PDA

View Full Version : Baby P

highlander
02-Apr-10, 13:00
I find it disgusting that Sharon Shoesmith could get over 1 million compensation because the goverment beefed up information about her to get rid of her, ok it was not right to do this, she felt there was a witch hunt against her with the public and the media. At the end of the day she was in charge of Haringey and let down children who she was employed to protect. The full story is on www.dailymail.co.uk

davie
02-Apr-10, 13:51
Of course it is not right that she may get £1 mill in compensation.
It is also pretty despicable that a Minister of the Crown would stoop so low in order to be noticed.

ducati
02-Apr-10, 14:02
IMHO, she was a skapegoat. The cinical enquiry that wrecked her career orchastrated by that idiot Balls, was no more or less that a witch hunt. She needs the million quid because chances are she will never work again.

Why managers are held responsible for the incompetence of so called professionals is beyond me. If like me you have to try to manage professionals you will know what I mean.

But just to be clear, I blame the case workers for total incompetence. Where is their enquiry?

onecalledk
02-Apr-10, 14:11
It is irrelevant how much "compensation" that she gets, a BABY DIED. All those involved in the case load of that poor child should never be allowed to work in their profession again.

If she had done her job properly she wouldnt be in this position and a baby would still be alive.

THis country has it all round the wrong way. We compensate and reward those who bring harm to others. We reward bad behaviour. We need to stop and look at ourselves as a society.

A society in which a 23 month old baby boy can lie undiscovered in a house for nearly 3 months. There will be more and more of these tragic stories until society gets its act together and starts DOING something BEFORE these tragedies happen.

She shouldnt get a penny. If she never works again then so be it. SHe may not have been fully responsible for Baby Ps death but she could have helped prevent it, here whole department should have.

This is not about job roles and responsibilities , this is about a HUMAN LIFE. I have had the misfortune to be in the company of people who would stop short of helping someone due to it "not being in their job description".....

perhaps society should lend a hand to one another instead of hiding behind job roles and rules .....

K

wicker8
02-Apr-10, 15:34
It is irrelevant how much "compensation" that she gets, a BABY DIED. All those involved in the case load of that poor child should never be allowed to work in their profession again.

If she had done her job properly she wouldnt be in this position and a baby would still be alive.

THis country has it all round the wrong way. We compensate and reward those who bring harm to others. We reward bad behaviour. We need to stop and look at ourselves as a society.

A society in which a 23 month old baby boy can lie undiscovered in a house for nearly 3 months. There will be more and more of these tragic stories until society gets its act together and starts DOING something BEFORE these tragedies happen.

She shouldnt get a penny. If she never works again then so be it. SHe may not have been fully responsible for Baby Ps death but she could have helped prevent it, here whole department should have.

This is not about job roles and responsibilities , this is about a HUMAN LIFE. I have had the misfortune to be in the company of people who would stop short of helping someone due to it "not being in their job description".....

perhaps society should lend a hand to one another instead of hiding behind job roles and rules .....

K you know you have it in one i agree with every word

John Little
02-Apr-10, 15:47
I actually find the whole thing is a symptom of a disease affecting the whole of our society. The sort of person who tends to be elevated to high ranks in bureaucratic organisations these days is exactly the sort of person who should not be there. Police, NHS, Education - doesn't matter where you go.

Let me give an example- schools.

What is a Head teacher?

Is a Head teacher a beacon of excellence, a model to other teachers, a stalwart of order and discipline and totally dedicated to getting pupils their best start in life?

Well I have no doubt that some are.

But the ones I meet are office wallahs.
On paper and on computer screens their schools are perfect; everything runs smoothly and all the paperwork is in order. Every box is ticked, all data collected, the budget balanced, every policy written in black and white and every initiative in place.

Yet in real life the kids swear at and assault their teachers, exam grades plummet, kids leave school barely literate and they hire the cheapest teachers they can get because they have to consider their budgets before all else.

In short to be a Head you do not have to be able to teach - you have to be able to push paper; you are an office manager.

Speaking to Nurses, Policemen, Firemen, Doctors - it's all the same. The people in charge are the clerks.

I have no doubt Shoesmith thinks it all has nothing to do with her. I bet all the paperwork was right.
All the things that you social workers should have been doing will all be down in black and white in a 3 inch thick tome.

So it's not my fault - it's theirs because I wrote down what they should be doing - why did they not follow my instructions?

Of course the instructions may well be impossible; shortage of funds, human rights legislation, sparsity of bodies on the ground because wtf wants to be a social worker these days?

But yes - I did it right - blame the troops not me.

Bloody bean pushers run everything - and while they do this will happen again and again.

While the Police and everyone else do not patrol because they are too busy collecting and inputting date to show their bosses that they can do their jobs

Oh hell I'd better shut up - my blood pressure is going up

Bazeye
02-Apr-10, 16:09
IMHO, she was a skapegoat. The cinical enquiry that wrecked her career orchastrated by that idiot Balls, was no more or less that a witch hunt. She needs the million quid because chances are she will never work again.

Give me a million and I promise I will never ever work again.

The Drunken Duck
02-Apr-10, 16:15
If anyone wants to know what its like to work in social care today, and the problems those at the coalface are up against, then I highly recommend this blog .. http://winstonsmith33.blogspot.com/ ..

The guy works in care homes and is a fish out of water given his common sense view and approaches, how he sticks it I just do not know. I found it a major eye opener seeing as I went through the care system on two occasions as a kid and boy .. how things have changed.

northener
02-Apr-10, 16:29
.....In short to be a Head you do not have to be able to teach - you have to be able to push paper; you are an office manager.......

My sister in laws' father was a very well respected head teacher in West Yorkshire.

He took early retirement quoting near as dammit what you've wrote for his main reason. He said he no longer ran a school, he merely administrated a school.

Alice in Blunderland
02-Apr-10, 17:29
I actually find the whole thing is a symptom of a disease affecting the whole of our society. The sort of person who tends to be elevated to high ranks in bureaucratic organisations these days is exactly the sort of person who should not be there. Police, NHS, Education - doesn't matter where you go.

I so agree with this. In some cases it truly is the lunatics that are running the asylum. [disgust]

hell I'd better shut up - my blood pressure is going up

If I were to start on this subject I would rant forever and my blood pressure would go through the roof also so I shall leave it at that.