PDA

View Full Version : Bull fighting

Invisible
30-Mar-10, 22:57
am just watching the program on bbc1 about Mark the cyclist, and he is in Mexico.

He is at a bull fighting spectable and it said that if a bull fighter dies, they carry on. I can't get over that.

What do you folks think?

annemarie482
31-Mar-10, 00:10
i dare say if they're stupid enough to do it,
then they're happy to take the risks involved!
probably a pride thing......:roll:

Ash87
31-Mar-10, 00:18
Mark the cyclist was once my ski instructor/co ordinator on a school trip to Italy!! :)

Im confused, if the bull fighter dies then how can they carry on? What is the actual aim of bull fighting?

Aaldtimer
31-Mar-10, 03:08
Well, from what I gathered, if the first Matador didn't survive , or the second, or the third, etc...the last one had 6 bulls to kill.
That seemed to be the afternoons entertainment, the killing of 6 bulls.
Machismo rules...pathetic![disgust]

On another theme, yer man seems to be strangely unprepared!
There's no way that I would undertake such a trip without adequate spares for such a long mileage.
Bottom bracket, spokes, pedals, ball races for the head set...this is all TV bull.

Nice scenery though!;)

Invisible
31-Mar-10, 09:28
Mark the cyclist was once my ski instructor/co ordinator on a school trip to Italy!! :)

Im confused, if the bull fighter dies then how can they carry on? What is the actual aim of bull fighting?

They bring out another fighter

ducati
31-Mar-10, 09:36
They should endevour to kill as many matadors as possible [disgust] Followed by the crowd who watch [evil]

Anfield
31-Mar-10, 10:29
Bullfighting is barbaric, cruel and a disgrace to the countries which still allow it. Even regions of Spain have now banned this dark ages spectacle

Do people still think it is the "brave matador" that kills the poor animal?
The bull is repeatedly stabbed by his mates, he just delivers the coup de grace.

Boycott the countries involved and write to tell them why.

More info at:

http://www.iwab.org/

ducati
31-Mar-10, 10:37
Bullfighting is barbaric, cruel and a disgrace to the countries which still allow it. Even regions of Spain have now banned this dark ages spectacle

Do people still think it is the "brave matador" that kills the poor animal?
The bull is repeatedly stabbed by his mates, he just delivers the coup de grace.

Boycott the countries involved and write to tell them why.

More info at:

http://www.iwab.org/

After a brief visit to both many years ago I will never set foot in Spain or Portugal again and I'm not keen on France truth be told. But the biggest fans of Bull Fighting are the Mexicans and the Americans who visit to watch and I believe it is televised in the States.

John Little
31-Mar-10, 10:51
I believe the ending of gladiatorial games by the emperor Honorius was the beginning of bullfighting[

http://www.prayerfoundation.org/favoritemonks/favorite_monks_telemachus_coliseum.ht

The mob wanted their spectacle so when the arenas reopened they used wild animal fights, Bullfights were one of them and they have survived the collapse of the Roman empire by 1500 years.

It'stime they ended imho.

davie
31-Mar-10, 10:57
Having watched 'halal' slaughter in a few places perhaps we should start by asking the Gubmint to ban this practice within the UK.

Write to Commisar G Broon, 10 Downing Street,London, and tell him you are going to boycott his National Health and Pensions Scams. Personally I am resigning from his Income Tax racket right now.

Of course slaughter is just that, whilst bullfighting is done for the spectacle and enjoyment ? of the bloodthirsty, but ultimately both are being cruel to the animal in question.

Once we sort out our own country then maybe we can dictate to others.

Anfield
31-Mar-10, 11:16
Having watched 'halal' slaughter in a few places perhaps we should start by asking the Gubmint to ban this practice within the UK.

Of course slaughter is just that, whilst bullfighting is done for the spectacle and enjoyment ? of the bloodthirsty, but ultimately both are being cruel to the animal in question.

Once we sort out our own country then maybe we can dictate to others.

Whilst the UK meat production leaves a lot to be desired in the rearing and killing of animals, it is one of the better countries in the world for animal welfare. I am a vegetarian and acknowledge that improvements have been made in this field but how long has it taken us?

But as you say above Bullfighting, and in the UK country sports, are purely for the "spectacle and enjoymemt of the bloodthirsty"

So let us set an example to Spain, Mexico and others by stamping out the barbaric practices in the UK which distort the meaning of the word sport

Flashman
31-Mar-10, 15:12
I would like to see a bullfight if ever in Spain, never had a problem with it to be honest.

Anfield
31-Mar-10, 17:28
I would like to see a bullfight if ever in Spain, never had a problem with it to be honest.

Why go to Spain?
I am sure that amongst, Dog Fighting, Badger baiting, Hare Coursing etc. that there is bound to be one that fulfills your bloodlust right here in UK.

suth13
31-Mar-10, 19:32
good point anfield must agree.

misty woman
31-Mar-10, 19:47
Cannot imagine what enjoyment anyone could possible get from watching a bullfight,totally barbaric!

George Brims
31-Mar-10, 20:29
After a brief visit to both many years ago I will never set foot in Spain or Portugal again and I'm not keen on France truth be told. But the biggest fans of Bull Fighting are the Mexicans and the Americans who visit to watch and I believe it is televised in the States.

I believe they no longer kill the bulls in Mexican bull fights. And it is definitely not televised in the US except in the odd documentary. Plenty barbaric crap on US TV, between the cage fighting nonsense and the Outdoor (as in, go outdoors and slaughter things) Channel, but not bullfighting.

davie
31-Mar-10, 21:01
I believe they no longer kill the bulls in Mexican bull fights. And it is definitely not televised in the US except in the odd documentary. Plenty barbaric crap on US TV, between the cage fighting nonsense and the Outdoor (as in, go outdoors and slaughter things) Channel, but not bullfighting.

The programme with Mark Beaumont was recorded as he cycled down through Mexico just a few months ago and that bull was definitely deid when they hauled him out of the arena (the bull, not Mark).

scorrie
31-Mar-10, 21:23

Get it up ye!!

'mon e Bull

Ole!!

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i237/scorrie57/look-at-the-bull-his-horn-is-up-the.jpg

Anfield
31-Mar-10, 22:47
Get it up ye!!

'mon e Bull

Ole!!

I think the absence of a bull ring, knives in the bull, and "brave matador" costume show that this is not a normal event at a bullring.

Flashman
01-Apr-10, 12:43
Why go to Spain?
I am sure that amongst, Dog Fighting, Badger baiting, Hare Coursing etc. that there is bound to be one that fulfills your bloodlust right here in UK.

No I am just curious, it's a cultural thing that I would like to experiance if I was ever there but I cant say bullfighting has ever bothered me.

Anfield
01-Apr-10, 13:11
No I am just curious, it's a cultural thing that I would like to experiance if I was ever there but I cant say bullfighting has ever bothered me.

From what I can remember, some towns in Spain throw goats, sheep, donkeys, and most probably small children, off church towers during certain religious festivals.

Are these also examples of Spains cultural heritage that you would like to see

scorrie
01-Apr-10, 16:55
I think the absence of a bull ring, knives in the bull, and "brave matador" costume show that this is not a normal event at a bullring.

Sheer scale makes it impossible to fit a bull ring into the photo but I believe your logic is sound enough on the other two points, though I struggle to find what difference any of that makes when the photo was posted for fun and as a boost to bull Karma worldwide. I cannot tell you where the incident captured in the photo took place but it may help to know that the photo was titled:-

"Look-at-the-bull-his-horn-is-up-the-Spanish-guys-ass-serves-him-right.jpg"

A bit like Ronseal, the photo does exactly what it says on the tin!!

bekisman
01-Apr-10, 17:48
Sheer scale makes it impossible to fit a bull ring into the photo but I believe your logic is sound enough on the other two points, though I struggle to find what difference any of that makes when the photo was posted for fun and as a boost to bull Karma worldwide. I cannot tell you where the incident captured in the photo took place but it may help to know that the photo was titled:- "Look-at-the-bull-his-horn-is-up-the-Spanish-guys-ass-serves-him-right.jpg" A bit like Ronseal, the photo does exactly what it says on the tin!!

Hi Scorrie, I too find the photo amusing, in actual fact it was Pamplona's running of the bulls;

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/07/0711_050711_runningbulls.html (http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/07/0711_050711_runningbulls.html)

ducati
02-Apr-10, 10:32
Sheer scale makes it impossible to fit a bull ring into the photo but I believe your logic is sound enough on the other two points, though I struggle to find what difference any of that makes when the photo was posted for fun and as a boost to bull Karma worldwide. I cannot tell you where the incident captured in the photo took place but it may help to know that the photo was titled:-

"Look-at-the-bull-his-horn-is-up-the-Spanish-guys-ass-serves-him-right.jpg"

A bit like Ronseal, the photo does exactly what it says on the tin!!

I've seen this on a "when sport goes bad" episode. It is like an amateur hour at a bull fight in Mexico.

porshiepoo
02-Apr-10, 10:43
am just watching the program on bbc1 about Mark the cyclist, and he is in Mexico.

He is at a bull fighting spectable and it said that if a bull fighter dies, they carry on. I can't get over that.

What do you folks think?

Bullfighting is barbaric and personally I could care less how many matadors are killed during the process of this so called 'sport'.

I had the unfortunate opportunity to watch it once. Not live, but we were holidaying in Cuba and watching tv in the afternoon once bullfighting seemed to be the only thing available to watch. Morbid fascination took over.
The whole thing was sickening and I spent the whole time praying that the bull would take out as many fighters and spectators as he could before he was killed.
Sick, sick, sick. I don't understand any sport that involves the taunting of an animal, the chasing of an animal and / or the killing of an animal.

scorrie
02-Apr-10, 15:28
Hi Scorrie, I too find the photo amusing, in actual fact it was Pamplona's running of the bulls;

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/07/0711_050711_runningbulls.html (http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/07/0711_050711_runningbulls.html)

Thanks for the information bekisman, I have seen TV footage of the Pamplona bull run but seem to recall cobbled streets, rather than the sandy conditions in the photo. There are several photos of "Real" Matadors getting a horn in the guts or up the "Bull Ring" but they are too gory for the org. The whole business is torture for entertainment as far as I am concerned. 'Mon e' Bull

bekisman
02-Apr-10, 17:44
Thanks for the information bekisman, I have seen TV footage of the Pamplona bull run but seem to recall cobbled streets, rather than the sandy conditions in the photo. There are several photos of "Real" Matadors getting a horn in the guts or up the "Bull Ring" but they are too gory for the org. The whole business is torture for entertainment as far as I am concerned. 'Mon e' Bull

No problem, agree; usually cobbled streets. In my research I found numerous incidents of Matadors getting a horn in the arse - surprised there are not more killed!