PDA

View Full Version : hero

wicker8
30-Mar-10, 12:04
hi all who is your hero the person you admire well mines are a good few but the winner is churchill the runner up nelson mandella and for a funny note i love donald duck he still makes me laugh:Razz

only me
30-Mar-10, 12:17
mines is florence nightingale my fictional would be goofy

Flashman
30-Mar-10, 12:35
I like all the great hero's from History... Julius Caesar, Robert The Bruce, Napoleon, Nelson, Wellington, Churchhill.... they don't make men like that anymore and it's great reading about their lives. Not that I glorify warfare but I find old fashioned schoolboy heros like that fascinating.

Fav fictional Anti-Hero is of course Sir Harry Flashman.

wicker8
30-Mar-10, 13:03
I like all the great hero's from History... Julius Caesar, Robert The Bruce, Napoleon, Nelson, Wellington, Churchhill.... they don't make men like that anymore and it's great reading about their lives. Not that I glorify warfare but I find old fashioned schoolboy heros like that fascinating.

Fav fictional Anti-Hero is of course Sir Harry Flashman.so very true flashman

upolian
30-Mar-10, 13:09
colin mcrae

hardcore superstar
30-Mar-10, 13:23
chuck norris

he doesn't sleep, he just waits ......

Anfield
30-Mar-10, 14:02
Eddie Izzard, Jane Tomlinson etc etc

northener
30-Mar-10, 14:05
John Lilburne.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Lilburne

John Little
30-Mar-10, 16:09
Being half Scot at least my thoughts tend to ecumenical but for this site, being Scottish, for me there are two logical choices; The Duke of Montrose and the Black Douglas.

I incline to the Douglas

'Ye doot! Then I'll mak siccar!'

Mrs Gunn told me that story in the Miller many years ago.

northener
30-Mar-10, 16:17
Being half Scot at least my thoughts tend to ecumenical but for this site, being Scottish, for me there are two logical choices; The Duke of Montrose and the Black Douglas.

I incline to the Douglas

'Ye doot! Then I'll mak siccar!'

Mrs Gunn told me that story in the Miller many years ago.

Montrose/

Would that be John Graham - First Marquess of Montrose? Royalist General to Charles I?

John Little
30-Mar-10, 16:21
Yes it would - a great soldier, a man of integrity; the man who set Europe alight with the news that he had defeated cavalry with foot soldiers.

Every time I go into a junkshop I look for his sword.

ducati
30-Mar-10, 16:59
Douglas Bader-when I was a small boy, not long after the end of WW2, My dad and my uncles would tell me about him. Then later when I saw the film Reach for the Sky, he was confirmed as my number one all time hero. Many I have admired since, but he is the number one for me.

Fictional Hero: Biggles of course :cool: Closely followed by "Slippery Jim" De Grize (The Stainless Steel Rat) :eek:

The Drunken Duck
30-Mar-10, 17:51
For me it is someone I actually met in 1997, a quietly spoken and very humble Scottish man who won the Victoria Cross aged just 22, Flt Lt William Reid .. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Reid_%28VC%29

ducati
30-Mar-10, 18:30
For me it is someone I actually met in 1997, a quietly spoken and very humble Scottish man who won the Victoria Cross aged just 22, Flt Lt William Reid .. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Reid_%28VC%29

Not a bad Wiki article for once.

I was very lucky to be schooled close to RAF Sealand and being in the ATC in that area I got to meet quite a few RAF heroes. Claim to fame: my dad worked for "Johnny" Johnson in Germany just after the war.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnnie_Johnson_(RAF_officer)

Although my dad was de-mobed in the early '50s and had nothing more to do with the military, he has the RAF Moto on his Grave stone (only because the church wouldn't let us put Buzz Lightyear's on) :D

Of course he is my real hero (Dad, not Buzz Lightyear) :eek: "To infinity and beyond"

It's amazing how emotional you get just writing stuff like that!

The Drunken Duck
30-Mar-10, 19:55
Ducati .. If your dad worked for JJ in Germany after the war would that have been at RAF Wildenrath ??, he was the first Stn Cdr of the unit when it opened in '52 and I was there for a couple of years before it closed until about a month before the lights were turned off. Fantastic place, best years of my life.

Solid effort on the motto though, once a crab ALWAYS a crab !! .. "Per Ardua Ad Astra" means "Through Adversity to the Stars" .. same kind of sentiments as Buzz really !!

ducati
30-Mar-10, 20:11
Ducati .. If your dad worked for JJ in Germany after the war would that have been at RAF Wildenrath ??, he was the first Stn Cdr of the unit when it opened in '52 and I was there for a couple of years before it closed until about a month before the lights were turned off. Fantastic place, best years of my life.

Solid effort on the motto though, once a crab ALWAYS a crab !! .. "Per Ardua Ad Astra" means "Through Adversity to the Stars" .. same kind of sentiments as Buzz really !!

Yes. Dad was RAF Regiment. A Staff Sgt Instructor and also led a Mobile Defence Group, 4 or 5 Landrovers with twin Vickers mounted to defend the Base against 50,000 screaming commies with their T55s? No contest, not surprised they gave it up [lol]

It should have been a Flt Lt who lead the group but staff shortages etc. So Dad thought he ought to carry a side arm and swagger stick. This deeply offended JJ when he decided to accompany a training exercise one night :eek:

I know it was a very happy time for my Dad he had so many stories.

The Drunken Duck
30-Mar-10, 21:51
Yes. Dad was RAF Regiment. A Staff Sgt Instructor and also led a Mobile Defence Group, 4 or 5 Landrovers with twin Vickers mounted to defend the Base against 50,000 screaming commies with their T55s? No contest, not surprised they gave it up [lol]

It should have been a Flt Lt who lead the group but staff shortages etc. So Dad thought he ought to carry a side arm and swagger stick. This deeply offended JJ when he decided to accompany a training exercise one night :eek:

I know it was a very happy time for my Dad he had so many stories.

Well your Dad met a legend, he was one of the greats. I spent many hours in the Regiment Flight doing NBC stuff and Armed Guard training during my time there. I went back a couple of years ago and what was the Regiment Flight admin building is still there, so your Dad's old section still survives, but its a civvy office of some kind now. I will see if I have got it on the photos I took that day and send you a link to it. The airfield doesnt really exist anymore, the runway and most of the buildings have gone as its now a train test site for Siemens and covered in a massive loop of track.

Wilders always had a reputation as a happy unit, so I am not surprised your Dad had a great time there. I didnt want to leave, at that time I was 20 and with three DM's to the pound and a Beer less than a DM I wanted to stay but in hindsight my liver needed the rest !!

ducati
30-Mar-10, 22:12
Well your Dad met a legend, he was one of the greats. I spent many hours in the Regiment Flight doing NBC stuff and Armed Guard training during my time there. I went back a couple of years ago and what was the Regiment Flight admin building is still there, so your Dad's old section still survives, but its a civvy office of some kind now. I will see if I have got it on the photos I took that day and send you a link to it. The airfield doesnt really exist anymore, the runway and most of the buildings have gone as its now a train test site for Siemens and covered in a massive loop of track.

Wilders always had a reputation as a happy unit, so I am not surprised your Dad had a great time there. I didnt want to leave, at that time I was 20 and with three DM's to the pound and a Beer less than a DM I wanted to stay but in hindsight my liver needed the rest !!

Thanks for that, be great to see the Pic if you have it. Digital photography was a picture of the two times table at the time my dad was there [lol]