PDA

View Full Version : Puffins

Seabird
02-Apr-10, 19:23
Spotted my first Puffins of 2010 at Duncansby Head. It's great to see them back.
I did get pics but they are not of the standard i like for the web.

Colin

Anji
03-Apr-10, 15:23
Great news! I left it too late last year going to look for them. I must make a point of getting up to Duncansby within the next month.
They've always been favourites of mine, but I've never actually seen them 'in the flesh'.

carasmam
18-May-10, 16:20
Is this still a good time to see Puffins at Duncansbay? I never know what time of year to go, hope I haven't missed them again :roll:

Kenn
18-May-10, 17:23
Been twice to Duncansby and not a one, even scanned the sea! Saw a few at Dunnet Head a week or so ago and have been out to "Puffin Rock." today. a fair number but seems to be a lot less than previous visits.
I suppose that as they are just starting to incubate eggs, there is not the frenetic activity that happens when they have fledglings.

Loraine
18-May-10, 19:54
We were at Duncansby this evening and saw loads of puffins! Sadly none of them were close to the top of the cliffs - they were all down at the very bottom of the cliffs - you could only see them by standing on the fence and leaning over!! Also we walked the whole way round the fence to the other side of the cliff and saw loads in rows at the bottom of the cliff too, and plenty in the sea. So if you have a good zoom lense on your camera it's worth a look!! Puffins are very cute! :D

pegasus
19-May-10, 01:59
Been twice to Duncansby and not a one, even scanned the sea! Saw a few at Dunnet Head a week or so ago and have been out to "Puffin Rock." today. a fair number but seems to be a lot less than previous visits.
I suppose that as they are just starting to incubate eggs, there is not the frenetic activity that happens when they have fledglings.

is it just me or do things seem to be happening late this year?

ducati
19-May-10, 08:43
We spent a great afternoon this time last year watching puffins flying to an from nests at the stacks at Noss head (just to the right of the path to the castle) must get back this weekend :D

pegasus
22-May-10, 16:08
We spent a great afternoon this time last year watching puffins flying to an from nests at the stacks at Noss head (just to the right of the path to the castle) must get back this weekend :D
sounds nice!

Gleber2
28-May-10, 15:17
I have been watching the puffins at Dunnet Head for 18 years and I have never seen so few at this time of year. Is this reflected in other places?

Seabird
10-Jun-10, 11:21
I've 7 pair at a nesting sight this year, where before there were 22 birds on the water.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e307/seabird72/web%20site/Puffinc9-6-10.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e307/seabird72/web%20site/Puffinf9-6-10.jpg

Colin

Kenn
11-Jun-10, 22:57
Love the 2nd picture,now is he going to fly or is he in training for the next Puffolympics?