PDA

View Full Version : Chippy

redeyedtreefrog
01-Apr-10, 21:48
Which is the best? I think Houston's.

sjr014
01-Apr-10, 21:51
Henriettas in my opinion! They pre fry the chips in Houstons then throw them back in just 2 heat them up n i dont like at! Had a sausage supper fae Henrietta the night yummy!

annemarie482
01-Apr-10, 21:54
i voted harbour, but the best chippy in the north is the la mirage at helmsdale!

redeyedtreefrog
01-Apr-10, 21:57
...but the best chippy in the north is the la mirage at helmsdale!

Ooh definitely.

wicker8
01-Apr-10, 21:58
hi i like henrietta and the staff are nice [paula] very helpful chips are really good and the fish supper mmmm

S&LHEN
01-Apr-10, 22:05
I like Castletown chipshop the fish tastes lovely and the chips are heavenly mmmm:)

Sorry just noticed the poll out of them it would be Henriettas ive tried the pit stop but dont rate it at all

telfordstar
01-Apr-10, 22:19
Best chip shop ever is the trawler in Golspie!!!!! Up here though i like the pit stop.

speedo215
01-Apr-10, 22:40
the pitstop is best for portion size but apart from that they all have their suppers that are better tah in other places but the harbour has the best batter

NLP
01-Apr-10, 22:41
I go to the week side to get a chippy, can't beat Henrietta's.

Kodiak
01-Apr-10, 23:22
None of them, the Very Best Chippy in all of Caithness is the :-

Castletown Chippy.

sweetpea
01-Apr-10, 23:31
I'd vote for Castletown too!:)

donnick
01-Apr-10, 23:39
me too castletown or helmsdale chipper yummy to both

golach
01-Apr-10, 23:43
Castletown chippy is not bad, but nothing to rave about, have to say I have only been there once, maybe a bad night.

Kodiak
01-Apr-10, 23:50
Castletown chippy is not bad, but nothing to rave about, have to say I have only been there once, maybe a bad night.

If you go to Castletown for your chips are they not cold by the time you arrive home in Edinburgh ?

golach
01-Apr-10, 23:53
If you go to Castletown for your chips are they not cold by the time you arrive home in Edinburgh ?

Sighs....if you think that is humour, then your wrong kodiak :(

Kodiak
02-Apr-10, 00:02
No ... Not humour only the truth. In other words how can you state what the Chippy in Castletown is like when you live in Edinburgh.

You might have been in once, but how long ago was that and was it the same owners that have it now, as it has changed hands a few times.

golach
02-Apr-10, 00:08
No ... Not humour only the truth. In other words how can you state what the Chippy in Castletown is like when you live in Edinburgh.

You might have been in once, but how long ago was that and was it the same owners that have it now, as it has changed hands a few times.
kodiak, I do not have to justify my statement to you, I know who the present owner is, and I do come to my home county now and again, I have been in better chippys, the Tailend in Leith Walk, the Anstruther Fish bar to name but two.

Kodiak
02-Apr-10, 00:25
Ahh But this not about Chippys in Leith or Anstruther, it is about here in Caithness.

If is was about the Best Chippy in Scotland I could have gone on about The Deep Sea, Nethergate in Dundee as I lived there for 23 years, or even Dora's in Chip Shop also in Dundee, but I didn't.

I notice you never answered my question, how long has it been since you last in the Castletown Chippy. But I am sure you wont answer and just say I do not have to answer to you.

golach
02-Apr-10, 00:30
I notice you never answered my question, how long has it been since you last in the Castletown Chippy. But I am sure you wont answer and just say I do not have to answer to you.
I had my first and last fish supper from the Castletown chippy in August 2009. and a mute point until you brought it up, the poll was about chippys in Wick if I am not wrong, not Caithness

Kodiak
02-Apr-10, 01:15
Ahhh But Castletown is only 16 miles from Wick. Where Edinburgh is... let me see now... Ah yes about 350 miles from Wick....

Aaldtimer
02-Apr-10, 01:44
Ahh But this not about Chippys in Leith or Anstruther, it is about here in Caithness.

If is was about the Best Chippy in Scotland I could have gone on about The Deep Sea, Nethergate in Dundee as I lived there for 23 years, or even Dora's in Chip Shop also in Dundee, but I didn't.

Jesus wept Kodiak, what the hell is wrong with you?
Why are you getting so wound up about this?
Chill man!:eek:

fender
02-Apr-10, 07:44
My wife makes brilliant chips. says she got the receipe from her old Aunty Bessie!

northener
02-Apr-10, 09:03
Best Chippy in Wick: Henriettas' - without a doubt.

Dunno about Thurso.

Best Chippy in the (wider) area: Trawler at Golspie - closely followed by La Mirage.

buggyracer
02-Apr-10, 09:20
to my knowledege only Henriettas and the Harbour chippy use FRESH local fish, any of the others are using frozen :confused imo you can taste a difference ;)

telfordstar
02-Apr-10, 09:52
to my knowledege only Henriettas and the Harbour chippy use FRESH local fish, any of the others are using frozen :confused imo you can taste a difference ;)

Only thing I hate about henriettas fish is they leave the skin on and I hate that grrrrrr

Leanne
02-Apr-10, 09:54
Only thing I hate about henriettas fish is they leave the skin on and I hate that grrrrrr

That's how you tell the difference between cod and haddie - they take the skin off cod :)

telfordstar
02-Apr-10, 09:57

your on your high horse on this one ain't you. You certinly have a bone to pic with golach that's plain to see but maybe petty picking about a chippy ain't the place to do it.

I live in wick and no matter how great Castletown chippy allegedly is I wouldn't hall myself all the way up there.

Leanne
02-Apr-10, 10:00
Henriettas in my opinion! They pre fry the chips in Houstons then throw them back in just 2 heat them up n i dont like at! Had a sausage supper fae Henrietta the night yummy!

Double frying makes crispier chips :) Heston Blumenthal proved it ;)

ShelleyCowie
02-Apr-10, 10:05
I havent had a chippy in wick since i was about 15 :lol:

Its been quite a few years since i had a chippy from castletown either, so Golach has had one more recently than me.

Robins chippy in Thurso is good, if Robin is working. Other cooks are good too though.

cuddlepop
02-Apr-10, 15:39
It has to be the Castletown chippy for me too as thats the only one I like to get anything from when we're up in that neck of the woods.:D

Bazeye
02-Apr-10, 16:05
Only had a chippy in Wick from the one in the main street, round the corner from Sommerfields. Which ones that?

northener
02-Apr-10, 16:25
Only had a chippy in Wick from the one in the main street, round the corner from Sommerfields. Which ones that?

That be Houstons

Bazeye
02-Apr-10, 16:57
Ill vote for them then.

John Little
02-Apr-10, 17:02
I used to like Cardosi's.
But it's gone now :(

Lavenderblue2
02-Apr-10, 20:04
kodiak, I do not have to justify my statement to you, I know who the present owner is, and I do come to my home county now and again, I have been in better chippys, the Tailend in Leith Walk, the Anstruther Fish bar to name but two.

I have to agree with you on the Anstruther Fish Bar Golach - superb!!

buggyracer
02-Apr-10, 23:16
That's how you tell the difference between cod and haddie - they take the skin off cod :)

with the price of cod they would be very foolish to serve it instead of haddocks :lol:

i thinks its more to do with stopping the fillet falling apart during frying :cool:

Kevin Milkins
03-Apr-10, 00:04
I was having an interesting conversation with some friends last week about some of the things that have changed in our lifetime, (and not necessary for the better).:(

One of the topics of discussion was the old chippy. When I was young, (quite a while ago), you could go into most chip shops and the hot display cabinet would be full of chicken, fish,sausage in batter, etc, and it was always a hard choice to decide what to have to eat that was there in front of you and ready to go.

Most chip shops today seem to have nothing ready and if you ask for a fish, they always say it will take just 5 minutes and usually take twenty.

My friend suggested that it was because fish is so expensive these days that they will only fillet to order, but I would be likely to use a chip shop more often if they had food ready to serve.

Am I on my own with these thoughts.?

Bobinovich
03-Apr-10, 00:12
At the start of the night I dare say some popular items will be cooked ready to go, but I don't mind waiting for something freshly cooked if I'm not in a hurry.

So for the poll, when in Wick I go to Henrietta's, but if I have the choice I'll go to Castletown.

sids
03-Apr-10, 00:17
Naw, only English people call it a chippy.

Foxy
03-Apr-10, 00:58
The best chipshop in Wick, in fact the whole of Caithness is the Harbour chipshop. Food always freshly cooked, fish is lovely and fresh, chicken fillets are home made and the scallop supper is mouthwatering. :D Always have trouble deciding what to have.

Metalattakk
03-Apr-10, 04:45
I was having an interesting conversation with some friends last week about some of the things that have changed in our lifetime, (and not necessary for the better).:(

One of the topics of discussion was the old chippy. When I was young, (quite a while ago), you could go into most chip shops and the hot display cabinet would be full of chicken, fish,sausage in batter, etc, and it was always a hard choice to decide what to have to eat that was there in front of you and ready to go.

Most chip shops today seem to have nothing ready and if you ask for a fish, they always say it will take just 5 minutes and usually take twenty.

My friend suggested that it was because fish is so expensive these days that they will only fillet to order, but I would be likely to use a chip shop more often if they had food ready to serve.

No you're not on your own with these thoughts. The problem is that you're only looking at it from the perspective of a customer.

The proprietor of the fish and chip emporium can't afford to keep their hot displays full of chicken, fish, sausage in batter, etc., because as soon as they're cooked, their lifespan in the hot display is limited. Unless the place is steadily busy, there's no point.

Take Robin's in Thurso. I usually visit on a Friday night, and they mostly have a decent selection waiting in their hot display. Fair enough, Friday night is a busy night and it makes sense to be prepared for it.

But go in on a Wednesday night at 8pm and the hot display is empty. You have to ask for what you want and they'll happily cook to order, because it doesn't make financial sense to cook stuff up front, only to go to waste.

Kevin Milkins
03-Apr-10, 08:55
Naw, only English people call it a chippy.

No, your wrong about that.;)

No you're not on your own with these thoughts. The problem is that you're only looking at it from the perspective of a customer.

The proprietor of the fish and chip emporium can't afford to keep their hot displays full of chicken, fish, sausage in batter, etc., because as soon as they're cooked, their lifespan in the hot display is limited. Unless the place is steadily busy, there's no point.

Take Robin's in Thurso. I usually visit on a Friday night, and they mostly have a decent selection waiting in their hot display. Fair enough, Friday night is a busy night and it makes sense to be prepared for it.

But go in on a Wednesday night at 8pm and the hot display is empty. You have to ask for what you want and they'll happily cook to order, because it doesn't make financial sense to cook stuff up front, only to go to waste.

All very valid points, Metalattakk, but I called at Robins at the beginning of a lunch time a few weeks back and there was nothing at all ready cooked and a couple of people waiting in front of me.

I was about to walk out when the lady asked for my order and I chose to have a fish, she then said it will only take five minutes, (It took twenty).
The other two in the queue were obviously getting agitated by the wait because they were on a lunch break from work.

The proprietors were pleasant and I can see why they would not want to waste food by preemptive cooking, but if I had half an hour for lunch I would not want to spend 20 minutes of it standing in a queue.

annemarie482
03-Apr-10, 09:00

personally, i'd rather wait for my fresh fish to be cooked before my eyes! than accept the dried out ready one in under the heat lamps.
it is not cost effective to have ready cooked food losing quality under a heat lamp, which might never be sold.
quality is worth the wait.
i'd advise phoning on your way to the chippie so its ready when you get there!

annemarie482
03-Apr-10, 09:02
No, your wrong about that.;)

All very valid points, Metalattakk, but I called at Robins at the beginning of a lunch time a few weeks back and there was nothing at all ready cooked and a couple of people waiting in front of me.

I was about to walk out when the lady asked for my order and I chose to have a fish, she then said it will only take five minutes, (It took twenty).
The other two in the queue were obviously getting agitated by the wait because they were on a lunch break from work.

The proprietors were pleasant and I can see why they would not want to waste food by preemptive cooking, but if I had half an hour for lunch I would not want to spend 20 minutes of it standing in a queue.

firstly, you'd have complain had your fish been half cooked, or dried out under a heat lamp.

if you only have half an hour for lunch, then it would definately make sense to pre order for a set time.

unfortuatly chippers can't mind read what will sell.

Kevin Milkins
03-Apr-10, 09:17
firstly, you'd have complain had your fish been half cooked, or dried out under a heat lamp.

if you only have half an hour for lunch, then it would definately make sense to pre order for a set time.

unfortuatly chippers can't mind read what will sell.

You obviously didn't read my first post that posed the question about what has changed.

I suppose it's all down to footfall and I certainly would not want to try and tell a chip shop proprietor how to run his or her business, but I may be guessing correctly that a lot of people are not eating the good old fashion british fish and chips, because the wait is just not worth it.

RN1995
03-Apr-10, 12:40
We used to always go to Houstons but it ended up every single time we went the chips were rock solid with no tattie in them at all, also once we asked for a pie supper and we got it and the pie hadnt been cooked :eek:.
We now go to Henrietta chippy we find this chippy very good, nice food and the staff are very friendly.
The best chippy in the country though is The Rex in Motherwell by far :D

Amy-Winehouse
03-Apr-10, 14:35
Henrietta`s chipper is the best by a country mile imo. Superb service every time, efficent & the foods good- All I ask for. The Lassies are fine as well , keep it up:D

telfordstar
03-Apr-10, 18:08
Henrietta`s chipper is the best by a country mile imo. Superb service every time, efficent & the foods good- All I ask for. The Lassies are fine as well , keep it up:D

Change you signiture line it's now minus 13 in Glasgow tonight :)

annemarie482
03-Apr-10, 20:40
You obviously didn't read my first post that posed the question about what has changed.

I suppose it's all down to footfall and I certainly would not want to try and tell a chip shop proprietor how to run his or her business, but I may be guessing correctly that a lot of people are not eating the good old fashion british fish and chips, because the wait is just not worth it.

Sorry kev, your quite right, typing whilst shouting at the kids again lol!

BIG BLUE
03-Apr-10, 20:50
Houstions red puddings used to be DELICIOUS but i had a red supper last week, first one in years cos i dont live in wick any more and dont stop at a chippy very often, i found that the red pudding tasted like it was pre cooked and the chips wasnt that nice either bit of a shame i loved houstions red suppers as a kid!