PDA

View Full Version : Can you identify the goose ?

queenie
01-Apr-10, 21:15
I've recently taken an interest in birdwatching I'm just learning with the help of a couple of books. I was out at a loch and noticed this goose I first thought it was a Canada goose but according to the books I have the neck at head is the wrong colours but the body kinda fits is it a young Canada goose or is it a different breed altogether can anyone enlighten me please?
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc173/sofee59/IMG_0060.jpg

DeHaviLand
01-Apr-10, 22:12
I think this is a snow goose, in its dark phase. Defo not a Canada goose. If its a snow goose, its a bit of a rarity, pity we cant see the bill better. Good spot anyway.

Kenn
02-Apr-10, 00:28
Looks like some sort of hybrid to me, with the white rump could be a greylag ,bean , brent ,barnacle or even a pink foot goose cross.
Not sure if the species do cross breed but am very used to seeing hybrid ones down south where the ornamental canada goose will cross breed with domesic geese that have escaped giving some very strange looking fowl.
Will be interesting to see what others think.

queenie
02-Apr-10, 00:56
just realise got a better side view of the goose maybe this will help you to identify it

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc173/sofee59/unknowngoose.gif

DeHaviLand
02-Apr-10, 01:33
Hmm, that pic makes it look less like a snow goose. I'm going to go for the hybrid option that Lizz suggested.

Pterodroma
02-Apr-10, 10:35
Queenie - where is this bird?

It could be an hybrid. But there is the possibility that it is an immature dark phase Snow Goose moulting into adult plumage. The young bird has an all dark head and neck and dark bill, so the dark feathers on the head and neck could be the remains of juvenile plumage yet to moult out, though leg colour and bill look odd. I am no expert on the juvenile plumages of this species so do not like to make a positive ID.

Pterodroma

catherine nicol
02-Apr-10, 13:13
I too would be delighted to know where you saw the goose and have a few other birding friends who would be interested.

Please feel free to pm if you would prefer not to disclose publicly.

I often take a run around the county to check to current population and send records online to BTO. So this would be a great record to put forward.

Thanks

queenie
02-Apr-10, 15:53
Pterodroma and catherine nicol I must confess I saw the goose on a small loch down near Falkirk. I know posts are relevant to Caithness but this is the only site I know that has a birdwatching category on it and I know most of the members are helpful with other posts I've posted under different categories.....hope this is ok:confused