PDA

View Full Version : original items

wicker8
03-Apr-10, 12:23
hi all i live in a old victorian house and we are currently doing our dining room we decided to pull out this old cupboard to make more space on doing so we found a row of servant bell really lovely they are we have lived here for 24years and never knew they were there has anyone else found anything interesting

fender
03-Apr-10, 20:09
No, never been in your house mate.

Kevin Milkins
04-Apr-10, 01:12
hi all i live in a old victorian house and we are currently doing our dining room we decided to pull out this old cupboard to make more space on doing so we found a row of servant bell really lovely they are we have lived here for 24years and never knew they were there has anyone else found anything interesting

Nothing that rings a bell.:roll:

John Little
04-Apr-10, 09:32
The previous owners of this house kept a wooden box with all the 'archaology' they dug up in the garden; we have kept this going with the things we have dug up. I have a victorian potted meat jar cut glass stopper from a decanter, and awful lot of pottery, a rusted knife, small bone coms, clay pipes, a bulls-eye lens- but the most intriguing was a shoulder flash from the RFA which I believe is Royal Field Artillery.

But that was nothing compared to what was dug out from a friend's garden which was on the site of an old factory in Peckham which made condoms and which closed in 1939. I have from that a brass graduated, hand made grease gun, with leather washers inside held in place by two washers. The washers are French coins dated 1915 and 1917.

brandy
04-Apr-10, 09:41
wicker.. have you taken any pics of the bells would love to see them

wicker8
04-Apr-10, 13:28
Nothing that rings a bell.:roll: hi there kevin just spot on ?

wicker8
04-Apr-10, 13:33
wicker.. have you taken any pics of the bells would love to see them hi brandy no not yet we have took them down they need a good clean they are brass and mahogany they are a set of six we are going to put them back up once we have decorated etc i will put some pics up then