PDA

View Full Version : Canisbay Show

munron
30-Mar-10, 09:07
This year the Canisbay Show are looking to put together a novice ring for people who would like the opportunity to show their horse / pony but have never had / lost confidence. The idea is there will be a separate ring away from the others and you will not only be judged but given honest feedback. You may not have the confidence to trot or canter but that is ok, you can work at your level as the idea is to build your confidence and not shatter it. You don't need to go out and buy the most expensive of gear or tack, just whatever you have is clean and tidy. The horse as well does not have to be a top quality show horse, just one that you have made the effort to present in as good a condition and turnout as possible.

You may not wish to do a ridden class so their will be the other option of showing inhand. Again the idea is for people to come along and have a good experience and most of all fun. You will be in a ring with others of the same level and probably caking it just as much :)

The options are still very fluid and suggestions are welcome.

In order to do this we need volunteers as well as enough people interested in taking part. The criteria has yet to be set in stone but basically newcomers (any age) or returning after a loss of confidence, long time out. Obviously there has to be some level of trust put onto entrants but if someone comes in the ring on Totillas there might be the odd eyebrow raised :)

To be a volunteer you don't need to have a horse, just a few hours, a half day or all day to spare. It is open to everyone not just the horsey fraternity. Examples of jobs are gate open / close - which, whilst might not be the most exciting sounding job but you get to yap all day to fowk about horses, this job can be for a couple of hours, half day or shift work throughout the day. Other jobs include shadowing the judge (this is an all day commitment) and working in the secretary's caravan.

The show date is the 19th June this year and if enough volunteers show and interest we can set about fine tuning the criteria for the classes to ensure everyone who wants to gets the opportunity to attend.

To express your interest in any of the above, please PM or email munrond@btinternet.com with your details and what you are able to do and I will pass it on. You will then be contacted when a meeting can be set up, nothing formal just get everyone round the table type thing to get the plan in place. Anything else you can reply to this thread.

Hopefully we can get a cracking bunch together and have a good time whilst we are at it ;)

Thanks very much.

Jovi
30-Mar-10, 11:27
Hi Munron,sounds like a really good idea,should be popular.Will find out if I'm off that day and get in touch.:D

Kathy@watten
30-Mar-10, 11:54
What a super idea, I plan to show at the show but will not be in those classes, but think it is a super idea for those who are neewbies to the world of showing and will be good for kids and returners. Will also give the less experienced folk or the ones without show animals a chance of prizes and an insight into the hows and whats of the ring........good luck and hopefully you will get full classes!

munron
30-Mar-10, 14:06
Thanks Kathy and Jovi, if you know of anyone else who may not see the org but would be interested please pass the word about.

I should have mentioned that kids under 12 are catered for in first ridden and lead rein. The above 12s may be split so youngsters dont feel intimidated being in with adults, but that is one of the options open.

I am one of these novices and it should give all ladies, gents and kids a chance to show.

There will, hopefully, be a cup for the supreme novice given at the show dance. The good thing about the cup is you can only win it once :)

Ash87
30-Mar-10, 21:04
Sounds great! Have sent you an email :)

donnick
30-Mar-10, 22:15
what a great idea for complete novices ,as sometimes it can be quite daunting to go in a ring with other that may have competed for years .They put in all that work on the day and night before , don't even get a look in as they are not that confident to show .It will only work well if people are honest enough to only enter if they fit the rules you set out .I wish you well in your effort. I would help but will be showing myself as I have done for many a year at this show to show support for a well run show GOOD LUCK :D

munron
31-Mar-10, 08:39
Thanks Donnick, I really hope it comes off.

Ash, sorry I didnt get your email, can you send it again please

Thanks

GruesomeTwosome
01-Apr-10, 12:42
Brilliant idea, I hope it happens. I always think there are never enough horses at shows and definately think it is sometimes owners lack of confidence, this is exactly the type of class that would encourage more to take part. Good luck with this. x

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
01-Apr-10, 13:05
well munro having never taken a horse to a show I might try ma luck!

munron
01-Apr-10, 14:45
Yay the more the better :) I have entered a show before and won....does it count that I was the only one in the class? Anyhoo that was inhand as I didnt have the nerve to ride, so I really hope this comes off.

I was thinking (no always a good sign) that some people would never have prepped a horse for a show and might find that side of it daunting. I should say that as long as the horse / pony is clean and tidy the actual horse type itself wont be judged, so you should stand the same chance on a chunky cob as a slimline show horse.

Anyway I am sure the more experienced show peeps on here would be happy to give advice if anyone was worried.

lorry
05-Apr-10, 00:41
sounds like a good idea.
i do however think that it may be quite difficult to police, for example how are you going to be certain of everyones experience/confidence levels, you may still get the glory hunters especially if the word trophy is mentioned!
in my opinion (for what it is worth) you would need a 'concrete' set of rules defining exactly what is acceptable, to have any chance of making it work.
i wish you luck with it

lorry
05-Apr-10, 00:53
here goes, at the risk of being shot down i also feel that i need to say this

i dont normally go to this show and i know others that dont which i think is because the horse rings are way too small, and the judges arent up to much but it is a nice wee show to take a youngster to. in my mind this show is aimed more at a novice level already.
maybe the committee could look at the existing issues that the horsey ones bring up every year at the same time that you are looking at how/which extra classes to hold.

munron
05-Apr-10, 08:03
Hi Lorry

I understand your concerns on glory hunters, and to be honest the best we can hope for is that everyone, who wants to take part, does so for the right reason. It would be a shame but if someone wanted to look at a trophy on their mantlepiece that they didnt deserve then they should be asking questions of themselves.

I think it is really about what the person wants to achieve, myself personally I want to get dressed up in my spankers, get my horse all shiney using every product on the market, get my husband to take some photos and to ride round the ring and stay on my horse. I know everyone is not the same but as long as the majority achieve what they set out to do then that is what it is all about.

I dont know about ring sizes but I will mention it to the ones who do.

Judges, well that is always a bone of contention with some people, but what can you do? You will never please everyone and, off course, some people will not win when they think they should.

What I will disagree with is the level of some people attending the show, they are definately not novice and have, that year, become champion at another show. I dont think the Canisbay Show tries to be anything other than what it it, a fun day out for everyone. It is a show that I have always tried to go to, long before I became involved in this, I would choose it over the County Show anyday.

I am sure that if you want a chat with the committee they would be happy to listen to any suggestions etc you have - if you email me I can forward on to them :)

Anyway we still need helpers for all of this to take place so fingers crossed :)

munron
05-Apr-10, 08:16
I was just thinking about what I wrote and it occurred to me that someone might be an excellent rider but has previously been crippled with nerves. I just think that we need to take everyone on trust and as George Michael said you gotta have faith.

I can only put the fact that I have a George Michael song in my head down to lack of sleep, why does your child wake up at 5 on the morning you had pencilled in for a long lie :(

divanp75
05-Apr-10, 12:49
What I will disagree with is the level of some people attending the show, they are definately not novice and have, that year, become champion at another show. I dont think the Canisbay Show tries to be anything other than what it it, a fun day out for everyone. It is a show that I have always tried to go to, long before I became involved in this, I would choose it over the County Show anyday.

I agree with you munron. It is a fun day out, it is not a chaps or nps or someother qualifier so the judges are not going to be the best judges in the country but the entry fee is not £40 either. The ones I have encountered there have been friendly and informative. Canisbay Show is my favorite show, not just because it is just up the road and some how the weather always seems to be decent.