PDA

View Full Version : rising damp/double glazing

yorkshire lassie
31-Mar-10, 17:45
has anybody had any treatment done for rising damp recently? if so, how much did it cost? we've been looking to buy a house that has it and just want a ballpark figure of the cost to get it remedied. also, the same for double glazing - 9 windows and 2 doors. and rewrining! obviously we would get a full survey done before parting with any money but would just like an idea as to whether we should bother at all! thanks in advance.

davie
31-Mar-10, 18:26
A chemical damp proof course should certainly be under £1K on an average house ( cost me about £300 maybe 15 yrs ago)

Ball park figure for d. glazing around £4K and full rewire around another £4K.

Its a while since I was involved with any of these so prices may be a bit low/high.

John Little
31-Mar-10, 18:38
I did my own - it's easy. You hire a machine that pumps silicon into your lower course of bricks and drill them at 4" centres with an 8 mm masonry drill.
Takes a wee bit of effort but it makes a good damp course.

And it does not cost a lot.

davie
31-Mar-10, 18:57
As John L says its easy (if you have a single course of bricks) you can do it all from the outside.
If however you have an old Caithness croftie with 3feet thick walls then you may have to do the job from inside as well, and that can buujjer up the plasterboard.

Phill
31-Mar-10, 19:26
I'd take care to check out the source / cause of the damp too. It may not be a case of a DPC to remedy it.

yorkshire lassie
01-Apr-10, 07:54
thanks for that everyone. at least it gives us some idea of th prices we're talking.

ducati
01-Apr-10, 08:25
thanks for that everyone. at least it gives us some idea of th prices we're talking.

I had it done more recently. First you need a registered installer of damp proof (with at least a 10 year guarantee) or it won't be approved by your Mortgage company and insurance. You are looking more like £12-1800 for say a three bed house (more if it is a bungalow). Windows maybe £3 - 400 each and £1000 per door and frame (from someone like Everest) you can usually get a good deal if you are doing the whole house.

yorkshire lassie
01-Apr-10, 16:10
thanks again. the house is 3 bedroom detached.