sweets cost him £32 thank god there not there every weekend .

He would have been better spending his £32 on fruit!:D

Ann
27-May-06, 12:02

I hope you went to the police and complained about your mate being accosted by the stall holder, pinned against the wall, the money stolen out of his pocket and the sweets rammed into his sweaty little hands!

DISGRACEFUL I SAY!... bring back the birch.

willowbankbear
27-May-06, 12:02
How much Paella can ye get for £32 ? Im hungry, dont fancy the hairy sweeties though lol

connieb19
27-May-06, 12:05
I'm just going down there a look and I'm quite sure that I won't be forced to buy anything I don't want. If people don't like the prices then they shouldn't buy the goods, instead of buying it then complaining.:~(

angela5
27-May-06, 12:09
I'm just going down there a look and I'm quite sure that I won't be forced to buy anything I don't want. If people don't like the prices then they shouldn't buy the goods, instead of buying it then complaining.:~(

The stall holders are not there with their baseball bats threating anyone to spend £32 on sweets, hairy ones or not. why pay £32 for sticky, sugary lumps of teeth rooting goo! then go around peeping they ripped me off.:roll:
More money than sense.

ice box
27-May-06, 12:11
I hope you went to the police and complained about your mate being accosted by the stall holder, pinned against the wall, the money stolen out of his pocket and the sweets rammed into his sweaty little hands!

DISGRACEFUL I SAY!... bring back the birch.
I would of told them were they could stick it ... i think he's framing them lol

angela5
27-May-06, 12:11

Maybe i'll see you there connie, going down myself. We could have a right old natter munching our 30 quid of teeth rooting rubbish.
Will my falser's be up for it!:eek:

connieb19
27-May-06, 12:13
Maybe i'll see you there connie, going down myself. We could have a right old natter munching our 30 quid of teeth rooting rubbish.
Will my falser's be up for it!:eek:I'll just take mines out and suck:eek:

Chillie
27-May-06, 12:47
How much Paella can ye get for £32 ? Im hungry, dont fancy the hairy sweeties though lol

Well I went down a look yesterday, and the smell of that Paella was very tempting, untill this Fat Greasy looking Guy walked out from behind the stall with a Fag hanging from his mouth and said "yes can I help you",to which I just turned and walked away. :mad:

The Angel Of Death
27-May-06, 12:54
mate of mine bought 4 packets of sweets cost him £32 thank god there not there every weekend .
At least dick turpin wore a mask while he was robbin !!!

connieb19
27-May-06, 14:54
Well I'm just back from the market and I thought it was great to see the town so busy. The prices are clearly marked so i can't see why people claim to be ripped off!!:confused

pultneytooner
27-May-06, 15:20
It defeats the purpose of having stalls if they are going to charge so much that people won't buy from them, sure, some will buy their produce but you would think that they could make more money by keeping their prices reasonable. Maybe they think we are soft marks.

pulteney person
27-May-06, 15:54
The little Dutch pancakes were really good. The guy running the stall was doing a roaring trade. He had a sign up yeaterday looking for workers and offering £50 a day.
The 'tattie' stall was extremely busy too. I bought some both days for family and friends.
The German sausages were good too.
I didn't see any greasy looking workers on the paella stall. I bought some and the 2 men serving were clean looking and friendly although I did notice that most of the market traders were smoking although most of them were going out of the stalls to smoke though.
The steak rolls seemed expensive at £4.50 each. I was passing comments (as usual) about the price, not realising that the trader was English and fully understood my broad accent!!! He gave me extra steak and onions and I must say it was lovely.
I spent about £80 at the market during the past 2 days and will be back tomorrow. It's only once a year and it's lovely to see the town centre so busy (despite the weather)
I can understand people complaining about the prices but as others have said - we are not forced to buy. Things were quite expensive and you wouldn't buy it if it was here regularly like every week or month but seeing as it is only once a year, I don't mind.
Oh, and I bought some sweets for someone but used the scoop to pull them all forward before picking mine from the back!!! just in case the ones at the front weren't clean with the amount of people who were in about them. I checked them and they were fine.
The chili cashew nuts were very good too :lol: All that was needed was some German beer but alas, none to be found. Well, you can't have it all :Razz

Woolie
27-May-06, 18:31
I would like to ask does anyone know whos paying for all the extra electricty they are using and whos paying for the cleaning up thats being done after the market has closed? I'm not againist the market at all and agree we don't have to pay their prices what I an against is us having to pay though our council tax to have them here. As for the local shops I don't think they've been any busier because of it I may be wrong.:lol::eek:

Praetorian
27-May-06, 21:19
I still expect the local shops all to be open tomorrow as they were last year. Looking at the cars parked around the town the traffic warden made enough money to pay for the electricity and the clean up and a few dutch pancakes!

Fran
27-May-06, 23:03
Pulteney person......there was german beer when i went to the market yesterday. there was a stall selling all kinds of german items.
I was surprised to see the chinese man selling huge sumari swords. i thought these were classed as dangerous and illegal to sell them in our country. maybe Im wrong.
i enjoyed my walk about, although i didn't buy anything, and i found people were friendly and it was a nice atmosphere. nice to have something different. I did miss the perfume and plants stalls this time.
when the continental market goes to sussex, all shops provide the electricity to the visiting stalls, and they all have to clear up after themselves. the community council, made up of ordinary householders, arranges it all, and there are many more stalls. It is well organised and much better, but then they wont all want to drive the distance to Wick. http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/7/7_1_104.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNfox000)

Chillie
28-May-06, 01:43
I would like to ask does anyone know whos paying for all the extra electricty they are using and whos paying for the cleaning up thats being done after the market has closed? I'm not againist the market at all and agree we don't have to pay their prices what I an against is us having to pay though our council tax to have them here. As for the local shops I don't think they've been any busier because of it I may be wrong.:lol::eek:

Look at my first post this should explain all.

Alice in Blunderland
28-May-06, 08:49
The kids enjoyed a walk around the market yesterday and thought it was great.They bought some of the sweets and took them home to me,they were expensive but its not going to be an everyday affair is it,we have the right to buy or not its up to the individual.A few of the local stalls were still there and I think they were bound to benefit from there being so many more people looking around than on a normal Saturday you wont hear them complaining. ;)

Billy Boy
28-May-06, 11:23
can anyone tell me if the market is open today, if so do you know until what time.?

footie chick
28-May-06, 11:27
can anyone tell me if the market is open today, if so do you know until what time.?

It says on the front page of org that its on and in jog Journal doesnt say time gives http://www.pulteneytown.org dont know if you'll find times on it?

http://whatson.caithness.org/event.php?id=3452 gives times here

angela5
28-May-06, 11:29

It's open, dunno what time though. I'm going down around 2 '0'clock again, the pancakes are to die for. yum! ye'll ken it's me i'll be drooling over the pancake stall.:lol:

angela5
28-May-06, 15:28
All the pancakes were half price. Paella was scrummy too, £2.50 for a tub very reasonable.

ice box
28-May-06, 16:00
All the pancakes were half price. Paella was scrummy too, £2.50 for a tub very reasonable.
I know i followed your trail home lol

angela5
28-May-06, 16:05
I know i followed your trail home lol

:lol: Nice try icebox, the pancakes and paella was so scrummy, i ate them at the market. hmmm!, now unless i had crumbs down my coat.

I noticed You were smacking your lips on that big stick of rock.:lol:

krieve
28-May-06, 16:08
:~( I never went down to the market but I'm beginning to wish i had mmmmmmm rock i love rock lol and pancakes do you have any left Angela [lol]

angela5
28-May-06, 16:11
I never went down to the market but I'm beginning to wish i had mmmmmmm rock i love rock lol and pancakes do you have any left Angela

What do you think?:lol:
Don't even try icebox, i doubt he'd have any rock left the way he was slobbering all over it.[lol]

ice box
28-May-06, 16:12
:lol: Nice try icebox, the pancakes and paella was so scrummy, i ate them at the market. hmmm!, now unless i had crumbs down my coat.

I noticed You were smacking your lips on that big stick of rock.:lol:
And yummy it was too .

krieve
28-May-06, 16:13
Grrrrr you pair are mean :~( :~( lol

Billy Boy
28-May-06, 18:49
we went to the market today and spent a good few pounds, everything was cleary marked and it was our choice to buy so i wouldnt say we were ripped off, and as council tax payer's we certainly have no problems with our money going towards paying for them to come here after all it isnt very oftern that they come and it gives us the chioce to buy stuff that we wouldnt normally get here otherwise:Razz
its

Billy Boy
28-May-06, 18:51
we went to the market today and spent a good few pounds, everything was cleary marked and it was our choice to buy so i wouldnt say we were ripped off, and as council tax payer's we certainly have no problems with our money going towards paying for them to come here after all it isnt very oftern that they come and it gives us the chioce to buy stuff that we wouldnt normally get here otherwise:Razz
its good to see our council tax going towards something constructive rather than wondering where it all goes.
we would welcome them back anytime:)

Astra
28-May-06, 18:58
Aint lidi's continental enough for you all.. there food comes from all over the world and it's cheap too

bagpuss
28-May-06, 21:51
Good point- Lidl's chocolate for example outshines most other folk's- I can't stand Cadbury's now.

For me the real stars of the market weren't the food things- they were my white chine, my pashmina- which by the way was the real thing- and my scented soap. yes it's once a year- and the sweets are overpriced- but it's something very very different. Drinking my coffee out of my nice new white mug-and had a nice colourful weekend- even if it did rain

angela5
28-May-06, 21:58
Good point- Lidl's chocolate for example outshines most other folk's- I can't stand Cadbury's now.

You get a serious dose of diarrhoea eating too much chocolate from Lidls.:D

ice box
28-May-06, 22:02
You get a serious dose of diarrhoea eating too much chocolate from Lidls.:DTell me about it i was on the out house for week :lol:

angela5
28-May-06, 22:08
Tell me about it i was on the out house for week :lol:

Stay clear of their chewing gum also, after munching a packet i noticed it said ' may contain a laxative'. I appreciated the warning!!!! just a pity i only noticed after the packet was done.[lol]

krieve
28-May-06, 22:11
Lidls corneto style ice creams yum yum, I have never tried the chewing gum think i will give it a miss i don't want to spend a week on the toilet.

willowbankbear
28-May-06, 22:42
"Oh Lidls Paella, just give it to me
Delicious Paella from Espana"

Okay it doesnt rhyme but it sure tastes better & costs less than the paella ye get in Somerfields. Cant go wrong with that:Razz

Billy Boy
29-May-06, 09:33
lidls german style pork burger's are lovely jubbly:Razz

Venture
31-May-06, 22:42
For all those who moaned about the Continental Market Traders being subsidised by the Council... it states in todays Courier the only thing the Council did was advertise it. The traders paid for all the expenses themselves.

connieb19
31-May-06, 22:48
For all those who moaned about the Continental Market Traders being subsidised by the Council... it states in todays Courier the only thing the Council did was advertise it. The traders paid for all the expenses themselves.And they will be back in September.:)

angela5
31-May-06, 22:50
And they will be back in September.:)

Minus the swords.:eek:

candyfloss
01-Jun-06, 09:54
Omg! I hope so:eek:
More pancakes to look forward to in september:Razz mmm.....yummy

©Amethyst
01-Jun-06, 10:39

I used to love Lidl's chocolate... but since Lidl's is a two hour walk from mine and a 45 min bus journey (stupid bus times don't co-incide with each other lol) I'd rather just walk 15 minutes and hey presto... I'm at Tesco. Their chocolate is to die for! And if I happen to be at the 24 hr tesco... I make a bee line for the Tim-Tams (over priced since they're imported from Australia but Aussie women are right... sucking your tea through them is just like an... mmmmmmmmmm)

Okay - I'm babbling now lmao

wilma
01-Jun-06, 10:40
whats tim tams? sounds nice

©Amethyst
01-Jun-06, 10:51
whats tim tams? sounds nice

Check it out HERE (http://about-australia-shop.com/timtams.htm)! I'm quite partial to the Tim Tam Slam myself :) lol

Tattie B
01-Jun-06, 11:03
a penquin biscuit works the same maybe doesnt taste so good.just bite one corner off then the opposite one at the other end and suck yer tea or whatever hot drink u got through it.dont forget to pack it in yer mouth quickly or it might land in yer cup.

©Amethyst
01-Jun-06, 11:10
a penquin biscuit works the same maybe doesnt taste so good.just bite one corner off then the opposite one at the other end and suck yer tea or whatever hot drink u got through it.dont forget to pack it in yer mouth quickly or it might land in yer cup.

That's exactly what you do with it, but a tim tam has a completely different consistency. Plus with the caramel tim tams, once the rest's all melted away you're left with a layer of soft, warm caramel on yer tongue. It's great.

Give me a tim tam any day lol

Time for a cuppa and a tim tam (got lots of packing to do tho lol... :( leaving Caithness today)

dunderheed
01-Jun-06, 11:41
Minus the swords.:eek:

why? has it become illegal to sell swords now?

lets face it if the swords aren't there the clueless scum who use them for violence would just use kitchen knives instead? do you wanna ban them too??

angela5
01-Jun-06, 11:48
why? has it become illegal to sell swords now?

lets face it if the swords aren't there the clueless scum who use them for violence would just use kitchen knives instead? do you wanna ban them too??

I was surprized to hear they were selling swords. Did i say it was illegal to sell them?
Yes, kitchen knifes can also be used in crime no i don't want to ban them, what am i gonna peel my tatties with then.:D

The Angel Of Death
01-Jun-06, 12:57
Got me a nice sword at home as well wouldnt dream of going samuri jack in the street with it not for one second

But break into my house and it might just happen to fall of the wall

Wont be long till the pc police have us all eating with plastic knifes and forks not to mention kiddy plastic hammers rubber srewdrivers etc the list goes on and on