PDA

View Full Version : 7.5t mot failure sheet

STUDMUFFIN
03-Apr-10, 06:39
does anyone have an old mot failure sheet so i can check it against mine as i have a 7.5ton i want to put through an mot and want it to pass first time. my email is creebridge@btinternet.com

EDDIE
03-Apr-10, 07:41
There is no point looking at an old mot failure sheet if you have no experience in checking and repairing mot work all you have to do is get a mechanic to check it over for you.
If you do take it to a garage you just have to find someone that is genuine with there repair quotes.
Its been known in the past in aberdeen some of the h.g.v garages were winding up the mot testing stations saying there mots were at poor standard and easy to get a pass the idea behind it was that the garages would get more fails so then they would get more work out of the customers and then if the customer complained they could blame it all on the tester for all the defects found and show them the failure sheet.

colingel
03-Apr-10, 08:48
Good luck get a HGV through first time at Wick!!!!

STUDMUFFIN
04-Apr-10, 20:22
still looking, i am capable of doing the work myself but i just need to know what to check

chiel
04-Apr-10, 20:29
why not just put it in for the test you'll know exactly what needs doing then,people come in to my garage an ask e same thing then take it to somewhere else.one tester might pass something, a different tester might fail the same thing,just get it tested at one place ,do the repairs and take it back to the same place,if you take it back soon enough and depending on repairs required,it wont need another full test

Phill
04-Apr-10, 20:46
Google is your friend:

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/MOT%20Inspection%20Checklist%20%28VT%2040%29.pdf

That's the checklist, the refusal (failure) below tells you begger all:

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/Refusal%20of%20MOT%20Certificate%20%28VT%2030%29.p df

I'd still get it to a mekaneek though, better still an MOT station.

EDDIE
04-Apr-10, 22:41
why not just put it in for the test you'll know exactly what needs doing then,people come in to my garage an ask e same thing then take it to somewhere else.one tester might pass something, a different tester might fail the same thing,just get it tested at one place ,do the repairs and take it back to the same place,if you take it back soon enough and depending on repairs required,it wont need another full test

If the truck is going to the vehicle inpectors testing station i wouldnt because if there is a serouis defect the traffic commisioner can put the truck of the road there and then and issue a jv9 if thats what they still call it

rhoda
04-Apr-10, 23:07
I think you'll find the test sheets referred to in the previous post are for cars not lorries. Best to get an HGV mechanic to give you the low down on what you require.

Phill
04-Apr-10, 23:30
I think you'll find the test sheets referred to in the previous post are for cars not lorries. Best to get an HGV mechanic to give you the low down on what you require.

Quite right, I was looking here:

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/forms/vehicletestforms/vehicletestforms.htm#P28_548

sids
05-Apr-10, 08:21
From my oily memory, common failure points are:

play in steering stub pins and joints in steering linkage,

play in suspension pins and bushes (used to be 1/8 of pin diameter as a limit),

broken spring leaves or coils,

loose spring U-bolts,

loose propshaft flanges,

worn universal joints (Hardy Spicers),

perished propshaft bearing rubbers,

loose chassis bolts & rivets,

air tank mountings loose,

cracks in chassis members, rusted cab mountings,

broken rubber engine mountings,

air leaks,

excess smoke,

tyre condition,

slack or broken wheel studs,

brake or steering hoses perished,

brake pipes rusted,

brake actuating levers visibly maladjusted,

brakes ineffective on roller test,

warped brake drums or discs,

dragging brakes,

parking brake ratchet fails to hold,

insufficient reserve travel on parking brake lever,

cab doors insecure,

seat insecure,

pedals slippery,

wiper blades,

lights and reflectors (no cracked lenses),

marker boards missing,

exhaust leaks,

tachograph seals broken,

Not comprehensive or up to date list, but you won't pass if any of these items are not up to standard. But they are up to standard, due to your maintenance regime, aren't they?

colingel
05-Apr-10, 09:53
Have you booked test yet?

Last time I went it was 6 week waiting list

If you like I could recommend guys to look it over for you

sids
05-Apr-10, 11:02
I forgot body condition and whatever holds it onto the chassis!

sids
05-Apr-10, 12:14
Oh wait.....

Leaking shock absorbers!

And insecure wiring.