PDA

View Full Version : Being British

pultneytooner
24-May-06, 18:29
One of the British national daily newspapers was asking readers
"what does it mean to be British?". Some of the emails are hilarious but
this is one from a chap in Switzerland ..

"Being British is about driving in a German car to an Irish pub for
a Belgian beer, then travelling home, grabbing an Indian curry or a
Turkish kebab on the way, to sit on Swedish furniture and watch
American shows on a Japanese TV. And the most British thing of all?
Suspicion of anything foreign ".

Alice in Blunderland
24-May-06, 18:33
:eek: Oh my God.....Good job Im Scottish then .:lol:

willowbankbear
24-May-06, 18:35
Cant beat it can ye?[lol] Maybe ye feel scottish, but your passport says otherwise haha

Billy Boy
24-May-06, 18:59
how very strange but true:eek:

Alice in Blunderland
24-May-06, 19:03
Yes but considering that people can be classified as British even when they were born thousands of miles away:roll: Im not going to loose any sleep over that little missprint on my passport Im always going to be Scottish.:lol:

lassieinfife
24-May-06, 19:34
i was brought up in the British forces but always consider my self Scottish first and foremost:lol:

golach
24-May-06, 20:11
I am Scottish first, but British second....and proud to be both

krieve
24-May-06, 20:25
I'm Scottish and proud of it! lol

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j85/kriever/scot180.gif

footie chick
24-May-06, 20:56
Scottish and proud on any form I fill in I always put Scottish not British.:)

ice box
24-May-06, 21:59
Me too scottish through and through and proud of it .

connieb19
24-May-06, 22:00
I'm definately Scottish too..:Razz

dragonfly
24-May-06, 22:06
afraid I'm British :( no way would I put English on a form even though I am

though after living 9/10 of my life in Scotland I feel I am scottish! :Razz

Rheghead
24-May-06, 22:11
I don't think it really matters if we put scottish/english or British on a form. The person reading your form will be instructed to put 'British' on the computer anyway or there will only be a British option for them to pick from on the dropdown menu, so it's no big deal either way.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
24-May-06, 23:07
I'm Scottish first.I have bought many a round over the years for ma fellow British pals.

Once joked to an English friend about Bannockburn.He asked me if you were allowed to canoe on it.

JAWS
24-May-06, 23:13
I'm Scottish first.I have bought many a round over the years for ma fellow British pals.

Once joked to an English friend about Bannockburn.He asked me if you were allowed to canoe on it.
Canoe on Bannockburn? As one of my honourable ancestors said, "Over my dead body!" Pity somebody took him at his word! [lol]

Cedric Farthsbottom III
24-May-06, 23:17
Canoe on Bannockburn? As one of my honourable ancestors said, "Over my dead body!" Pity somebody took him at his word! [lol]

History Jaws man wit does it mean?All us British folk together.A nation to be proud of.And one of our countries has reached the finals of the football World Cup.

Who will I be supporting.My Pride of Britain says.......Trinidad and Tobago!!!!:lol:

willowbankbear
24-May-06, 23:29
History Jaws man wit does it mean?All us British folk together.A nation to be proud of.And one of our countries has reached the finals of the football World Cup.

Who will I be supporting.My Pride of Britain says.......Trinidad and Tobago!!!!:lol:

Big Marvin Andrews plays for Rangers & T&T so ill shout for them,against England & larssons Sweden. Im still Brittish No matter how I look at it, I cant seem to change my passport, Not that Id want to [lol]

Cedric Farthsbottom III
24-May-06, 23:37
Big Marvin Andrews plays for Rangers & T&T so ill shout for them,against England & larssons Sweden. Im still Brittish No matter how I look at it, I cant seem to change my passport, Not that Id want to [lol]

Stone Roses,if England won the World Cup.I'd be well chuffed for them.Fair enough auld Gary Linekar,John Motson,etc would make our lives a misery but I could live wi' that.

Yer British,and knowing ye,I know this is true.I'm Scottish through and through,but if folk called me British I wouldn't bat an eyelid.:lol:

JAWS
25-May-06, 00:19

I never take history seriously, my version usually contains the known actions (I won't say facts) but usually doesn't quite so it in the same way as the "Official" version.

Besides, I'll be keeping an eye on how well Scotland do. Provided they are playing good entertaining football then I'll be cheering them on and I hope they do well.
If Scotland end up playing England I'll have to let you know nearer the time who I will be supporting, and that's not me avoiding the issue, it depends on what type of football both teams are playing and if England are putting me to sleep with negative football I'll be cheering Scotland on against them.

But I'll nae be going south of the Border for a while! ;)

lorraine_2406
25-May-06, 07:32
i was brought up in the British forces but always consider my self Scottish first and foremost:lol:

Because we live in germany with the british forces my youngest who is 6mths old was born in germany but he is scottish through and through and nobody says otherwise (lol)

dunderheed
25-May-06, 07:46
I never take history seriously, my version usually contains the known actions (I won't say facts) but usually doesn't quite so it in the same way as the "Official" version.

Besides, I'll be keeping an eye on how well Scotland do. Provided they are playing good entertaining football then I'll be cheering them on and I hope they do well.
If Scotland end up playing England I'll have to let you know nearer the time who I will be supporting, and that's not me avoiding the issue, it depends on what type of football both teams are playing and if England are putting me to sleep with negative football I'll be cheering Scotland on against them.

But I'll nae be going south of the Border for a while! ;)

jaws the only scotland at the world cup this year is jason scotland of trinidad and tabago, the other scotland didnt qualify:Razz

riggerboy
25-May-06, 09:15
scottish by birth and a weeker by the grace of god,

candyfloss
25-May-06, 09:45
100% scottish and proud of it:cool: http://www.scotlandsource.com/about/thistle.gif

pultneytooner
25-May-06, 13:06

But I'll nae be going south of the Border for a while! ;) Are you fishing again, jaws, you got dunderheed?

plutonio
25-May-06, 13:26
as my signature says below....