PDA

View Full Version : first minister jack mcconnell

rollerboy
25-May-06, 16:02
First Minister Jack McConnell has disclosed that he will not be supporting England in the World Cup. Asked if he would be backing Beckham and the boys he responded with an uncategorical "No I will not."So what do you think? Was Scotland's leader wrong to speak out, do you respect him for being honest, will you be backing Sven's men?

jings00
25-May-06, 16:21
it's up to him who he supports or doesn't support. i won't be supporting the engerland boys, purely because of the media hype that goes along with it, and i can't stand the lack of impartial commentary, etc.

jings00
25-May-06, 16:24
what about you???

Billy Boy
25-May-06, 16:27
it's up to him who he supports or doesn't support. i won't be supporting the engerland boys, purely because of the media hype that goes along with it, and i can't stand the impartial commentary, etc.

well said,the (impartial)commentary has ruined many a good game for me :roll:

JAWS
25-May-06, 16:59
First Minister Jack McConnell has disclosed that he will not be supporting England in the World Cup. Asked if he would be backing Beckham and the boys he responded with an uncategorical "No I will not."So what do you think? Was Scotland's leader wrong to speak out, do you respect him for being honest, will you be backing Sven's men?
Remember, McConnell is a Politician not a Diplomat. He's just doing what Politicians always do, telling people what he thinks they want to hear in order to curry favour.
You can guarantee that if he thought supporting Engerland would get him more votes he would have an instant conversion to being the biggest Engerland Fan in the World.

That is not a reflection on the Scots or Scot's Politicians, it's a comment on all Politicians everywhere, it's just goes with the job. Politicians who speak their mind without a care for the consequences are few and far between, most value their position far too much.

Wasn't McConnell the one who, not too long ago, missed representing Scotland at an Official Ceremony because he found a Golf Club Dinner more important?

I don't care whether he does or does not support England in the World Cup because he has no particular obligation to do so, I just question the motives for his decision.
On the otherhand, where he to be foolish enough to claim he wouldn't support Scotland then I would be joining the rest of you hurling insults because I would consider that he had a huge obligation to do that.

rollerboy
25-May-06, 17:04
Remember, McConnell is a Politician not a Diplomat. He's just doing what Politicians always do, telling people what he thinks they want to hear in order to curry favour.
You can guarantee that if he thought supporting Engerland would get him more votes he would have an instant conversion to being the biggest Engerland Fan in the World.

That is not a reflection on the Scots or Scot's Politicians, it's a comment on all Politicians everywhere, it's just goes with the job. Politicians who speak their mind without a care for the consequences are few and far between, most value their position far too much.

Wasn't McConnell the one who, not too long ago, missed representing Scotland at an Official Ceremony because he found a Golf Club Dinner more important?

I don't care whether he does or does not support England in the World Cup because he has no particular obligation to do so, I just question the motives for his decision.
On the otherhand, where he to be foolish enough to claim he wouldn't support Scotland then I would be joining the rest of you hurling insults because I would consider that he had a huge obligation to do that.great reply mate coulden't have said better myself

riggerboy
25-May-06, 17:20
let the english support england after all their biggest rival is germany not scotland, let scottish ppl support scotland ,and the rest of the world hate the english, do you really want to be in cahoots with the most hated race in the world (the english).scotland is a world apart, go on JACK i`m with you, after 40 years we still hear about it, who at the end of the day in scotland gives a

Rheghead
25-May-06, 17:22
do you really want to be in cahoots with the most hated race in the world (the english).

I think you are wrong on the most hated bit, France consistently comes top of the most hated list.

unicorn
25-May-06, 17:27
I wont be supporting England as they wont be in it long enough lol...... I will be supporting Brazil.

riggerboy
25-May-06, 17:31
I think you are wrong on the most hated bit, France consistently comes top of the most hated list.
no the french are only hated by the english and their leader the great (hahaha)USA .

Saveman
25-May-06, 17:33
Well at least there is no racism on this forum..... :roll:

Rheghead
25-May-06, 17:35
no the french are only hated by the english and their leader the great (hahaha)USA .

You forget all the SE asian ex colonies and all the Northern african countries. Furthermore, do you really think that the world's peoples make any distinction between scotland, england and the UK?

riggerboy
25-May-06, 17:36
least let us all be on our knees and pray to the weakest of the super powers that are fed on the scraps of the 1 that fears the demise of its own doller ?

riggerboy
25-May-06, 17:42
You forget all the SE asian ex colonies and all the Northern african countries.
again not hates as by the rest of the world as the english are, remember the english are the only ppl in history to create complete genocide even hitler didnt mange that, "O" and we the weakest are still paying for the english begging from the mighty doller to help us out and pay for the rebuilding of the geman nation. approximatley 12% of our taxes go to pay of the national debt to the great (hahaha)USA

Rheghead
25-May-06, 17:47
Rigger, don't you think that you are simply translating your national prejudices into a pseudo-world opinion? Again, France comes out on top as the world's most hated on every world poll that I've seen. To make my point a bit clearer, when I lived in Argentina, folk would ask me suspiciously if I was an American, when explained that I was born in God's green and pleasant land, it was all smiles and friendly warmth, despite the bad blood on and off the football field and the southern bogland.

just for laughs (http://politicalhumor.about.com/cs/bushmultimedia/v/blendlesslove.htm)

riggerboy
25-May-06, 17:57
where exactly sre these polls conducted?and dont answer across the world but be truthful and atleast say england and the USA, please get out more the world is bigger than england and its leader, and if you think i`m falling in line with the rest with my thoughts on england the maybe the rest is correct and the mighty is wrong

riggerboy
25-May-06, 17:59
Rigger, don't you think that you are simply translating your national prejudices into a pseudo-world opinion? Again, France comes out on top as the world's most hated on every world poll that I've seen. To make my point a bit clearer, when I lived in Argentina, folk would ask me suspiciously if I was an American, when explained that I was born in God's green and pleasant land, it was all smiles and friendly warmth, despite the bad blood on and off the football field and the southern bogland.

just for laughs (http://politicalhumor.about.com/cs/bushmultimedia/v/blendlesslove.htm)
did you tell them that you are scottish by birth and a weeker by the grace of god.

Rheghead
25-May-06, 18:03
the world is bigger than england and its leader

Who is claiming they are bigger?

Rheghead
25-May-06, 18:04
did you tell them that you are scottish by birth and a weeker by the grace of god.

They would probably had replied "Que?"

landmarker
25-May-06, 18:57
You forget all the SE asian ex colonies and all the Northern african countries. Furthermore, do you really think that the world's peoples make any distinction between scotland, england and the UK?

No, probably because many of them would not know where or what Scotland was.

McConnell can support who he likes. So can anyone. I'm English but football is way too big for its boots these days. I drew Ivory Coast in the works sweep and if they played England in the final I'd want them to win the same thing. Ninety quid is ninety quid after all.

I always root for Scotland when they play ANYBODY! If I lived there I'd shout for them if they played England, especially in a world cup final. Is that likely to happen? Nah. Let's all face it. Auld enmities die hard and it doesn't matter. We'd stand shoulder to shoulder if our islands were threatened as the twentieth century proved. You know we love you really.

landmarker

willowbankbear
25-May-06, 19:02
Joke mcconnel wont support England, probably as he`s a cellic fan . Being brought up down in the central belt, the stereotypical celt favours Eire or Scotland not England, So thats my theory,make of that what you will

golach
25-May-06, 19:05
I'm with Jack for once, that man is not daft, he is a Scottish MP, he never has been a Westminster lacky. Why should he toe the Westminster line? and he got free publicity in the House Of Commons today from thon idjit Jack Straw, is it not a laugh when you see the one of the greatest seats of government i.e. Westminster holding a debate in these troubled times about the Scottish First Ministers football allegiance[lol]

willowbankbear
25-May-06, 19:11
[, is it not a laugh when you see the one of the greatest seats of government i.e. Westminster holding a debate in these troubled times about the Scottish First Ministers football allegiance[lol][/quote]

Why were they not doing job they are so handsomely paid for? Any Orgers in London to sort em oot?:Razz Grrrrrrr

JAWS
25-May-06, 19:20
I'm with Jack for once, that man is not daft, he is a Scottish MP, he never has been a Westminster lacky. Why should he toe the Westminster line? and he got free publicity in the House Of Commons today from thon idjit Jack Straw, is it not a laugh when you see the one of the greatest seats of government i.e. Westminster holding a debate in these troubled times about the Scottish First Ministers football allegiance[lol]Golach, I'm surprised at you, fancy missing the common sense point of view.
Keep Westminster concentrating on Jack and his football affiliations. At least when they are doing that it's keeping them out of mischief and gives them less time to make even more blunders. :D

acameron
25-May-06, 19:59
I am sure I heard on the radio today that if England win the World Cup there will be a holiday in the UK.

Comn the England

canuck
25-May-06, 20:41

Or maybe the guy just doesn't like football, won't be watching and as a result won't be supporting any team.

golach
25-May-06, 20:50
Or maybe the guy just doesn't like football, won't be watching and as a result won't be supporting any team.
Canuck, oh yes he will be watching here is his full statement
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/tm_objectid=17127942%26method=full%26siteid=66633% 26headline=mcconnell%2dwon%2dt%2dback%2dthe%2dengl ish%2d-name_page.html

candyfloss
25-May-06, 22:09
I'll be supporting any team that plays against England.And i like Italy too (Totti's yummy ) and the french:D

ice box
25-May-06, 22:18
I am sure I heard on the radio today that if England win the World Cup there will be a holiday in the UK.

Comn the EnglandWould they do it if Scotland qualified no so why should they get it ... if they win ?

mccaugm
25-May-06, 22:18
[evil]

Comn the England

Damn cheek when Scotland cannot get a national holiday on St Andrews Day!

luskentyre
25-May-06, 23:03
Sorry, but I think the attitude of "I'll support any team that's against England" strikes me as insular, ignorant and is the sort of petty thinking that keeps Scotland as a district and not a country. Do you really feel so threatened by England? Aren't we bigger than that?

JAWS
25-May-06, 23:10
[evil]

Damn cheek when Scotland cannot get a national holiday on St Andrews Day!
That's easily solved. Move one of the two holidays at Hogmanay to St.Andrew's Day. What could be easier?

bigjjuk
26-May-06, 08:58
well as a white english settler, i shall be supporting england with all my heart, i love my country as im sure you do too. When I lived in England I always followed Scotland as I classed them to be part of my country......not anymore. I didnt realise the hatred the scots had for the english, im stunned by it. I got huge stick in the european championships. The media hyp is biased and one sided you guys are right, but you are just creating more aggravation being stuck in the ancient jackobite's V the redcoat era. Since i moved up here my opinions to the scottish have changed, I think you are brilliant, friendly, and an open country, but your hatred of us/me has made me not want the Scottish team to win anything.

riggerboy
26-May-06, 09:16
well as a white english settler, i shall be supporting england with all my heart, i love my country as im sure you do too. When I lived in England I always followed Scotland as I classed them to be part of my country......not anymore. I didnt realise the hatred the scots had for the english, im stunned by it. I got huge stick in the european championships. The media hyp is biased and one sided you guys are right, but you are just creating more aggravation being stuck in the ancient jackobite's V the redcoat era. Since i moved up here my opinions to the scottish have changed, I think you are brilliant, friendly, and an open country, but your hatred of us/me has made me not want the Scottish team to win anything.
its not that we hate you as a person,remember its easier to hate a nation than to hate a person, i have many english friends but i still hate the (in your face) english manner and having to listen to how great you lot are, 200 years ago there was a UK/GB but lets face it now there is just england and that is slowly falling apart,

JimH
26-May-06, 11:41
its not that we hate you as a person,remember its easier to hate a nation than to hate a person, i have many english friends but i still hate the (in your face) english manner and having to listen to how great you lot are, 200 years ago there was a UK/GB but lets face it now there is just england and that is slowly falling apart,
I'm and Englander Ex Pat. I moved to Scotland after many years of watching the Politically Correct Pillocks destroy it as they have done in all the home countries.
As to Jack Mac - Well there is no such thing as bad publicity - has'nt it worked well!!!!

riggerboy
26-May-06, 15:19
Sorry, but I think the attitude of "I'll support any team that's against England" strikes me as insular, ignorant and is the sort of petty thinking that keeps Scotland as a district and not a country. Do you really feel so threatened by England? Aren't we bigger than that?
so in your eyes scotland is a district of england and not a country in its own right, well doesnt that say it all,

golach
26-May-06, 15:42
That's easily solved. Move one of the two holidays at Hogmanay to St.Andrew's Day. What could be easier?
Jaws ..Stop it, I would rather keep my two days at Hogmanay than have a St Andrews Day holiday, I enjoy the "hail fellow, well met", "Auld Lang Syne" type of celebration, but not necessarily the type of celebrations that would follow if we had to celebrate our National Saints day, my mind boggles at what we would have to suffer on the TV, OH NO, the "White Heather Club", and shows of that ilk.
Scotland is a multi cultural nation, and its not all shortbread, heather and tartan, which I am sure is what the directors of the English Broadcasting Company would deam to be what the SCOTS would want to see on St Andys Day. I am forunate as I live in Edinburgh and when you see and feel the atmosphere in Princes Street proir to and on the 31st Dec at Midnight. Its then I feel proud to being a Scot. Not that I dont feel proud the other 364 days of the year.

Rheghead
26-May-06, 16:29
so in your eyes scotland is a district of england and not a country in its own right, well doesnt that say it all,

I don't think that was what luskentyre was getting at, as you fully well knew...

riggerboy
26-May-06, 17:16
I don't think that was what luskentyre was getting at, as you fully well knew...
o so what did he mean then please enlighten me

candyfloss
26-May-06, 17:20
I don't hate the english, i just don't want to have to listen to them going on about it for another 40yrs if they won the world cup again

luskentyre
26-May-06, 17:28
o so what did he mean then please enlighten me

I maybe didn't phrase it very well. I do view Scotland as a country but I do think that our sometimes insular views (especially about the English) hold us back and prevent us from being taken seriously as a nation.

landmarker
26-May-06, 17:52
This is all quite amusing. Cheer for who you like. Most indigenous English would shout for Scotland if they had any chance at all of winning the world cup. Recent immigrants would not give a stuff either way.

'Hatred' is a strong word to use about your neighbour. What a sorry - yet still quite funny thread. I'm a Mancunian and Wales is fifty miles away. I suppose some of them 'hate me' too. The fact that theirs and your lands were plundered and stripped for centuries and ruled with an iron fist was not the fault of the likes of me. It was the landed aristocracy. Save your 'hatred' for them, there are plenty of those north of the border.

Come on Ivory Coast!

Rheghead
26-May-06, 18:03
I don't hate the english, i just don't want to have to listen to them going on about it for another 40yrs if they won the world cup again

To make your outburst meaningful, can you make any assurances that the same won't happen on the very, very slim chance of Scotland winning the World Cup?:roll:

Personally, if Scotland won the world cup, I would like to see everyone wallow in the glory for everafter, in fact, I would like it to happen to shut everyone up about mentioning every five minutes about English media harking on about England winning it under very dubious circumstances.

candyfloss
26-May-06, 19:54
Yep, i suppose they would get sick of us going on if we won the world cup,but i don't think there's much chance of that happening

JAWS
26-May-06, 20:17
To make your outburst meaningful, can you make any assurances that the same won't happen on the very, very slim chance of Scotland winning the World Cup?:roll:

Personally, if Scotland won the world cup, I would like to see everyone wallow in the glory for everafter, in fact, I would like it to happen to shut everyone up about mentioning every five minutes about English media harking on about England winning it under very dubious circumstances.
Be fair Rheghead, the Scots have only been going on and on and on about beating a certain team at Wembley for the last 39 years. It's the extra year that makes all the difference between gloating for a reasonable time and "Going on about it Forever!". :lol:

The stupidest part about "that goal" is that the Media here in Britain fret about the fact that it may or may not have gone in far more than the Germans seem to do. The Germans coped far better with having lost than the English did with having won.

footie chick
26-May-06, 20:52
I will be supporting Australia in the world cup, but although I hate the MEDIA hype if England won if they got to the final I must admit I would be cheering for them unless they played Australia {Wonder what odds I'd get for that?}:roll:

pultneytooner
26-May-06, 21:39
This is all quite amusing. Cheer for who you like. Most indigenous English would shout for Scotland if they had any chance at all of winning the world cup. Recent immigrants would not give a stuff either way.

'Hatred' is a strong word to use about your neighbour. What a sorry - yet still quite funny thread. I'm a Mancunian and Wales is fifty miles away. I suppose some of them 'hate me' too. The fact that theirs and your lands were plundered and stripped for centuries and ruled with an iron fist was not the fault of the likes of me. It was the landed aristocracy. Save your 'hatred' for them, there are plenty of those north of the border.

Come on Ivory Coast!
Comeon landmarker, nobody up here hates the english except some of our more knuckle dragging relatives, scotland was taken over with the help of our own aristocracy not just the english. England couldn't conquer this country without traitors.
If/whenever you move to scotland, you will be most welcome, just don't mention culloden.

landmarker
27-May-06, 08:51
Comeon landmarker, nobody up here hates the english except some of our more knuckle dragging relatives, scotland was taken over with the help of our own aristocracy not just the english. England couldn't conquer this country without traitors.
If/whenever you move to scotland, you will be most welcome, just don't mention culloden.

thanks pult....
An interesting line about traitors. They are 'doing' for England just now.
The new Labour treachery. I'd swing them all from the nearest yard arm.

peter macdonald
27-May-06, 15:29
A few points about Jack Maconnells comments
1 Have the people who critise him never heard of freedom of speech ???
2 He did not pass negative comments about English people
3 Why on earth should any Scots person support an English national football team?? If England had been drawn against Scotland in the group stages then quite rightly England would have been doing their best to beat Scotland and vice versa
I hope we can all just watch the football and enjoy it for what is it instead of getting involved in all this petty rubbish

pultneytooner
27-May-06, 16:25
First Minister Jack McConnell has disclosed that he will not be supporting England in the World Cup. Asked if he would be backing Beckham and the boys he responded with an uncategorical "No I will not."So what do you think? Was Scotland's leader wrong to speak out, do you respect him for being honest, will you be backing Sven's men? Who really cares, he can support who he likes, be it sweden or trinidad and tobago.
Football is football, don't make a big deal out of it unless you want to have wars fought out on the football field instead of the battlefield, hey, maybe thats a better idea then nobody dies.
P.S, where do svens loyalties lie when playing the land of his birth?

pultneytooner
27-May-06, 16:45
I'm with Jack for once, that man is not daft, he is a Scottish MP, he never has been a Westminster lacky. Why should he toe the Westminster line? and he got free publicity in the House Of Commons today from thon idjit Jack Straw, is it not a laugh when you see the one of the greatest seats of government i.e. Westminster holding a debate in these troubled times about the Scottish First Ministers football allegiance[lol] A bit like the 10 O'Clock news headlining with wayne rooney's metatarsal problems, who cares, get on with the real news. Between real news and wayne rooney, I couldn't care less if he never played again, bunch of over-paid fatheads.

teuchter
27-May-06, 20:57
Expecting Scots to support England , the computer says no. Would you expect the French to support Germany because they are neighbours or Swedes to support Norway? People are always going to feel an allegiance to there own country, and just because we are geographically attached to another doesnt mean we cant hope they take a gubbing. Just dont mention the Faroes, its as bad as mentioning the war.

JAWS
27-May-06, 21:47
Expecting Scots to support England , the computer says no. Would you expect the French to support Germany because they are neighbours or Swedes to support Norway? People are always going to feel an allegiance to there own country, and just because we are geographically attached to another doesnt mean we cant hope they take a gubbing. Just dont mention the Faroes, its as bad as mentioning the war.
I promise not to mention the Faeroes! :lol: [lol]
Oops, sorry, it just slipped out. Promise not to mention the Faeroes again.

Seriously though, it's time somebody took the Scottish FA, charged them with treason, hanged them from the nearest gibbet and dumped them in the middle of the Atlantic because I can't imagine anybody wanting to mourn them.

Scotland used to have a team it could be proud of. To be fair, they were never likely to win the World Cup but, by the same token, even the best teams in the World didn't relish being drawn against them.

I find it hard to believe that Scots have suddenly lost their ability to play good Football so the fault must lie with the people who control the SFA.
Somewhere along the line they are failing to spot good young players and give them encouragement.

It's time the SFA were sorted out, permanently!
I don't think I mentioned the Faeroes, or did I?

teuchter
27-May-06, 21:55
JAWS, you are hereby charged with using the "F" word on this board. A lifetime ban is too good for you. Do not pass go , do not collect £200 and please proceed to pick up your monitor and make your way out your front door. Do not stop walking till you feel these fine shores no longer beneath the soles of your shoes. If your as good as that numpty Blaine you might just make Norway before you run out of breath. Mind you it could have been worse. You could have brought San Marino into this conversation.

JAWS
27-May-06, 22:16
JAWS, you are hereby charged with using the "F" word on this board. A lifetime ban is too good for you. Do not pass go , do not collect £200 and please proceed to pick up your monitor and make your way out your front door. Do not stop walking till you feel these fine shores no longer beneath the soles of your shoes. If your as good as that numpty Blaine you might just make Norway before you run out of breath. Mind you it could have been worse. You could have brought San Marino into this conversation.
Please! Even I have a modicum of decency. ;)

landmarker
27-May-06, 22:16
San Marino lolololol. Do you remember that game? when England were expecting to rack up a cricket score of goals and then the minnows of Marino went and pinched one early doors. Magical. I laughed, hooted and hollered for the underdog - I always do. I s'pose I'm one myself.

landmarker

JAWS
28-May-06, 17:37
San Marino lolololol. Do you remember that game? when England were expecting to rack up a cricket score of goals and then the minnows of Marino went and pinched one early doors. Magical. I laughed, hooted and hollered for the underdog - I always do. I s'pose I'm one myself.

landmarker
Now, now, landmarker that's not very nice. Write out one hundred times, "I must not mock the afflicted!" :D